Erika's Fully Custom Ammo Straps

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
skcheng
Name: Sherwin Cheng

Erika's Fully Custom Ammo Straps

Post by skcheng » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:13 am

With Erika's permission, I thought I would post about purchasing one of her custom ammo straps. It's not completed yet, but so far the communication has been really wonderful, and the process has been quite a bit more "custom" than I'm used to even though I must own 100 straps LOL!!

I requested a strap for my Seiko MM300. This is a watch that I think works well with just about any strap. But even though I enjoy bracelets and rubber straps, I just always seem to feel comfortable with leather, regardless of which watch I happen to be wearing.

First thing Erika asked me was which leather I would prefer for my custom strap.

Here was Erika's first reply:

With regards to the ammo strap I have several leathers in brown of which I am attaching some swatches. They are military leathers and have amazing patina (Swiss/Swedish/Belgian/French). Depending on the leather I make these with a thickness tapering from approx. 4-4,5mm at the head to 2,5-2mm at the buckle/end. This way you have maximum support for the watch and comfort/softness wearing it. Please remember that most of the vintage leathers are a found and uncleaned in the pictures. They will become a bit darker and deeper when cleaned/polished.

along with measurement requests:

I also need the following information from your current strap for size reference. (picture below)
Measure.jpg
Next up was some of the leather choices. Swiss, French or Swedish ammo:

Ammo French 2.jpg
Ammo Swiss.jpg
Ammo Swedish.jpg

I opted for a Swedish ammo strap for the interesting texture. I requested a smaller, tighter stitch for the 20mm width MM300 and here was an example Erika made for a customer of hers:

Erika's Ammo.jpg

Erika sent me an invoice for a fully stitched strap and one day later, I got this progress pic along with this note:

I make the straps so they will also fit the 2.00 mm fat Seiko springbars.
Bigger = better. S0 1,8 of 2,0

Attached is a picture of the progress. Short side waxed and burnished long side ready to go.

I'll update this post with further progress pics and a watch shot when I receive the strap!! Really looking to receiving my ammo along with my MN and Black Ops straps!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

skcheng

Re: Erika's Fully Custom Ammo Straps

Post by skcheng » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:45 am

Further updates. Erika tapers the ammo strap at a thicker 6mm to 3mm at the buckle. This is nice since having 6mm stuffed through a thick keeper equals a nice fat lump in the middle of the wrist. Fine to wear, but often annoying if you're spending a lot of time typing away.

I have included a few pics of the progress. In one of the pics you can see the thickness of the strap going from 6mm at the head to 3mm on the wrist. The 6mm best supports the head and the 3mm makes it comfortable to wear. The strap will accept the Seiko fat springbars 2,55mm (not 2,00 - my mistake).
You told me you wanted me to select the stitching color but since I am sending you pics of the progress anyway I thought you would like to see the stitching color options….
I haven’t decided which color yet, hesitating between the brown ones ...

I've had Panerai light medium brown ammo straps in various stitch colors, so I know all of these colors will look nice!!

Whatever Erika feels like doing :grin: :grin:

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:26 am

Lookin' good! :thumbsup:

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:06 am

I like it!

I thought she just made those parachute pants straps...

skcheng

Post by skcheng » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:20 am

mattcantwin wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:26 am
Lookin' good! :thumbsup:

I'm checking out that GIF of yours and all I can think of is how many desk diving scratches she must have on her dive watch from shoving her hand into the sand like that?? :rolleyes: ;)

skcheng

Post by skcheng » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:22 am

shaneotool wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:06 am
I like it!

I thought she just made those parachute pants straps...

I can't wait for my super bubble plastic elastic wrist straps to come in!! I ordered two!!

Looks like Erika makes all kinds of straps:

http://erikasoriginals.com/

I'll have to ask if she makes men's sandals?? Ammo leather sandals anyone???

skcheng

Post by skcheng » Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 am

Received my package from Erika yesterday. Not bad .....about a week for shipping via 1st class. I'm glad since I was told that it could be longer.

Here is a pic of the strap as completed by Erika:

Leather is really amazing. Really thick at 6mm by the lugs. And a very snug fit on my MM300. On some straps, the tall body of the watch can make things feel a bit wobbly, but not with this strap. Leather tapers down to 3mm, but it's still a tight fit through the buckle which is a nice rounded smaller buckle.

The leather is stiff and thick and will require some break-in which I prefer. I don't actually like leather that feels crazy soft and terry cloth like. This strap can take a beating and will only improve with time.

I provided Erika with a lot of measurements, but due to the thickness of the strap, I'm on the last hole. Lengths seem to be spot on, but I occasionally have slight fitment issues with thicker straps.

I will be ordering another leather strap from Erika for a different watch. I just like leather straps. And this ammo strap is one of the nicest I've owned.

Thanks Erika!! Great job!!

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Tue May 02, 2017 9:01 am

skcheng wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 am

Great job!!

:cheers:

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:02 am

Great combo.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue May 02, 2017 11:52 am

That looks terrific. :clap:

skcheng

Post by skcheng » Wed May 03, 2017 3:47 pm

After two days, strap is breaking in nicely. Ordering another one from Erika :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Wed May 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Thanks for the play by play... makes me want to buy another Panny....
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Wed May 03, 2017 5:28 pm

That looks awesome.