Good deal on NATO

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
Panerai7
Name: Art

Re: Good deal on NATO

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:55 am

andrema wrote:Here is a look at the holes and hardware.Image
Yeah they're definitely using a hole maker/sealer. That's a $2K machine that makes all of the holes at once and seals them. That's why Hungarian guy had a problem with holes 'cause he obviously didn't want to spend that kinda money for just holes.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:06 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:^^^ How did you take those shots?
I'd also like to know?

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:10 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:^^^ How did you take those shots?
iphone with Moment case & lens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:15 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Yeah they're definitely using a hole maker/sealer. That's a $2K machine that makes all of the holes at once and seals them. That's why Hungarian guy had a problem with holes 'cause he obviously didn't want to spend that kinda money for just holes.
Well I wouldn't spend that kind of money just for the hole either.
The Hapa

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:18 pm

Panerai7 wrote:

I prefer to use an existing hole, but I'll need a little blue pill if I'm gonna punch a new one.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:37 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:

I prefer to use an existing hole, but I'll need a little blue pill if I'm gonna punch a new one.
Does yours make a hole and seals it with one penetration?

CGSshorty
Admin

Good deal on NATO

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:22 pm

These Bonds kind of suck. They are too short and the hardware is too roomy to keep the strap tucked back. I'll be cutting mine up for the hardware I think.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:37 pm

CGSshorty wrote:These Bonds kind of suck. They are too short and the hardware is too roomy to keep the strap tucked back. I'll be cutting mine up for the hardware I think.
Buckle is already removable. Still waiting on the seatbelt ones.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:38 pm

CGSshorty wrote:These Bonds kind of suck. They are too short and the hardware is too roomy to keep the strap tucked back. I'll be cutting mine up for the hardware I think.
They say 300mm, are they not?

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:46 pm

The keepers are spaced weird. The 6:00 needs to be moved higher toward the lugs and the tail keepers are spaced a little further apart then what I'm used to. I do like the hardware.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:54 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
kfalk wrote:The keepers are spaced weird. The 6:00 needs to be moved higher toward the lugs and the tail keepers are spaced a little further apart then what I'm used to. I do like the hardware.
Kelly nailed it. They are long enough but there is a huge gap between the keepers.
David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:09 pm

My WatchGecko seat belt natos arrived today. Here are some shots on PO and CWC.

This exact material with Terry's hardware (and old style non-spring bar buckle) would be outstanding. 50% thicker would be even better. The material is very soft, so heavier watches will sag unless pulled very tight. I believe these are 1.2 thick, but 1.8 would be ideal, and they'd still be soft.

Either way, they look great.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:33 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
kfalk wrote:The keepers are spaced weird. The 6:00 needs to be moved higher toward the lugs and the tail keepers are spaced a little further apart then what I'm used to. I do like the hardware.
Kelly nailed it. They are long enough but there is a huge gap between the keepers.
I agree. They suck. The fabric is different then their standard zulu divers...not very soft. The spacing is weird...too long on the keeper end and too short on the strap hole(s) side. I have 6.5" wrist and don't have enough to tuck under both keepers. If these go into production, I doubt they'll sell well at any price.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:41 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
I agree. They suck. The fabric is different then their standard zulu divers...not very soft. The spacing is weird...too long on the keeper end and too short on the strap hole(s) side. I have 6.5" wrist and don't have enough to tuck under both keepers. If these go into production, I doubt they'll sell well at any price.
I've been wearing it on and off for a few days and I don't like them any better. The keepers are enormous compared to the Toxic or Timefactors hardware. They would work well on a leather NATO but are too roomy for nylon.
David St. Hubbins

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:43 pm

Can't wait to get that seatbelt. Will swap hardware to Terry's square hardware.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:45 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
I've been wearing it on and off for a few days and I don't like them any better. The keepers are enormous compared to the Toxic or Timefactors hardware. They would work well on a leather NATO but are too roomy for nylon.

I noticed that too. At first I thought the strap was too thin, but given how stiff it is, increasing the thickness to match the hardware seems bad.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:02 pm

I find the keepers on the seat belt Nato too far apart too (6-12 keepers). I told them so in an email.

blowfish89

Post by blowfish89 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:12 pm

On the zuludiver natos, the last steel keeper (nearest to buckle) is movable, so you can adjust it to where you want it. Is it not the same for the seatbelt ones?

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:18 pm

blowfish89 wrote:On the zuludiver natos, the last steel keeper (nearest to buckle) is movable, so you can adjust it to where you want it. Is it not the same for the seatbelt ones?
It's not, thankfully.

I'm talking the space between the keepers nearest the watch head.

Most watches will certainly be under 54mm, especially in 20mm size. These are farther apart that the ones on a Maratac or Natostrapco. It lays on the wrist better when closer together.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:46 pm

That CWC is such a cool watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkblahblahah
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:51 pm

hoppyjr wrote:My WatchGecko seat belt natos arrived today. Here are some shots on PO and CWC.

This exact material with Terry's hardware (and old style non-spring bar buckle) would be outstanding. 50% thicker would be even better. The material is very soft, so heavier watches will sag unless pulled very tight. I believe these are 1.2 thick, but 1.8 would be ideal, and they'd still be soft.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
The one Timefactors sells in 1.5-1.6mm, so you might want to check it out. It is not very flexible when it is that thick. Also it barely makes it through the keepers if you fold it back.

I honestly will probably never carry a seatbelt material strap. It is to rich for my blood and it is hard enough getting people to pay $50 for a top notch Roo strap. I don't think I would sell many $30 natos.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:54 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:My WatchGecko seat belt natos arrived today. Here are some shots on PO and CWC.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
The one Timefactors sells in 1.5-1.6mm, so you might want to check it out. It is not very flexible when it is that thick. Also it barely makes it through the keepers if you fold it back.

I honestly will probably never carry a seatbelt material strap. It is to rich for my blood and it is hard enough getting people to pay $50 for a top notch Roo strap. I don't think I would sell many $30 natos.
Well, these work on the CWC and are "just ok" on the Planet Ocean, because of its weight. Maybe 1.5 could help that.

The Timefactors ones are same material?

These can make die until you do them perfectly ;)

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:04 pm

[/quote]Well, these work on the CWC and are "just ok" on the Planet Ocean, because of its weight. Maybe 1.5 could help that.

The Timefactors ones are same material?

These can make die until you do them perfectly ;)[/quote]
1.5mm might. I thought the TF one I bought had a rough finish around the buckle holes that I didn't like. But this material is finely woven it is gonna happen no matter what. To me I don't think it would have much longevity around the buckle holes. Then if you use a lighter on these they might really go to shit.

Blushark has a nice thick strap also. But like I said they just aren't what I can carry right now.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:45 pm

^ funny you mention this. I just finished fitting a second "satin" finished one to my Precista. I noticed the hole I needed was already popping out and wouldn't be holding well, so I took it off. I'll be sending an email to WatchGecko to see how they want to handle it. If they expect me to ship it back to the UK on my dime, then they won't ever see me again. If they decide to send a replacement strap, I'll try to burn the hole and see how it holds up. Will advise, probably later in the week.

What I need is the stock Omega NATO for my PO

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:19 am

It's a prototype Ed. They'll probably just refund the money and move on.
Like I said that hole and seal machine is expensive and need to be used on that type of webbing. Not sure if Gecko uses it but BP/Omega does