Marty Straps is open for business

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
Danny_T
The T is for Tacky
Name: Danny

Marty Straps is open for business

Post by Danny_T » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:20 am

I had the pleasure of meeting through this great forum a gentlemen that has a secret. A secret that no one knew about. A secret that we wish we all had the ability to do in our spare time, in front of the television, to help us unwind from the rigors of everyday life. What is this secret you ask? It the secret art of strap making. Marty has been doing this for a while. He makes straps just for himself in his spare time as a hobby, as a method of relaxation and stress relief. He has made hundreds of straps for himself and that no one really knew about. I came to know about this gentleman’s talent at the beginning of this year. He reached out to me to help him out with a part for one of his watches and I was lucky enough to be able to help. It’s what we do as fellow WIS towards one another. That’s what makes this community great.

So fast forward a number of PM’s and Marty was generous and offered to make a few straps for me. He did, and can I tell you they were absolutely awesome! (posted in another thread here). Then I said “man....would these be even more awesome if they were padded!” Now it takes a skilled strap maker to properly and evenly make a fine padded strap. You have to ensure proper thickness and padding to add, proper taper, as well as how long the padding will be to ensure the buckle holes can be punched and strap can be fastened properly. Lots of little ‘extra’ steps are required to nail it down. Mr. Marty said “sure” and when these beauties arrived, I can tell you, he nailed it down like a pro!

Since this adventure it is my pleasure to report that Marty Straps will now offer his straps for sale to watch nuts like us to thoroughly enjoy and fill our strap drawers like we fill our watch boxes.

To contact Marty for a custom made strap to fit your style and watches he can be reached at martystraps@gmail.com

You've seen the other straps he's made me, this slideshow is some of the fine padded examples he has created.

Cheers,

Danny

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Re: Marty Straps is open for business

Post by marchone » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:23 am

I like the padded ones.
only accurate watches are interesting

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:23 am

They look nice. Really nice. Will the real marty please step forward?
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:26 am

These look great. Great like the others you posted a while back as well.

Mart, just leather or canvas as well?
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:28 am

Danny, serious question. Why do people have straps made with only one hole? Seems less than ideal for when you need a micro adjust and frankly to my eye it always looks a bit strange. Just curious about the Motivation behind it. The straps are sweet btw.

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:33 am

ericf4 wrote:Danny, serious question. Why do people have straps made with only one hole? Seems less than ideal for when you need a micro adjust and frankly to my eye it always looks a bit strange. Just curious about the Motivation behind it. The straps are sweet btw.
I rarely if ever need to adjust my straps. Except for my NATOs the others are non-adjustable canvas or rubber/silicone with deployant clasps.

So, call me a one-hole guy.

:raised:

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:37 am

Mart here....from martystraps...
Until very recently I had no desire to start selling straps, but thanks to Danny's encouragement I thought why not?
I currently only make leather straps and no canvas for the simple reason I haven't been able to find decent quality canvas here in Jakarta.
If anybody is interested please don't hesitate to ask any questions! I am not going to create websites etc etc but just like to make straps for anybody that wants one and appreciates my work.
A big thanks to Danny for showing my work in those awesome pics above!

If anybody is interested I am happy to provide some more info on leather I have available, pricing etc etc.

Cheers!
Mart
- Mart -

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:39 am

ericf4 wrote:Danny, serious question. Why do people have straps made with only one hole? Seems less than ideal for when you need a micro adjust and frankly to my eye it always looks a bit strange. Just curious about the Motivation behind it. The straps are sweet btw.
All of mine are made with three holes. Ony the midddle one ever gets used, the other two are to visually balance it. Many custom makers punch far too many holes. Why does a custom strap need 10 holes?
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Danny_T
The T is for Tacky

Post by Danny_T » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:40 am

I had Marty make my straps with NO holes. I punch my own because I want to nail down the best fit to my wrist. I usually will then add one hole one each side of the main hole I punch to allow for wrist size during hot/cold months and when putting on other watches/buckle combos because that all affect the overall 'length' and hole position.
Last edited by Danny_T on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:40 am

marchone wrote:
I rarely if ever need to adjust my straps. Except for my NATOs the others are non-adjustable canvas or rubber/silicone with deployant clasps.

So, call me a one-hole guy.

:raised:
Even so, i just find it a bit odd looking w one hole. Just my opinion.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:41 am

Nice work, Mart. :thumbsup:
David St. Hubbins

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:41 am

CGSshorty wrote:
All of mine are made with three holes. Ony the midddle one ever gets used, the other two are to visually balance it. Many custom makers punch far too many holes. Why does a custom strap need 10 holes?
That's my point it looks unbalanced with one hole to me.

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:45 am

Danny_T wrote:
I had Marty make my straps with NO holes. I punch my own because I want to nail down the best fit to my wrist. I usually will then add one hole one each side of the main hole I punch to allow for wrist size during hot/cold months and when putting on other watches/buckle combos because that all affect the overall 'length' and hole position.
IMHO that's the best way to do it. Truly bespoke and not made to order.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:46 am

The only benefit to punching only one hole is that no one else can strap your watch on at a GTG and mar your previously unused holes (that sounds gay). I hate when a guy with 6" wrists puts on one of my watches and cranks it all the way to the first hole.
David St. Hubbins

Danny_T
The T is for Tacky

Post by Danny_T » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:49 am

ericf4 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
That's my point it looks unbalanced with one hole to me.

You're a dirty guy Eric! More holes the better eh ?

:lol:

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:52 am

those do look proper

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:54 am

First world problems. My hole! My hole!

Actually, it's true.

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:57 am

Great looking straps, Mart.

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:58 am

Mart. U comin to KL anytime?

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:07 am

These straps look really nice. Good luck with the new venture, Mart.

Marjak

Post by Marjak » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks guys!

Mike re KL...for sure in June but if I go before that I will let you know :cheers:
- Mart -

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:18 am

Those really are quite nice looking. Good luck, Mart!
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:09 pm

I have 3 straps from Mart and I have say they are great. He made one that is a butter scotch brown and it has to be the softest leather I have ever felt (and I have touched a BUNCH of leather in my time).

Thanks again Mart!!!

stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Post by stonehead887 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Nice looking straps and I do like the 1 hole thing. (The strap, the strap...) and I think someone mention maybe 3. I think that would look good too and bring in some balance and symmetry. For a true custom strap why not have the exact fit you need with minimal holes. Good work.

Marjak

Post by Marjak » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:12 am

toxicavenger wrote:I have 3 straps from Mart and I have say they are great. He made one that is a butter scotch brown and it has to be the softest leather I have ever felt (and I have touched a BUNCH of leather in my time).

Thanks again Mart!!!
Thanks Terry, that's also my favorite leather. I am glad you like it!
- Mart -