WW1 era style strap

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

WW1 era style strap

Post by River Rat » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:37 am

I have had this Elgin with wire lug case in my watch box for a while. Never had a watch strap that would make me want to wear it. Then I found some one who makes straps for early wire lug case watches and gave him a shot. Surprising was the price with the amount of work he puts into them less than a 100 bucks. And less if you don't go with a custom real silver buckle that's a close copy of the ones they used at the turn of the century I went that way why go with a cheap one that don't look right on this strap. One thing this strap makes the watch look bigger on the wrist. This watch was issued to the 29th Div. that went to France in WW1 known as the Blue and Gray div.

The silver buckle even has silver hall marks like they did them back in the day.

The wire lugs you don't have a lot of choices for straps this strap seems to work great for these type of cases

How I was able to trace some of the history of the watch. This strap probably not for every body not many collect these type of watches here but thought I would post a different style of strap not seen here. Still keeps good time for a 97 year old watch and American made.