Aegir/Thomas Prescher

Discussion of Ægir watches.

Moderator: t20569cald

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

Aegir/Thomas Prescher

Post by t20569cald » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:31 am

To clarify some things for those just tunning in.

Thomas Prescher is building this prototype for Aegir watches. It will be using the Mhvj cal 2005, the same movement that will be in the LE model.

The involvement of Thomas Prescher in the LE, is restricted to assembling, regulating and doing the QC.

This below, is something i had written weeks ago for when someone spotted that it was his workshop. No one did, so i slipped in a case back pic. Only one has noticed on WUS so far!
This will answer your question to Adam.

The CD-2 LE was something that had been thought about some time ago, but had no real direction until, during the mid-summer 2010; I attended the open work shop held by Thomas Prescher.
It was during this visit I showed a video of one of my Dutch colleagues, at 40M depth with a Dutch flag and an Orange Vuvuzela, which we had made several hours before the kick-off for the World Cup Final as Thomas Preschers’ colleague Mark Postmus is Dutch.
I had then told of Aegir watches and the planned models, explaining the diving aspect.

It may have been a joke or just a passing comment, but Thomas Prescher said “I could make the prototype”.
A few hours later, sitting in my hotel room I couldn’t shake the comment from my head and knew it was the way forward. It’s all about the watch to me after all, and to have such an opportunity was a very big moment in my brands direction.
From that moment on, I never let it go, many, many emails and a few calls later, he either gave in, or liked the idea, I never asked which.
It was a fortunate meeting for me, as in the end Thomas Prescher agreed to assemble, and regulate, a limited amount of these watches.
So I looked around, found a suitable movement for the prototype. The Mhvj cal 2005.
It was decided to use these movements for the entire planned LE model as well. Fortunately Mhvj dealt with me direct and these movements are currently in production.

In my search for the right strap for the standard watch, I came across leather straps from a ship wreck. The wreck was called the Metta Catharina; a 100 ton brigantine went down in a storm in the waters of Plymouth Sound. It was December 1786 and she had been bound for Genoa from St Petersburg. One of the goods it carried was Russian Deer leather. It had been preserved in a mixture of silt and whatever it had been tanned with for all those years.
Russian leather was widely regarded as the finest in all Europe in the 18th century.
This seemed a fitting strap for such a watch and so Robert L Ross was commissioned to make them after having seen some of his other work. His sample was a beautifully crafted example.
The straps are handmade in the United Kingdom and supply of this leather is now down to tiny stocks, and these will be among the last straps ever to be made.

The LE model sold out quickly some time ago for the first 15 to be made.
The association with Thomas Prescher was not known to the buyers either, so this will be a huge bonus for them. I am very proud that Thomas Prescher was willing to be associated with Aegir Watches on this, and I am also very fortunate as he is true master of his craft and a gentleman too.
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

Dedalus
Professor J
Name: Jared

Re: Aegir/Thomas Prescher

Post by Dedalus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:39 am

I can see why the guys on the LE list are so excited about this one Todd. As each detail comes to light this project just keeps getting more and more :fro: Attention to detail on the CD-2 and CD-1 seems to be off the charts... definitely raises the bar for other small operators out there.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:39 am

Wow!, That LE model is going to be one special watch....

Thanks for all of the behind the scenes info.....It's been
great to follow...

:cheers:
Mike
Last edited by jimyritz on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chauncy7
Name: Jim

Post by Chauncy7 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:51 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:28 am

Very cool!
-David

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:12 am

Damn, talk about being in the right place at the right time. Jeeze. Not only does he agree to make the prototype, but then he agrees to actually assemble, regulate and QC all the LEs... Do you have one of his children hostage? :scratch:

Like I've said before, for those lucky few who wind up with an LE, having Thomas Prescher involved in its construction is like having Picasso painting your living room. :fro:

'nuff said, methinks. :shrug:

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:25 am

Todd,

This is just the icing on the cake. Wow.

And an incredible story.

Now the waiting...

I am sure everyone who is in on the LE and others following can say that they are proud to be part of this process with you.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:33 am

tmw wrote:Todd,

This is just the icing on the cake. Wow.

And an incredible story.

Now the waiting...

I am sure everyone who is in on the LE and others following can say that they are proud to be part of this process with you.
Agreed :clap:
Pasquale

NSC

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Want to see Thomas Prescher design and construct a custom watch?
Clink on the link to the slideshow.
Amazing!

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2011/3/14/ ... as-cl.html
"We'd better synchronize our watches."