Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

NoCompromise
Name: Kevin

Re: CD-2 Prototype

Post by NoCompromise » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:14 am

:drool: Looks great Todd!
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

Post by t20569cald » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:28 pm

BSears wrote::love: :headbang: I should kick my own ass for getting off the list. :banghead: but if things take a turn for the better.... :fro:

Todd, that is looking fantastic. :clap: I know we're seeing the prototype - can you tell us what might differ for the final product, if anything?

A couple of things, the box with CD-2 will be smaller.
Its currently 6mm long, 4mm high with the text at 1.5mm.
It will have text at 1.25mm and become 6mm long and 3.5mm high or so.

The other thing, is the triangle at 12, will have a 1.6mm lume pip, rather than this resin mixed with lume.
Over the coming 12 months, i plan a few bezels. Not to sell, but to see what works, what does not, etc, and working on the 28 sapphire piece bezel too.
The 15 to buy the LE, will get that one, at below cost if wanted, IF it can be made.
They will also have the chance to buy any other of the bezels at cost, but only the 15 from the list, or if they sold it on, the new owner.

This is NOT because there is anything wrong with this bezel, but rather that its an evolution, and the original buyers will not be left out
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:40 pm

You see, that's how a mensch does business! :cheers:
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:02 am

So with the Basel fair, pictures were put off, in favor of getting things done.
Many were missed, for the final machining, and more importantly the finishing of the case.
What were done were some for the casing before finishing, and a few at the end.
Sorry to those who were following this thread hoping to see the finishing. I will attempt to bring such a thread again, in the next model prototype. The CD-1.

Some bezel click parts ready to go in.
The bezel on the heat

First casing.
Crystal in
Helium valve ready to be fitted.

coming together, all parts working, and fit!

Thomas Prescher wearing the CD-2

I picked up the watch at Basel. It is not 100% finished, as the crown was made for Basel, and no tube is in.
It has been on my wrist daily over the last couple of weeks, and i have really bonded with it, even though i am more a CD-1 type of guy. This watch will shortly be sent back to Thomas Prescher, for fitments of crown and tube, then it will be used in anger, on a 28 day saturation dive.

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:15 am

My past judgement was wrong. I REALLY like this watch. I wish I could afford one...

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:51 am

I like everything about this watch except the typography. To be honest, the typography for the branding and labeling seems to the weakest point of this piece which is a shame because all the other parts of this watch seem to be so extremely well thought out and made. Did you hire a graphic designer to handle laying out the type?

Look at Panerai or even Omega to see how handle the typographical relationship even on print busy dials. It's that last mile which makes those watches classics vs micros.

I don't mean to sound harsh and I hope it's taken as constructive rather than just simply criticism.

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:10 am

FlyPenFly wrote:I like everything about this watch except the typography. To be honest, the typography for the branding and labeling seems to the weakest point of this piece which is a shame because all the other parts of this watch seem to be so extremely well thought out and made. Did you hire a graphic designer to handle laying out the type?

Look at Panerai or even Omega to see how handle the typographical relationship even on print busy dials. It's that last mile which makes those watches classics vs micros.

I don't mean to sound harsh and I hope it's taken as constructive rather than just simply criticism.
The font is different on the CD-2 and 701M for the general release, but Ægir remains the same.
But i dont really get your point.
As i type, i have a Panerai in front of me, as well as the CD-2.
Dont see how the Panerai font is special?
In fact, its that watch that was lacking, that prompted me to design this one in the first place!

No graphic designer involved, just me and the designer/engineer who made my ideas into the what it is.
I am happy with it, and your post is not seen as criticism for the sake of it, but rather what font would you have suggested?
Whats wrong with it?

FlyPenFly

Post by FlyPenFly » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:21 am

Hi there, to give you background, I'm just coming from a former graduate graphic designer TA perspective.

There are some things like tracking, kerning, margins, alignment, and just general breathing room that is lacking on this initial design. I don't know what your production schedule is like so it might be too late for this round.

In general, I think you should hire a graphic designer with a strong type background to go over the type setting. It seems like it's no big deal but it's what separates IMO the big boys from the upstarts. But I do realize I have a bias because I'm coming from a design background perspective. If you want, PM me and I can put you in touch with some friends who still do freelance.

I think you might benefit from going through a branding exercise to choose the typeface. Choosing the typeface might be one of the last steps though, not the first.

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:29 am

Perhaps my eye isn't quite as critical, but frankly speaking, one of the things I really like about this watch is the dial and the writing on it. Doubtless my father is spinning in his grave (urn, really) as I write this, given that he was an award-winning graphic designer, among other things, but overall this watch is really pushing all the right buttons for me.

Maybe I'll run it past the missus and see what she says (she's a graphic designer also).

Regards,
Adam

PS - On second thought, no, I am not running this past the missus. The last thing I want her to ask me is "how much".
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

FlyPenFly

Post by FlyPenFly » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:35 am

Adam, is your father really Paul Rand???

That might explain why you're such a baller.

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:37 am

FlyPenFly wrote:Hi there, to give you background, I'm just coming from a former graduate graphic designer TA perspective.

There are some things like tracking, kerning, margins, alignment, and just general breathing room that is lacking on this initial design. I don't know what your production schedule is like so it might be too late for this round.

In general, I think you should hire a graphic designer with a strong type background to go over the type setting. It seems like it's no big deal but it's what separates IMO the big boys from the upstarts. But I do realize I have a bias because I'm coming from a design background perspective. If you want, PM me and I can put you in touch with some friends who still do freelance.

I think you might benefit from going through a branding exercise to choose the typeface. Choosing the typeface might be one of the last steps though, not the first.
If you read through this thread, you will find i scraped 100 German made dials, due to an alignment issue. A small one at that.
The rest, i am not sure what you mean, as i am not a designer
The font on CD-2 and 701M is changed, a little more tough on the new dials.
The type setting to me looks ok, and i dont believe it is what separates the big boys from the upstarts.
They have marketing money, thats about it.
Panerai dont even do an appliqué dial for under 5k.!
Thats just being cheap, i am not pulling punches here. It was that very point, and one or so more, that prompted me to design the CD-1.
They might have a slightly cooler font, but other than that,,,,,,,,,

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:41 am

FlyPenFly wrote:Adam, is your father really Paul Rand???

That might explain why you're such a baller.
Ha! Not quite, though they did both pass away in 1996. My father's contributions to the world of graphic design were a wee bit more modest than Rand's (that man was a giant in the industry).

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

CD-2 Prototype

Post by ElChingon7 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:41 am

Looking good!
WTF

FlyPenFly

Post by FlyPenFly » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:44 am

Well without getting too deep into it, have you thought about the significance of the relationship between the logo and your specific product labeling? Why you're using specific colors and spacing? Look at Audemars Piguet or Vacheron, or even Montblanc. They're throwing quite a lot of money into type beyond just simply "design".

IMO, there is no such thing as a "cool" font, there are just fonts and fonts that fit your design language, your brand value goals, and your long term product plan. If you're using a precanned font and not creating your own for your brand, that might be part of the problem although not a deal breaker.

But really, I've been out of this space for a long time but just on my initial view, to me, again... I hate to sound like a debbie downer but it doesn't seem quite as well thought out as the rest of the watch. I think you should hire a graphic designer.

To me, type is a beautiful world where I just know the very simple basics but once you have a even a small glimpse of that world, it's hard to not be critical of any design endeavor that doesn't fully realize it.

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:52 am

FlyPenFly wrote:Well without getting too deep into it, have you thought about the significance of the relationship between the logo and your specific product labeling? Why you're using specific colors and spacing? Look at Audemars Piguet or Vacheron, or even Montblanc. They're throwing quite a lot of money into type beyond just simply "design".

IMO, there is no such thing as a "cool" font, there are just fonts and fonts that fit your design language, your brand value goals, and your long term product plan. If you're using a precanned font and not creating your own for your brand, that might be part of the problem although not a deal breaker.

But really, I've been out of this space for a long time but just on my initial view, to me, again... I hate to sound like a debbie downer but it doesn't seem quite as well thought out as the rest of the watch. I think you should hire a graphic designer.

To me, type is a beautiful world where I just know the very simple basics but once you have a even a small glimpse of that world, it's hard to not be critical of any design endeavor that doesn't fully realize it.
I see what your saying, and dont entirely disagree.
It was thought out as far as spending several days going through existing fonts goes.
I have hired many people, onto my 4th website developer in fact. Not everyone does what they are supposed to do, and ones mans money only goes so far.
Its done, no more hiring for this model.
The font is different on the series, more tough, and overall i like it.
It may evolve, it may stay the same, and when we have AP money to throw at fonts, maybe it will be different.
It looks ok, and my focus is build quality and details, like appliqué dials, Metta Catharina straps, and Thomas Prescher.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:56 am

I think Jae is right, I do like how the Ægir is done but the CD-2 and 701M are the only ones that IMO could use a little change. I don't know how they should be changed, so my opinion might not be worth much.

Either way I like all the thought you have put into the watch and the execution is amazing! Ever step of the way you keep coming up with more great ideas like the sapphire bezels.

Thanks for showing us the process involved with building a watch!!!

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:59 am

toxicavenger wrote:I think Jae is right, I do like how the Ægir is done but the CD-2 and 701M are the only ones that IMO could use a little change. I don't know how they should be changed, so my opinion might not be worth much.

Either way I like all the thought you have put into the watch and the execution is amazing! Ever step of the way you keep coming up with more great ideas like the sapphire bezels.

It just so happens that they are changed, but its pdf, and i cant seem to post it up here as Photobucket wont take it.
It is better though and will be more liked than the current.

Chauncy7
Name: Jim

Post by Chauncy7 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:04 am

I like it. I think just above the 701m it should say HTFU. This thing is H-O-T :thatshot:

:thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:01 pm

t20569cald wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:I think Jae is right, I do like how the Ægir is done but the CD-2 and 701M are the only ones that IMO could use a little change. I don't know how they should be changed, so my opinion might not be worth much.

It just so happens that they are changed, but its pdf, and i cant seem to post it up here as Photobucket wont take it.
It is better though and will be more liked than the current.
Good to hear Todd and keep up the amazing work. I hope your new location you moved to is a better setup.

@Glen, :cheers:

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 pm

I don't know much about typefaces and fonts. I just know what I like, and what appeals to me on a visceral level, and I really, really, really like this piece.

Techart

Post by Techart » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:20 pm

Nice exciting phototrial. Cant be much further away now. Good luck again todd.! :cheers:

Gav

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:49 pm

I want the CD-2....you have done an amazing job on this!
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

kempoman

Post by kempoman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Todd, I like the dial actually. Thanks for updating us.
Watch collector since 1989

abuemily
Name: Michael

Post by abuemily » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:47 am

I've been following this since the conceptual phase and I really dig the dial and layout. I'm not crazy at all about the bezel, but that's the reason I'm holding out for the CD-1. I think it's because I'm not a fan of the monocolor case/bezel combination, I always prefer contrast. Nonetheless, those who are getting this watch are getting something truly unique. Hope Todd sells everything so he can make the CD-1 soon.