Aegir CD 2 - the way i see it

Discussion of Ægir watches.

Moderator: t20569cald

kempoman

Aegir CD 2 - the way i see it

Post by kempoman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:51 am

I owe Todd a review for months. Few things i want to give some wear time for writing an experience review and not a comparison with my other diver watches.

First, when i think of AEGIR i am thinking of Todd Caldwell (hopefully someday we could catch up in Perth). Aegir is a watch that the founder behind it has owns real life commercial diving experiences, most probably is the only commercial diver with a watch company experience. In other words if i may to say,

"Aegir owner is not a watch founder with some diving experiences but a commercial diver with a watch company experience. That is AEGIR Instrument Co. and Todd is Aegir!"

When i first have the watch as a diver myself, i felt connected to Todd even i have not logged in that many dives. The weight is good with the isofrane and guess what? I thought is going to be large on a 6.5 inches wrist but it turns up she suits PERFECTLY on my wrist! That is the most rewarding feelings. I could use it as a daily wearer EDC if i wish.

Crown winds smoothly and the rise indexes with the easy to read hands i could glance the time from an angle. I like how he designed the non lume hands with the red tip. It makes the watch elegant yet toolish.

Bezel has the teethy edge and it gives feelings for a Fricker industrial case, I like it.

My only reservation is the click of the bezel that has some play and not too solid. Perhaps it has to do with the click springs inside it. (Todd might want to chip in for this).

Aegir 002.jpg
Aegir 001.jpg
Aegir 004.jpg
Aegir 003.jpg
With not more than 100 units of them produced i might as well keep it. Would i buy CD 1? YES, if i do not own CD 2 for they are similar to my eyes.

Todd is a straightforward guy and easy to deal. He didn't ask how many wives i have to ship to Asia, he just shipped.

I wish him all the success for his coming CD 1.

Thanks for reading and i would write more when i bring to diving in the coming weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watch collector since 1989

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

Re: Aegir CD 2 - the way i see it

Post by t20569cald » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:33 am

kempoman wrote:

My only reservation is the click of the bezel that has some play and not too solid. Perhaps it has to do with the click springs inside it. (Todd might want to chip in for this).

Yes it is the spring, but this is adjustable, so you can easy pop it off and firm it up. I usually ship them like yours, with a little play if it might be used, so sand and grit will not be a factor. Also, if it is used often, and it is set hard, I can see metal fatigue being an issue with the click spring.
I agree however, that this is an area for improvement, and a much heavier spring will be used in the need dive bezel model. Also, I am working from time to time on a complete new system, that will (in theory) have no play at all and will not use this spring.
Thanks for the review
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com