CD-1 started

Discussion of Ægir watches.

Moderator: t20569cald

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

CD-1 started

Post by t20569cald » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:39 am

I sent out an email to the CD-2 LE list, so many of you here in this sub forum will already know.

Pre-order info at the bottom.

Basically the renders did not come out as I asked, and were really wanting, but not bad, so I will show them here. A quick bit on them, to answer some questions now.
One is that only the case is actually final in the render.
But everything else will be pretty much as is, except don't focus on the exact colours, as this will be sorted out.
The reason for this, is the case is in production, and I did not want to delay anything by waiting for drawing of dials and hands, that are known anyway, once I made my mind up to go forward. This watch has been a long time coming, so its now or not going to happen.
Currently Cador are changing some dial points right now, and it will basically remain the same, but the font of Ægir will be different, same as the current CD-2 dial. As the dial increases by 10% over the current model, then the appliqués, markers, hands, will also increase by 10%. Tooling is being drawn up now, and appliqués will be ordered this week. Hands the same. I was going to offer a heat blued option, but while the hands are easy enough, it fell down at the appliqués, so for now I am not going to complicate this watch further, and keep the same as we have now, rhodium plate. The heat blued added cost, time, and trouble.

There will however be a White dial option, and Glavanic grey (vertically stripped, not sun burst) options, as well as Black. To find how this will work, some of the unassembled CD-2 LE cases, will be used in a few weeks, with White and Grey CD-2 dials. These were ordered some time back and are expected to arrive this month.

So everything will be the same as the dial goes, except one point I listened to, more lume, so the new appliqués will have a larger lume area on top.
The second hand will also be lumed with a dot. We used Photoshop to take the old dial to show roughly the new dimensions of the hands and markers etc, and it is basically final as you see it.
He valve is gone on this model, and the first 24 watches made, will be all crystal back.
Soprod A10 will be powering the watch, as the current CD-2 is.

The case has slimmed down to 13.1mm, and there is more room between case and strap pins, making the watch 51.13 in length. The CD-2 was almost 15mm thick, so should make it a little easier to slide under a business suit.

The bezels will be Kolsterised, making a surface hardness to a level of 1000 to 1200 HV0.05. Sinn call it Tegmenting, same thing.

Now, I am not a fan of Pre-order, but I had 80% drop out of the CD-2 list come time to ship, and unfortunately, only 10% or so of them, actually bothered to tell me.
So I am doing this, the deposit to have a CD-1 will be $250, and no, I do not need to use the money to build it, so no problems there. There will be 24 watches only, from this production, and the next ones after those will not be done for likely 12 months or more from now.
The price for the pre-order, $1600AUD which will be inclusive of Fedex shipping.
After that, they are going to $1750 AUD plus $150 shipping, as that is basically what it costs Aegir to send them, $160 in fact. Balance will be asked when watches are being assembled, and a few weeks notice will be given to the pre-order list, as not to surprise anyone. Expected delivery at this point, December 2014.
Fricker have said 14 weeks, as the dials, but watch companies (component ones) all go on 3 weeks holiday in Switzerland and Germany in the summer, as just close the doors!

As for the strap option, well Aegir Watches have bought 2 CNC machines, though they are light duty for prototyping sort of work.
I do plan to make buckles however, and designing a few now. It will not be easy to be in time, as my machining experience is minimal, and manual. I have a guy, but he is full time as a machinist already, and has little time for me. He does however work in the CAM software I have, and I need him.
So to be arranged, but at a minimum, they will ship on Isofrane rubber, and I will offer that option anyway regardless.

That is about it, so I include here a tech drawing, and the new renders.
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

kempoman

Re: CD-1 started

Post by kempoman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:21 am

Todd, all the best wishes to your CD 1.
Watch collector since 1989

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:28 am

Love the grey dial.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:49 am

Thanks for the update-- Those look nice :thumbsup:

GL..

Mike

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:06 am

Put me down for #1 Grey.

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:29 am

andrema wrote:Put me down for #1 Grey.
Not sure I can give you number 1, as numbers will be put together on whatever dial is asked for, but if the person at 1 (for years!) is not keen, then its yours.
Otherwise it would be 3 the next lowest

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:30 am

Wow the grey and white are lookin fantastic :clap:
I don't know which I prefer in fact! :) I kinda wish the blued hands were available as it'd make the white a no-brainer but I understand the added complexity and cost.
I like this clean look more than the CD-2. Big fan.
I want one :thumbsup:
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

andrema

Post by andrema » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:32 am

Kidding, Todd...If it works out that I can haveit, that is fine. Grey is my first pick, but white is close behind. Once you get the samples I can make the final determination...either way, I am in!

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:13 pm

I really like that grey dial.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

andrema

Post by andrema » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:16 pm

Any chance of getting matching grey date wheels with white/silver numbers?

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:23 pm

Looking good overall. The font for the AEgir is kinda off to me. Is there too much spacing between E, g, i, r?
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:27 pm

Axelay2003 wrote:Looking good overall. The font for the AEgir is kinda off to me. Is there too much spacing between E, g, i, r?
Yeah, we had to photoshop it in, as it was not a layer on the CAD drawing.
The font will be the same as the current one

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:56 pm

t20569cald wrote:
Axelay2003 wrote:Looking good overall. The font for the AEgir is kinda off to me. Is there too much spacing between E, g, i, r?
Yeah, we had to photoshop it in, as it was not a layer on the CAD drawing.
The font will be the same as the current one
:thumbsup:
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

andrema

Post by andrema » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Yeah, I can't wait for the grey one!

425ranger
OMGWTFBBQ
Name: Bill

Post by 425ranger » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:14 am

Quick question, if this is a dive bell kind of watch (as stated), it would be great to have a AM/PM indicator of some type. I dunno, maybe turn the Day wheel into a red/blue display and click every 12 hours... or add it to the Date wheel?

Just saying, trapped in any place (caves / sub's / bells etc) it would be useful and yours would be unique (without it being a GMT hand).
Retired
Key West, FL
Have a sparkling day.

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:19 pm

425ranger wrote:Quick question, if this is a dive bell kind of watch (as stated), it would be great to have a AM/PM indicator of some type. I dunno, maybe turn the Day wheel into a red/blue display and click every 12 hours... or add it to the Date wheel?

Just saying, trapped in any place (caves / sub's / bells etc) it would be useful and yours would be unique (without it being a GMT hand).

This is true.
I have options for that, in a later CD-1. I will certainly keep that in mind, and I like your suggestion

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Beautiful watch Todd!

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:37 am

White dial is hot.