The Mhvj cal 2005 movement saga

Discussion of Ægir watches.

Moderator: t20569cald

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

The Mhvj cal 2005 movement saga

Post by t20569cald » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:33 pm

For those of you that followed this watch over three long years, will of course have some idea of what happened. But as this story not only killed of the CD-2 LE model, but seriously postponed the CD-1, thought I would share it. Reason for three parts, is there is a lot to this story, and would not want to bore you with 100,000 words and 40 pictures in one go, because even I would not read that. This story is a little bizarre, in that a company would conduct themselves in such a way, and in fact, so strange, that you could not make it up.

In late 2009 Aegir Watches started, with work on two models, the CD-2, and the CD-1. I felt out the interest on a few forums at the time, and the CD-1 with the fixed bezel was not as well received as the CD-2 model with timing bezel. In hindsight, it was a mistake to start with only the one model, and I should have produced both from the get go.
To make the most of the CD-2 model, I thought of doing some in Titanium, but it just so happened during that unusually warm European summer, I was was visiting Thomas Preschers workshop in Switzerland for a couple of days, and he made a passing comment about doing the prototype after I had mentioned to him what I was working on.
I slept on it, and brought this subject up again the following day. I figured if he did the prototype, then we could arrange another deal, where I could also get a head start, working with him on a LE model, that basically gave Aegir Watches a link to the good name he has made for himself as one of ''The'' Independent watch makers, and made good sense.
So with the idea born, I needed a way to differentiate the two watches, further than just Thomas Preschers involvement.

I came up with the Metta Catharina strap, hand made in the UK, but needed more, a lot more. Searching for a movement, while the prototype was being made by Thomas Prescher, I came across Mhvj.
The movement looked perfect for my needs. It was called the ''cal 2005'', The cost, six times that of the other movements I was using, the Soprod A10.
Turned out also, that Mhvj was owned by the Festina group, which also owns Soprod. Being the Soprod A10 is such a nice movement, and had been great to deal with, what trouble could I have?
I contacted Mhvj, and they gladly accepted my order, small though it was. Turns out, I was the very first customer of the cal 2005.
What luck! , as no other high end movement maker, was willing to take the small order.

By this time it was the later half of 2010, and I placed my order with them for 16 movements.
The lead time was 6 to 7 months, and I would be expecting 9 months. They wanted to deliver in stages, starting with a couple in late January 2011, then the rest later in February 2011.
The order was for the ''Strutec'' escapement, with the Strutec decorations on the rotor and bridges in gold plate, and the base and bridges in the Black finish.
(see picture below, taken at Basel 2011)

I felt out for the interest in this model, at $3800 AUD, and to my surprise, there was more than 16, much more. So I asked them if it was a problem to up the order to 26 movements, as one was always destined for the prototype.
I did ask for one movement as early as we could, as the prototype was to be ready fro Basel 2011, which from memory was in March of that year. I was moving back to Australia from almost 15 years living in Europe at the time, and we decided as a family, to go back via Basel Watch Fair, as I could pick up the prototype at the same time.
I had some setbacks in 2008 when I was almost killed in an offshore diving accident, which effectively ended my career and delayed Aegir Watches as well, but now I was feeling good, things were on track, Thomas Prescher was involved, movements sourced, no issue in sight!
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

deskdiver
Name: Kevin

Re: The Mhvj cal 2005 movement saga

Post by deskdiver » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:12 am

Such a bummer, and what a pain in the a$$ for you. That mhvj is a sweet looking movement.

I salute you and your resolve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:45 am

This should be interesting.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

mechnut
Name: Roger

Post by mechnut » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:33 am

:popcorn:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:28 am

You are one patient man....

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

Post by t20569cald » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:21 am

jimyritz wrote:You are one patient man....

Well on part 1 of the story, it was all good.Watch making takes a surreal turn in part 2.
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:51 am

It's too bad, that movement would have been amazing!

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:42 am

I'm sure I don't know all the details, but having kept up with Todd and the progress of the LE, and being privy to this saga as it unfolded, it is a massively convoluted tale. I'll not give any spoilers as Todd unfolds the narrative, but suffice it to say that Todd is way more patient than I ever would have been. Waaaay more patient, especially with what he went thru.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.