Interesting thing

Discussion of Ægir watches.

Moderator: t20569cald

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

Interesting thing

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:20 am

I stopped with being a sponsor on WUS.
I will first say that as a new brand, it reaches many people, and while a tad pricey, it is necessary to reach an audience with the sheer number of members they have.
So getting past that point, I stopped with being a sponsor, until the watches return some investment to pay for such marketing activities.

What I find odd, is after stopping, my website stats have dropped exactly 2/3rds every single day since, give or 5 to 10 visits.
And yes, they did come from WUS.
Yet not one comment on the dive watch forum, since my banner has disappeared.
Not one person, old or new, comments on the banner gone, the sticky threads, the posts, nothing at all.

Have I really gone so unnoticed? OK, I know I have not re-invented the wheel, but not one person noticed?
Maybe this thread could be a marketing survey, ( I really am bewildered ) without the WUS bashing, Why is it so?
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Re: Interesting thing

Post by FlyPenFly » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:24 am

My guess is that you might be marketing to the wrong market.

It seems you're a higher end brand, perhaps higher than even Bremont and most of the people like 98% of the people on WUS can't afford you anyway. And if they can, they're the kind of collectors wouldn't buy independent higher end brands. Mostly I guess I'm saying is that it seems the frequent posters there are tasteless sycophants or noobies trying to find the right Seiko Monster and fretting like babies over it.

Anyways, when the NYC crew gets their pieces, I'll definitely take some pics and post a long story about it on my blog which will send you some minimal traffic. :)

sharkfin
Name: Dave

Post by sharkfin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:42 am

IMO its a numbers thing.
As bad as WUS is, they've got the high traffic.
So there will be some spillage of members clicking on the sponsors.
Also, there are so many ads that I'd constantly, mistakenly, click on them ads. So, you're numbers might be askew to the actual real target audience. IMO.

But Jae is right about hi percentage of members there are not in your demographic.

Getting some prototypes out to them high traffic bloggers may generate some buzz and traffic to your brand.

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:45 am

Two excellent points. Have your sales dropped by 2/3rds?
Chris

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:45 am

sharkfin wrote:IMO its a numbers thing.
Also, there are so many ads that I'd constantly, mistakenly, click on them ads. So, you're numbers might be askew to the actual real target audience. IMO.

But Jae is right about hi percentage of members there are not in your demographic.

Getting some prototypes out to them high traffic bloggers may generate some buzz and traffic to your brand.

Yes you may be both right,,,,,,,,, but about getting the prototypes out, you do realize what kind of price Thomas Prescher charges right?
That watch is not leaving my sight!

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:49 am

That is true but keep in mind that MB&F really started making waves because of blog coverage, then watch time coverage... not because they advertised on WUS.

IMO, unless you're making Chinese boutique watches, its not a good return to advertise on WUS. I mean, what % of WUS members do you think even know what MB&F is?

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:51 am

vbuskirk wrote:Two excellent points. Have your sales dropped by 2/3rds?

That is the other side, Most sales are to divers I know, at least with the LE, the rest bar one or two are here!
Similar thing with the standard model, though to be fair I never marketed it and not many are reserved.
This forum is by far the most numbers in terms of watches reserved, then divers, but if i disappeared from here, there would be at least ONE person that would notice, this is my point, not one even noticed! And it was a month ago

sharkfin
Name: Dave

Post by sharkfin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:52 am

t20569cald wrote:

Yes you may be both right,,,,,,,,, but about getting the prototypes out, you do realize what kind of price Thomas Prescher charges right?
yes, may I suggest a trip to NYC to do a press junket?
invite the the usual suspects in the industry over to Red Bar and have an open forum with DWC'ers giving the low down.
Ablogtoread's Ben guy live in NYC i believe.
this event could go viral on youtube as DWC/Red bar host. just saying. :stir:

edit: I meant to say Hodinkee blog/Ben
Last edited by sharkfin on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:54 am

This is not your first thread fretting over not being noticed at WUS. I would take it as a compliment, if I were you. :thumbsup:
Chris

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:54 am

FlyPenFly wrote:That is true but keep in mind that MB&F really started making waves because of blog coverage, then watch time coverage... not because they advertised on WUS.

IMO, unless you're making Chinese boutique watches, its not a good return to advertise on WUS. I mean, what % of WUS members do you think even know what MB&F is?

Yeah, your starting to make sense to me.
Marketing costs are high, and tricky. This site is no frills, what you see is what you get. My wife said I should offer Derek a discount when he put this forum up, so I offered, he flat out refused!
What was she thinking!

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:57 am

sharkfin wrote:
t20569cald wrote:

invite the the usual suspects in the industry over to Red Bar and have an open forum with DWC'ers giving the low down.
When I can, I plan to attend one, but just to be the beer drinking champion

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:01 am

vbuskirk wrote:This is not your first thread fretting over not being noticed at WUS. I would take it as a compliment, if I were you. :thumbsup:
Really?
OK, maybe, I do not remember,,,,,,wait, your right.
I was surprised about something once, Not knowing Thomas Prescher I think.
Maybe, but it is all valuable data for me, as a business I need to know the reasons why.
It is not a whinge, but a journey, and one of learning what works and what does not if I am to continue.
It is not fretting, not sure I ever fretted, but one of surprise, that no one notice, ( not the watch) but the banner coming down etc/

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:10 am

Just me thinking out loud here, but like others have said I don't think 99% of WUS is your market, but also, you've been working on this project for so long that some folks maybe have given up keeping track unless they have something invested. A lot of people that call themselves WIS just wanna see a finished product they can drop some cash on. Me, I just wish I could afford one right now.

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:20 am

t20569cald wrote:My wife said I should offer Derek a discount when he put this forum up, so I offered, he flat out refused!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Chris

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Well, I noticed, not that I matter or anything. :raised:

Anyway, once your CD-2 LEs hit Red Bar, Jae takes his pics, and us "tastemakers" ( :rolleyes: ) start posting up our opinions all over the place, I guarantee you'll see some increased activity on your site.

Also, I've been meaning to do a write up on TZ, which I promise to get around to posting this week. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Adam

PS - With respect to Hodinkee, I'm fairly certain that there are elements here that can prevail upon them to do a proper review, as well as TLex on OceanicTime (I volunteer to send my CD-2 on the requisite rounds).
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:10 pm

I ignore all ads on WUS and wouldn't comment on one disappearing, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to. Making a post about the banner ads would just be weird :shrug:.

I think the guys here are right in that the WUS DWF is not your target market. Get attention on Hodinkee, PuristPro, Paneristi, or wherever else the rich people hang out.
-David

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:23 pm

But you need to get the product boxed up and ready to ship too...
Chris

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:28 pm

I also suspect such a post would be deleted. Would you like me to try Todd?
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:08 pm

The more I get to know you, Todd, the more I want one of your watches.

It'll be the CD-1, though, for me. Let me know when that gets off the ground. :cheers:
:htfu:

abuemily
Name: Michael

Post by abuemily » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:27 pm

It's funny, I hadn't noticed it had disappeared. I avidly follow all the threads that pop up, both here and on WUS because I am so interested in it. Mostly, however, because, like Matt, I'm waiting for the CD1. I rarely click on the banner ads, and frankly, don't pay a lot of attention to them.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:34 pm

sharkfin wrote:.

edit: I meant to say Hodinkee blog/Ben
I don't think we will be inviting any bloggers or press of any kind to Red Bar. Maybe we can have it in a TGIF or something.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:32 pm

lilhoody wrote:I also suspect such a post would be deleted. Would you like me to try Todd?
No,, thanks anyway, just thinking out loud here.
I am having to agree with everyone here, and been looking at Hoodinkee and of course Oceanictime, as ways to do just that.
Nothing is ever free however.

If these were Chinese watches I would hand them out like beers, but they are not, and I cant.

You guys a more than likely right, I was throwing this out there, as it is all data I need to know.
Most of my traffic still comes from Oceanictime actually, from the link and always has.

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:34 pm

craniotes wrote:Well, I noticed, not that I matter or anything. :raised:

Anyway, once your CD-2 LEs hit Red Bar, Jae takes his pics, and us "tastemakers" ( :rolleyes: ) start posting up our opinions all over the place, I guarantee you'll see some increased activity on your site.

Also, I've been meaning to do a write up on TZ, which I promise to get around to posting this week. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Adam

PS - With respect to Hodinkee, I'm fairly certain that there are elements here that can prevail upon them to do a proper review, as well as TLex on OceanicTime (I volunteer to send my CD-2 on the requisite rounds).
Thanks Adam, but you can not send number 1 of the LE about!
I have number 30 from the standard line already marked for that, and number 34 to wear, until my CD-1 arrives!

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Todd,

WUS is WUS. You get what you get from there. As you grow in the watch world, you realize that the more the collection, collecting and knowledge grows - you migrate to more "knowledgeable" and free speech zones.

WUS in the majority of forums is about the next chinese watch being produced with the same stock parts. Look at the majority of forums with activity. The 'upper' scale - as where I would position you, those forums get low to moderate traffic, if at all (maybe not rolex, omega, etc.). LW and bremont get few hits - and are more "cult like" in following.

I actually think that the TZers would recognize stronger the Thomas connection. Adam is all over that place...

When us ballers start to announce to the world, it is about word of mouth and building from quality and a great product.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Now I cant wait for my LE and my "standard" to come.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:18 pm

tmw wrote:Todd,

WUS is WUS. You get what you get from there. As you grow in the watch world, you realize that the more the collection, collecting and knowledge grows - you migrate to more "knowledgeable" and free speech zones.

WUS in the majority of forums is about the next chinese watch being produced with the same stock parts. Look at the majority of forums with activity. The 'upper' scale - as where I would position you, those forums get low to moderate traffic, if at all (maybe not rolex, omega, etc.). LW and bremont get few hits - and are more "cult like" in following.

I actually think that the TZers would recognize stronger the Thomas connection. Adam is all over that place...

When us ballers start to announce to the world, it is about word of mouth and building from quality and a great product.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Now I cant wait for my LE and my "standard" to come.
Half of that will soon be on the way!

Reason I started this thread is , to enable me to have a direction for future marketing. What works currently, why not, and so on.
The only way I can make the models I want to, is if people are buying the ones I am making already. Of course if they have never heard of you,,, etc , etc.
For me, marketing is my big headache, as while I want to keep the Aegir brand small and exclusive, I still want to grow to be able to do everything I need to do.
Retail is the key I believe, and I have been approached via Thomas Prescher for this. Can not do it now, as there is no margins in the watch for this, but it is my goal that I am aiming for. Small exclusive shops though.