How many?

Discussion of Ægir watches.

Moderator: t20569cald

Post Reply
Nm7273
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:23 am
Name: Nick
Location: The high desert of Colorado

How many?

Post by Nm7273 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:53 pm

I love my CD1 (gray) and have been talked out of it twice but managed to buy it back both times. It is now on my NFS list. I am just curious, does anyone know how many CD1s Todd produced?

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41562
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: How many?

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm

I think 50. It might have been less.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41562
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: How many?

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:05 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm
I think 50. It might have been less.
actually I think todd said 50 CD2's and maybe 25 CD1's. unfortunately as great as they are they just didn't get a huge following.

User avatar
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Posts: 4483
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 pm
Name: Don

Re: How many?

Post by tattoo chef » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:10 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm
I think 50. It might have been less.
actually I think todd said 50 CD2's and maybe 25 CD1's. unfortunately as great as they are they just didn't get a huge following.
Which is a huge shame and still makes me scratch my head. Orion sells his watches for $1500 and Oak and Oscar for even more but Aegir could barely move them. I guess you have to make friends with everyone and be on every Facebook group etc etc to sell the watch instead of just having an amazing product.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41562
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: How many?

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:26 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:10 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm
I think 50. It might have been less.
actually I think todd said 50 CD2's and maybe 25 CD1's. unfortunately as great as they are they just didn't get a huge following.
Which is a huge shame and still makes me scratch my head. Orion sells his watches for $1500 and Oak and Oscar for even more but Aegir could barely move them. I guess you have to make friends with everyone and be on every Facebook group etc etc to sell the watch instead of just having an amazing product.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do believe that was the case honestly. It is all about "marketing"

Nm7273
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:23 am
Name: Nick
Location: The high desert of Colorado

Re: How many?

Post by Nm7273 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:46 pm

I have to agree. The CD1 meets it’s design goals perfectly. I wear mine in the Gulf all the time but also to business meetings. It keeps great time and feels good on my wrist. I will say this though, while his following may not have been large, it was rabid. And the back story is great. I was heavily invested in Sinn when I first learned of Aegir (from this forum) and now own no Sinns but wouldn’t take for my Aegir.

Nm7273
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:23 am
Name: Nick
Location: The high desert of Colorado

Re: How many?

Post by Nm7273 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Off topic a bit and maybe not appropriate but Todd mentions that a serious diving accident laid him up for a period which allowed for the development of the watch but I have never seen details about the accident. Can anyone comment?

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 7150
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: How many?

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Nm7273 wrote:I have to agree. The CD1 meets it’s design goals perfectly. I wear mine in the Gulf all the time but also to business meetings. It keeps great time and feels good on my wrist. I will say this though, while his following may not have been large, it was rabid. And the back story is great. I was heavily invested in Sinn when I first learned of Aegir (from this forum) and now own no Sinns but wouldn’t take for my Aegir.
So Aegir is the Pantera of the watch world.

Maybe this is obscure, so I’ll explain that Pantera is a metal band with a hard core but not very large following.
The Hapa

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 5486
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: How many?

Post by Chocodove » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:10 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Nm7273 wrote:I have to agree. The CD1 meets it’s design goals perfectly. I wear mine in the Gulf all the time but also to business meetings. It keeps great time and feels good on my wrist. I will say this though, while his following may not have been large, it was rabid. And the back story is great. I was heavily invested in Sinn when I first learned of Aegir (from this forum) and now own no Sinns but wouldn’t take for my Aegir.
So Aegir is the Pantera of the watch world.

Maybe this is obscure, so I’ll explain that Pantera is a metal band with a hard core but not very large following.
I feel like Pantera was kinda huge in their day. Cemetery Gates, Walk, Five Minutes Alone, Shedding Skin...great fucking songs.
- Todd

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41562
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: How many?

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Nm7273 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:52 pm
Off topic a bit and maybe not appropriate but Todd mentions that a serious diving accident laid him up for a period which allowed for the development of the watch but I have never seen details about the accident. Can anyone comment?
I don't know exactly. I think he got hurt and couldn't dive again. Then I think he became the diving safety officer maybe? But worked on the watch during that time.

Being a microbrand wasn't as easy then either. There weren't a ton of good manufactures, and the ones that were reported good were a pain in the ass to deal with. So there was a ton of challenges i gather. But he built the watches he wanted to build.

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 7150
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: How many?

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Chocodove wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
Nm7273 wrote:I have to agree. The CD1 meets it’s design goals perfectly. I wear mine in the Gulf all the time but also to business meetings. It keeps great time and feels good on my wrist. I will say this though, while his following may not have been large, it was rabid. And the back story is great. I was heavily invested in Sinn when I first learned of Aegir (from this forum) and now own no Sinns but wouldn’t take for my Aegir.
So Aegir is the Pantera of the watch world.

Maybe this is obscure, so I’ll explain that Pantera is a metal band with a hard core but not very large following.
I feel like Pantera was kinda huge in their day. Cemetery Gates, Walk, Five Minutes Alone, Shedding Skin...great fucking songs.
Would have never thought they were huge but then again I’m perpetually stuck in the 80’s
The Hapa

User avatar
manitoujoe
Posts: 2969
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: How many?

Post by manitoujoe » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:56 pm

I absolutely love my CD-2. Nothing really comes close. I still discover new touches on the watch that wow me.

Almost swapped the grey brushed dial to the black one but had a change of heart. Glad I did. :)
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 5486
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: How many?

Post by Chocodove » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:31 am

Back in the day, the CD1/2 were relatively expensive for a micro. These days they wouldn't be when compared to the pricing of some of the other brands like Monta, Resco, Oak & Oscar, etc. Perhaps the market wasn't quite ready yet for Aegir at the time.
- Todd

User avatar
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Posts: 4483
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 pm
Name: Don

Re: How many?

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:02 am

Chocodove wrote:Back in the day, the CD1/2 were relatively expensive for a micro. These days they wouldn't be when compared to the pricing of some of the other brands like Monta, Resco, Oak & Oscar, etc. Perhaps the market wasn't quite ready yet for Aegir at the time.
I have no idea what Todd’s plans are, but while I know he was always against it, maybe he could take it to Asia and get a new CD-1 and the newer model he was working on (SD-2?) and bring them out for $1000 or slightly under.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
hobbit712
Posts: 3030
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:55 am
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: How many?

Post by hobbit712 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:30 am

A CD-1 is still on my short list.
http://watchidiotsavants.com
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30868
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: How many?

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:58 pm

I had a CD-2 for a few years. I loved it but sold it because I wore my Planet Ocean and U1P much more often. It’s an incredibly well made watch.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
r.palace
Posts: 6537
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Tray-O-Five

How many?

Post by r.palace » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Owned a CD2 and test drove a CD1. Extremely well made and the attention to detail was there. If the dimensions were slightly smaller, the CD2 would’ve been a keeper for me
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

User avatar
Axelay2003
Posts: 5192
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:03 am
Name: Gerard
Location: City of Oranges, FL

Re: How many?

Post by Axelay2003 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Todd’s design and execution of the CD-2 are on point. I have the white(blue text) and slate dials. Solid pieces. I wish he would come out with a CD-2 GMT.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.
ImageImage

User avatar
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Posts: 4483
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 pm
Name: Don

Re: How many?

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Axelay2003 wrote:Todd’s design and execution of the CD-2 are on point. I have the white(blue text) and slate dials. Solid pieces. I wish he would come out with a CD-2 GMT.
Ooh a gmt would be nice.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments
Posts: 2154
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Australia

Re: How many?

Post by t20569cald » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Nm7273 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:52 pm
Off topic a bit and maybe not appropriate but Todd mentions that a serious diving accident laid him up for a period which allowed for the development of the watch but I have never seen details about the accident. Can anyone comment?
The part about the Chief Engineer saving the day is not true.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... Report.pdf
Image
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!


http://www.aegirinstruments.com

User avatar
t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments
Posts: 2154
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Australia

Re: How many?

Post by t20569cald » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:36 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:13 pm
Nm7273 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:52 pm
Off topic a bit and maybe not appropriate but Todd mentions that a serious diving accident laid him up for a period which allowed for the development of the watch but I have never seen details about the accident. Can anyone comment?
I don't know exactly. I think he got hurt and couldn't dive again. Then I think he became the diving safety officer maybe? But worked on the watch during that time.

Being a microbrand wasn't as easy then either. There weren't a ton of good manufactures, and the ones that were reported good were a pain in the ass to deal with. So there was a ton of challenges i gather. But he built the watches he wanted to build.
Changed to Deck Foreman a year after the accident, then stupidly decided to do a job in Libya that was 200m deep as a diver, and the injuries that I did have, became very obvious and I had to deco out of that system, finishing my career then and there. Came back to Australia after that and tried the diving companies for work, but they would only hire me as a ''Diver'' so I decided to quit to the whole thing and go back to the mines where I started out of school. Now I am busy driving an excavator, and trying to become a CNC machinist in my off time, so Aegir can continue, as the funds are no longer there to do it the way I was doing it.
Image
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!


http://www.aegirinstruments.com

User avatar
t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments
Posts: 2154
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Australia

Re: How many?

Post by t20569cald » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:32 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:02 am
Chocodove wrote:Back in the day, the CD1/2 were relatively expensive for a micro. These days they wouldn't be when compared to the pricing of some of the other brands like Monta, Resco, Oak & Oscar, etc. Perhaps the market wasn't quite ready yet for Aegir at the time.
I have no idea what Todd’s plans are, but while I know he was always against it, maybe he could take it to Asia and get a new CD-1 and the newer model he was working on (SD-2?) and bring them out for $1000 or slightly under.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't bring myself to do it. I have been busy with life lately and things in the watch world have taken a back seat, but I did produce a CD-1 ,iddle case on my current CNC mill. It needs some tweaks to be fair, but it is 98% there.
Went out on strike with the rest of the workforce, costing me 3 months pay, and bought a new house which is a struggle to pay for, until my other house sells. I am not giving up just yet, but things are happening at a very very slow pace, as I simply do not have the money to throw at it anymore.
Image
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!


http://www.aegirinstruments.com

Nm7273
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:23 am
Name: Nick
Location: The high desert of Colorado

Re: How many?

Post by Nm7273 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:05 am

Thanks Todd, that is a fantastic story and the official report is great reading. What an “incident”. It’s like something out of a movie script. Thank you!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests