372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Discussion of Panerai watches.
Post Reply
User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14563
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Due to supposedly market demand R series 372 is the last one to come with Plexiglass. Starting with S series and on it will come with a Sapphire crystal just like 422 does from the beginning.

Interested to hear your thoughts. I had 422 and was fine with it being Sapphire but maybe it should come in both versions or with both crystals as a kit.

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30856
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:11 pm

That's a shame. I wasn't buying one either way, but I'd want plexiglass if I was.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
blkgsl
Herro!!!
Posts: 3022
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 am
Name: blkgsl

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by blkgsl » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:34 pm

With so many 372s out there, there won't be an immediate material impact to current value.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R@cerx
Posts: 3215
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:51 am
Name: David

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by R@cerx » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:59 pm

The guys in the know won't like it, everyone else won't know the difference.

User avatar
logan2z
IT Admin
Posts: 9838
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 am
Name: Andrew
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by logan2z » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Apparently the sapphire 372s have been out since August.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... ire+thread

User avatar
BacoNoir
Posts: 2040
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 6:33 pm
Name: Roger
Location: Colorado

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:51 pm

I bought the 422 for the sapphire over the acrylic, but if the 372 had been available with the sapphire at the time, I would have bought the 372.
Image

User avatar
logan2z
IT Admin
Posts: 9838
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 am
Name: Andrew
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by logan2z » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:55 pm

BacoNoir wrote:I bought the 422 for the sapphire over the acrylic, but if the 372 had been available with the sapphire at the time, I would have bought the 372.
I think the plexi really fits the character of the 372. I don't see a downside to it - I've worn the watch a lot and have yet to put any significant scratches on the crystal. And if/when I do they should polish out pretty easily. There's a spare crystal supplied with the watch too should I ever need it.

R@cerx
Posts: 3215
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:51 am
Name: David

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by R@cerx » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:23 am

logan2z wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:I bought the 422 for the sapphire over the acrylic, but if the 372 had been available with the sapphire at the time, I would have bought the 372.
I think the plexi really fits the character of the 372. I don't see a downside to it - I've worn the watch a lot and have yet to put any significant scratches on the crystal. And if/when I do they should polish out pretty easily. There's a spare crystal supplied with the watch too should I ever need it.
I've had the same experience. I doubt I would have a 372 if the crystal had alway been sapphire. I'd like to see a comparison picture though.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14563
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:09 am

Image

R@cerx
Posts: 3215
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:51 am
Name: David

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by R@cerx » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:17 am

Very similar, just a bit less edge distortion on the acrylic.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14563
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:36 am

R@cerx wrote:Very similar, just a bit less edge distortion on the acrylic.
Yep that's it. And Plexiglass gets those little hairlines on it that's part of the charm or source of irritation depending on who you talk to. That's why I was thinking they could have included both types in the kit since they give you 2 anyway

User avatar
Nellipj
Posts: 5022
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 am
Name: Patrick
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by Nellipj » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:38 am

Having both the 422 and 372 the biggest thing I notice between the crystals is the weight. Sounds silly, but the 422 feels heavier with the sapphire. Both look great in person.

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 24159
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by BBK357 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:22 am

Nellipj wrote:Having both the 422 and 372 the biggest thing I notice between the crystals is the weight. Sounds silly, but the 422 feels heavier with the sapphire. Both look great in person.

That's not silly at all.
I've noticed this with the Sinn 103, and even more with a Seiko 6105; one with sapphire and one with the OG. The sapphire def had more heft.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
logan2z
IT Admin
Posts: 9838
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 am
Name: Andrew
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by logan2z » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:40 am

Love this watch no matter which crystal it has (this one is plexi)...

Image

User avatar
blkgsl
Herro!!!
Posts: 3022
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 am
Name: blkgsl

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by blkgsl » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:43 pm

I love the 372 As well. If it was 44 or 45mm, I'd own one forever !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30856
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:17 pm

blkgsl wrote:I love the 372 As well. If it was 44 or 45mm, I'd own one forever !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's so obvious that they will never make it.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

R@cerx
Posts: 3215
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:51 am
Name: David

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by R@cerx » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:33 pm

It's perfect as is.

User avatar
mechnut
Posts: 3120
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:25 am
Name: Roger
Location: Virginia

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by mechnut » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:48 am

logan2z wrote:Love this watch no matter which crystal it has (this one is plexi)...

Image
^ This. I've had a 372, and currently have a 557, and I love the design either way.

User avatar
mechnut
Posts: 3120
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:25 am
Name: Roger
Location: Virginia

Re: 372 from S series on has sapphire crystal

Post by mechnut » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:50 am

CGSshorty wrote:
blkgsl wrote:I love the 372 As well. If it was 44 or 45mm, I'd own one forever !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's so obvious that they will never make it.
With the serious uptick in 42 and 44mm PAMs over the last year, I bet it won't be long.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests