PAM Depth Gauge

Discussion of Panerai watches.
kempoman

PAM Depth Gauge

Post by kempoman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi guys, i never visited this forum till today. I was offered a 307 and she gets me thinking.
1) Want to ask if this model collectible and since she is not full mechanical what is the mvts for depth gauge.
2) Is this an in-house movement or mod ETA?
2)Any battery needed or time for service?
3) Any link for reviews?
Thanks in advance.
Watch collector since 1989

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Re: PAM Depth Gauge

Post by Henryj » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:35 am

I can't speak directly to the Panerai, but a typical mechanical depth gauge is a very simple device. It shouldn't be any more than a straight forward pressure gauge with a dial marked in feet of depth. Water pressure, for the most part, changes in a linear fashion with a change in depth at approximately 0.44 pounds per square inch (psi) per foot of depth change. So, measure pressure and you measure depth. The simplest type, which I suspect in in your gauge, consists of a curved tube with one end open to the pressure you're measuring and the other end closed. As pressure in the tube increases, it tries to straighten out, this movement of the end of the tube is transmitted, usually by a simple linkage, to the pointer.

Technically speaking, the tube moves because of a difference in pressure between its inside and outside, so it needs to be in a sealed container. In other words, if the case leaks, the depth gauge indicates zero feet.

Please post pics, I'd like to see it.

Ok, I just looked up the 307. Mechanical auto watch movement, and some sort of battery powered electronic depth gauge.
http://hellopanerai.blogspot.ae/2011/05 ... -1950.html
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

mechnut
Name: Roger

Post by mechnut » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:21 am

kempoman wrote:Hi guys, i never visited this forum till today. I was offered a 307 and she gets me thinking.
1) Want to ask if this model collectible and since she is not full mechanical what is the mvts for depth gauge.
2) Is this an in-house movement or mod ETA?
2)Any battery needed or time for service?
3) Any link for reviews?
Thanks in advance.

One of my all-time favorite PAM's. I've been eyeing the 193 for several years, but it's just too damn expensive.
2) The movement is an OP XV which is a modified Valjoux 7750 with the chronograph mechanism removed.
3) The depth gauge is a separate, battery powered mechanism between the movement and the case-back.

It's a BIG ASS watch. Check with Kev for a hands-on since he has first hand experience.

Picture: http://www.panerai.com/en/collections/s ... 00307.html

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:23 am

What a beauty but definite beast :thumbsup:

YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Name: Josh

Post by YOHOHO » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:32 am

some 307 talk in this thread and link to kev's video. http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/f ... t=+panerai

I love the 307, but haven't been able to get myself to pull the trigger. They are expensive and don't seem easy to liquidate (if the potential of needing to sell didn't matter, I'd have one). While I love the size, I think it may be a bit big for many.

kempoman

Post by kempoman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks guys for the info. I need to re-think to own one,
"Use of lithium battery-powered depth gauge to ensure that the electronic measuring module provided up to 500 hours of energy. To better protect the safety, Luminor 1950 Submersible Depth Gauge could sound the alarm when the battery was about to run out. At this point, the hand would slowly moved from the OFF position to zero, then slowly moved back to the OFF position, all functions of the depth gauge were shut down. To ensure safety at sea, the watch should be sent to Panerai watch service department to check at least every two years, if you regularly used the depth gauge function, then the watch needed to be checked frequently."
Watch collector since 1989