Rads vs Luminors- fit, aesthetics, resale etc

Discussion of Panerai watches.
mattjmcd
Name: Matt

Rads vs Luminors- fit, aesthetics, resale etc

Post by mattjmcd » Wed May 27, 2015 9:18 am

Dudes,

I had a chance to try on a 183 and a 388 the other day. These are 45mm vs the more conventional PAM standard Luminor case which is usually 44mm. However, I found that the Radiomirs seemed to wear a bit smaller on me than the 44mm watches. Has this been your experience, too? I'd always been turned off a bit by the aesthetics of the Radiomirs, in part because of the width of the strap at the lugs. I haven't measured, but I ASSume that they are 26mm or more. But again, after trying a couple it seemed to my eye that while they are wide, the taper gives the watch the same ) or similar ) visual effect that one gets with something like an IWC Inge on leather.

Since I've been somewhat put off by the Rads in the past, I've never paid much attention to how they are viewed by the WIS community. I don't know if those watches have decent resale, or if they are in some way considered ball-and-chain watches- easily acquired but hard to get rid of. I will say that trying them has made me see them in a different light.

My question(s) to the cognoscenti: should one steer clear of the Radiomirs for a first PAM if one is not 100% on the long term potential as a keeper? Any reason not to dive in with the Rads? Thanks, gents.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Re: Rads vs Luminors- fit, aesthetics, resale etc

Post by logan2z » Wed May 27, 2015 9:34 am

The 45mm Rads with wire lugs definitely wear smaller than the 44mm Luminors in my experience.

As far as desirability, I think both Rads and Luminors have their admirers and I wouldn't think it would necessarily be harder to sell a Rad. Between the 183 and 388, I'd say that it would probably be easier to sell the 183 since it will likely appeal to someone looking to get into the brand for the first time, and it is more inline with the brand's history i.e. hand wind movement, no date complication, etc.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed May 27, 2015 9:55 am

A 44mm Luminor fits me perfectly. A 45mm Rad is borderline, but the 47mm is perfect on me. Some of the 45mm autos are a little thick, so I tend to prefer the hand crankers.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed May 27, 2015 12:18 pm

I think the base model Luminors work well for a first go at Panerai-- like a 000, 111, 112, 176...
Lug to lug the the base models I think are around 52MM--lower profile as well...

I'd love a 372 (47MM) but just too big for me--to me that is the one...

All of that being said, my next Panerai will most like be a Rad--45MM by about 51MM and fits under my cuff...

Good luck
Mike

koda240
Hot Legs!
Name: David

Post by koda240 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:59 pm

I think you'd move a luminor faster, but the rads are kick ass with the right strap. I would buy what suits your lifestyle best. Rads wear far better under a cuff and easier to dress up. Lums can be dressed up as well but sportier. Neither have great resale value.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Wed May 27, 2015 2:12 pm

Purely on a resale, equivalent Radiomir and Luminor models have a ~10% resale difference - Luminors are "classic" Panerai styling, and hence enjoy better resale values and move quicker.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Wed May 27, 2015 2:29 pm

jimyritz wrote:I think the base model Luminors work well for a first go at Panerai-- like a 000, 111, 112, 176...
Lug to lug the the base models I think are around 52MM--lower profile as well...
This. If you can pull off the 372 (and I can't, but I love the watch so much I wear one anyway), it's the one to have IMO.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Wed May 27, 2015 2:41 pm

so true.
rahul, i hate you for letting me have that "one niter" with your 372, it ruined me.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Wed May 27, 2015 3:09 pm

jtbenson wrote:so true.
rahul, i hate you for letting me have that "one niter" with your 372, it ruined me.
:grin:

mattjmcd
Name: Matt

Post by mattjmcd » Wed May 27, 2015 6:02 pm

blkgsl wrote:Purely on a resale, equivalent Radiomir and Luminor models have a ~10% resale difference - Luminors are "classic" Panerai styling, and hence enjoy better resale values and move quicker.
Dude, you are the devil on my shoulder right now! :grin: :stir:

Seriously, I just got to thinking "maybe it's finally time to make that move to PAM", and now all of the sudden it's fuckin' raining Panerai. There are 2 local deals people have been telling me about, then your -90, then another good seller posts one, and now another trusted AD buddy is suddenly calling with not one but 2 watches she wants to show me. Yikes. Is fate trying to tell me something? :shrug: :grin:

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Wed May 27, 2015 8:31 pm

mattjmcd wrote:
blkgsl wrote:Purely on a resale, equivalent Radiomir and Luminor models have a ~10% resale difference - Luminors are "classic" Panerai styling, and hence enjoy better resale values and move quicker.
Dude, you are the devil on my shoulder right now! :grin: :stir:

Seriously, I just got to thinking "maybe it's finally time to make that move to PAM", and now all of the sudden it's fuckin' raining Panerai. There are 2 local deals people have been telling me about, then your -90, then another good seller posts one, and now another trusted AD buddy is suddenly calling with not one but 2 watches she wants to show me. Yikes. Is fate trying to tell me something? :shrug: :grin:
Just take mine Hahahah.