Panerai SIHH 2014

Discussion of Panerai watches.
JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Panerai SIHH 2014

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:40 am

BBK357 wrote:Far from a Panerai fan and no knowledge but I loved these that I got on Instagram, really cool pieces-
I like this one a lot. I'd never buy it because it's probably 55mmx20mm, but it looks nice.

bzabodyn
Name: BZ

Post by bzabodyn » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:46 am

I like the 590 actually - the painted vintage lume markers/numbers has always been my favorite. The 8 Giorno should be reserved for LEs etc but this one doesn't have what it takes to "deserve" it - in my opinion.

BZ
--> Brandon

Instagram @bzabodyn214

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:19 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:Far from a Panerai fan and no knowledge but I loved these that I got on Instagram, really cool pieces-
I like this one a lot. I'd never buy it because it's probably 55mmx20mm, but it looks nice.
This is an odd duck - I like it, but AFAIK there is no precedent for syringe hands on a Panerai. Usually their styling cues come from some past model. But then again, they certainly weren't making a chrono in 1940.
Last edited by jswing on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jswing

Post by jswing » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:20 am

dukerules wrote:PAM 590 (not an SIHH release, but a North American boutique edition) is intriguing, but I don't really understand the point. It would be much better with a 3 on the dial. It's almost as if OP is just throwing components in a mixer and producing whatever comes out.
Oh no, they're making a 203 homage? :banghead: Not very well I might add.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:21 am

jswing wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
This is an odd duck - I like it, but AFAIK there is no precedent for syringe hands on a Panerai. Usually their styling cues come from some past model.
Probably why I like it!

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:22 am

jswing wrote:
dukerules wrote:PAM 590 (not an SIHH release, but a North American boutique edition) is intriguing, but I don't really understand the point. It would be much better with a 3 on the dial. It's almost as if OP is just throwing components in a mixer and producing whatever comes out.
If they're going to stick with the fake vintage piss-lume, they should at least use piss-ink for the text so it looks old as well.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:56 am

^^good point

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:00 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
jswing wrote:
If they're going to stick with the fake vintage piss-lume, they should at least use piss-ink for the text so it looks old as well.
If you look at most old(ish) Panerai, the lume turns color but the text does not. I think they are Right to stick with white text. That being said, I have no love for all the vintage like they have been using.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:11 am

CGSshorty wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
jswing wrote:
If you look at most old(ish) Panerai, the lume turns color but the text does not. I think they are Right to stick with white text. That being said, I have no love for all the vintage like they have been using.
Does it not change at all, or not as much? Because the text on a vintage Rolex can often appear white next to the aged lume, but has clearly yellowed next to a newer watch.

Also, are we talking about the semi-"vintage" PAMs, or the true vintage models?

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
jswing wrote:
Does it not change at all, or not as much? Because the text on a vintage Rolex can often appear white next to the aged lume, but has clearly yellowed next to a newer watch.

Even in the true vintage stuff you see aged lume and white text. It degrades, but doesn't turn the same color as the lume. I think it would look terrible if the script matches the lume on the new stuff.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

jswing

Post by jswing » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:34 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
jswing wrote:

Here's a 50s vintage, made for the Egyptian navy, and presumably what this new one is loosely based on. Well, this and the 203. The text still looks pretty white.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:45 am

jswing wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
jswing wrote:

Here's a 50s vintage, made for the Egyptian navy, and presumably what this new one is loosely based on. Well, this and the 203. The text still looks pretty white.

Thanks for the photo. I don't think the text/lume mismatch is nearly as vivid on the old watch as it is on the new one.

jswing

Post by jswing » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:58 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
jswing wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
jswing wrote:

Thanks for the photo. I don't think the text/lume mismatch is nearly as vivid on the old watch as it is on the new one.
I don't disagree, but this may not have been the best example of a vintage PAM, the hands and indices don't look all that faded either.

This 590 is just a mess all around IMO. As Rahul said, lately it looks like they just throw some vintage or pre-v component on a watch and give it a new model #. I like some of their models, no question, but as a brand I think they've jumped the shark.

bzabodyn
Name: BZ

Post by bzabodyn » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Definitely nothing that would make me consider getting rid of my 233 for it...

BZ
--> Brandon

Instagram @bzabodyn214

DAVIDSWdan
Name: Dan

Post by DAVIDSWdan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Guess I have to wait another year for a 44mm bronzo. My dream watch.
"Why yes, I am known as the man with the white glove"