Panerai7
Name: Art

Re: So... the new PO

Post by Panerai7 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:19 am

dnslater wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:22 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:19 am
I gotta tell you the amount of interesting watches Omega makes nowadays is amazing. Granted a lot of them are controversial and not for everyone.
And you can go to an actual store and buy them at your leisure!
It's crazy the mass hysteria partially fueled by IG/Social Media surrounding Rolex. I love Rolex and have always had 1 or 2 in the stable at any given time in the past 20 years, but they all look the same, on the same 2 bracelets, made out of the same damn steel (not counting PM models), most of them with the same ugly cyclops. No titanium, no ceramic case, no bold colors, no experimenting with different chrono movements and sizes. Can't figure out how to make Pepsi, roll out meh black and blue and everyone gobbles it up. Slap a jubilee on an old existing model and WOW - REVOLUTIONARY. It's just a phenomenon why they're not sitting in the store shelves unsold. Starting to remind me of Apple and their iSheep

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 am

Joeprez wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 am
Regarding the orange, I think those are bad pictures (yes, I know they are official ones). There's already a Ploprof with an orange ceramic bezel... my guess is that it is the same hue of orange:

Is that a bad picture too? Because it looks crappy there as well.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue May 21, 2019 6:59 am

Joeprez wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:15 am
JBZ wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:46 am
Panerai7 wrote:
I gotta tell you the amount of interesting watches Omega makes nowadays is amazing. Granted a lot of them are controversial and not for everyone.
I honestly think they're overextending themselves with their designs and their LEs, but they've got enough "standard" models to keep people happy. Plus, as Nick said, you can actually buy them (and for a reasonable price, too).
I've never found an issue with a watch brand having too much models of a watch... better for us customers in my opinion.

I visited the local Omega AD this weekend and saw a lot of cool stuff. Will post pictures later.
I don't mind diversity, but companies that try to be everything to everyone get lost in the weeds sometimes. OTOH, sometimes they become Seiko, so :shrug:

I think the answer is somewhere between the five models Rolex offers and the 500 that Omega offers (a lot of which are just subtle variations of the same watch).

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue May 21, 2019 7:44 am

They released an Orange ceramic bezel GMT a few years ago that was an LE.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue May 21, 2019 7:48 am

JBZ wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:59 am
Joeprez wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
I honestly think they're overextending themselves with their designs and their LEs, but they've got enough "standard" models to keep people happy. Plus, as Nick said, you can actually buy them (and for a reasonable price, too).
I've never found an issue with a watch brand having too much models of a watch... better for us customers in my opinion.

I visited the local Omega AD this weekend and saw a lot of cool stuff. Will post pictures later.
I don't mind diversity, but companies that try to be everything to everyone get lost in the weeds sometimes. OTOH, sometimes they become Seiko, so :shrug:

I think the answer is somewhere between the five models Rolex offers and the 500 that Omega offers (a lot of which are just subtle variations of the same watch).
My problem with omega is that they have 500 models, yet don’t offer a single modestly sized thin diver, and can’t manage to make a new 2254.

The astronaut’s butt LE though, they have that one!

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue May 21, 2019 7:52 am

dnslater wrote:They released an Orange ceramic bezel GMT a few years ago that was an LE.
This looks good and I suspect the new orange bezel will also look better that it does in the initial release photos.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:48 am
JBZ wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:

My problem with omega is that they have 500 models, yet don’t offer a single modestly sized thin diver, and can’t manage to make a new 2254.
Not to sound overly pessimistic but, given Omega's track record, I'm guessing we may all be disappointed when/if they actually do bring out a 2254 replacement. Look at how the PO has evolved since the 2500. Yes, it has a more advanced movement, but it's a lot less wearable than the original.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:

The astronaut’s butt LE though, they have that one!
Yeah the 50th anniversary Speedy had so much potential. There were talks of 321 movement and could have done a tasteful black ceramic bezel with luminova like the white Snoopy and so on. Instead that butt medallion

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue May 21, 2019 8:08 am

logan2z wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:

Not to sound overly pessimistic but, given Omega's track record, I'm guessing we may all be disappointed when/if they actually do bring out a 2254 replacement. Look at how the PO has evolved since the 2500. Yes, it has a more advanced movement, but it's a lot less wearable than the original.
It's the thickness that kills them for me. I recently picked up a 39mm AT with the 2500 movement (not sure if it's a B or C). It's just an incredibly well designed, comfortable watch. Not too thick and with a case shape that hugs the wrist. The bracelet looks great (even though it comes up short on the lack of micro adjusts). The newer Omegas have just gotten too thick.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue May 21, 2019 8:26 am

logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:

I kinda disagree. My 43.5 PO 8900 is more comfortable, more wearable, and better in every respect than my 45.5 PO 2500 -except in the classic look.

The 8900 is a fantastic watch.

Each generation of the PO has its endearing traits.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue May 21, 2019 8:55 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:26 am
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:

I kinda disagree. My 43.5 PO 8900 is more comfortable, more wearable, and better in every respect than my 45.5 PO 2500 -except in the classic look.

Interesting, I find my PO2500 extremely comfortable but found the newer models overly thick. That's not to say that I would find the thicker watches uncomfortable, but they just felt a bit awkward on my wrist. But glad to hear the 8900 works well for you.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Tue May 21, 2019 1:14 pm

hoppyjr wrote:

i mean, there is the whole "it's 2mm smaller diameter" thing to compensate for the thicker case there. if you compared it to the smaller PO it would feel more beastly.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Tue May 21, 2019 2:53 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 am
Regarding the orange, I think those are bad pictures (yes, I know they are official ones). There's already a Ploprof with an orange ceramic bezel... my guess is that it is the same hue of orange:

Is that a bad picture too? Because it looks crappy there as well.
Never as cool as the OG orange PO, but better than the recent photos. That Ti Ploprof is cool as fuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue May 21, 2019 3:03 pm

logan2z wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:

Interesting, I find my PO2500 extremely comfortable but found the newer models overly thick. That's not to say that I would find the thicker watches uncomfortable, but they just felt a bit awkward on my wrist. But glad to hear the 8900 works well for you.
The 8XXX series is thicker but I would be happy with a Ti PO anyways:

And these two are reaaaally cool:

That two-tone rose gold seamaster is super nice.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:46 pm

That ceramic no date is so money

Danny_T
The T is for Tacky
Name: Danny

Post by Danny_T » Tue May 21, 2019 5:46 pm

That’s not red.

This is red

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue May 21, 2019 6:36 pm

Panerai7 wrote:That ceramic no date is so money
It's incredibly nice.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed May 22, 2019 4:16 am

Joeprez wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:36 pm
Panerai7 wrote:That ceramic no date is so money
It's incredibly nice.

Agreed, this looks terrific. It is larger though?

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Wed May 22, 2019 3:23 pm

Yes, its larger than the regular Seamaster, but so comfortable. The good thing is that is not a thick or heavy watch, that helps a lot even if it is a tad larger than what I usually like.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed May 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:23 pm
Yes, its larger than the regular Seamaster, but so comfortable. The good thing is that is not a thick or heavy watch, that helps a lot even if it is a tad larger than what I usually like.
It looks gigantic on you, but it could be the picture. It’s also thicker than the smaller date version for no reason.

bnabod

Post by bnabod » Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 pm

JBZ wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:

It's the thickness that kills them for me. I recently picked up a 39mm AT with the 2500 movement (not sure if it's a B or C). It's just an incredibly well designed, comfortable watch. Not too thick and with a case shape that hugs the wrist. The bracelet looks great (even though it comes up short on the lack of micro adjusts). The newer Omegas have just gotten too thick.

Yes they are thick but one of my favs.

I do like the 39.5mm PO but still thick in my book for its size maybe we shall see some shrinkage soon....

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed May 22, 2019 5:02 pm

The 39.5mm wears like a big mac on the wrist. The thickness to diameter ratio is totally off. Combine that with a smallish dial and 19mm lugs :doh:

I really wanted to flip my 42mm PO2500d for one, and then I tried it on :puke:

bnabod

Post by bnabod » Wed May 22, 2019 5:18 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:The 39.5mm wears like a big mac on the wrist. The thickness to diameter ratio is totally off. Combine that with a smallish dial and 19mm lugs :doh:

That is indeed the issue I love the size 39.5 /40 but the thickness is no bueno ...shame

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed May 22, 2019 5:27 pm

bnabod wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:18 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:The 39.5mm wears like a big mac on the wrist. The thickness to diameter ratio is totally off. Combine that with a smallish dial and 19mm lugs :doh:

That is indeed the issue I love the size 39.5 /40 but the thickness is no bueno ...shame
The 19mm lugs are possibly even more of a pain in the ass. If you need a 39.5mm watch, you also need a short strap with high probability.

He's the list of decent short 19mm straps:

bnabod

Post by bnabod » Wed May 22, 2019 6:07 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
bnabod wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:18 pm

The 19mm lugs are possibly even more of a pain in the ass. If you need a 39.5mm watch, you also need a short strap with high probability.

He's the list of decent short 19mm straps:

Which is why I have this instead

Had a PO once felt big on my wrist ...