A session with the Omega technician

Discussion of Omega watches.
ChuckW
Name: Chuck

A session with the Omega technician

Post by ChuckW » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:37 pm

I've had an appointment for a couple months to take advantage of a visiting Omega technician at the Atlanta boutique. An hour of time was set up for evaluation of the running condition of my Omega watches for no charge.This afternoon, I took three watches. The PO 42mm 2500D was one, which I had no service history on when I bought it, but the folks at Omega had a record of a 2013 service. It's currently running about +8 spd. I also took the 2255, which was running +2 spd after being serviced last year, but somehow got magnetized. Degaussing it made it run slower, but it never got below 8 to 9 seconds per day fast. I also took my Speedypro 3570.50, which always seems to run at +3 spd, but it's five years old and I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it evaluated.

Eric, the technician, tested my Planet Ocean and didn't think service was needed for the immediate future and seemed to be on the fence about cracking it open to regulate for +8 spd. He says it'll probably start to slow down as it gets closer to needing service. While I had degaussed the watch, Eric found a significant magnetic charge on the bracelet clasp. He explained that magnetism can be sneaky about affecting parts like bracelets, crowns and HRVs. He thoroughly degaussed it, so I'll see if it slows down a little. It was no surprise that the Speedmaster was not needing service and being a Speedypro owner himself, Eric was envious of the accuracy of mine.

All in all, the evaluation was good news. It's good to have access to that kind of service and I enjoyed the visit.
Last edited by ChuckW on Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, it's not Tourettes.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Re: A session with the Omega technician

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:41 pm

Never thought about clasp/magnetism relationship - also l’ve thoroughly enjoyed each visit the the ATL OB

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Re: A session with the Omega technician

Post by Joeprez » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Very interesting Chuck, I will call my local OB to see if they would do something similar.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko