SMP crown issue

Discussion of Omega watches.
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

SMP crown issue

Post by poppydog » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:48 am

I had my SMP serviced about a year ago, and everything seemed fine until about a month ago and it developed some condensation under the crystal. It had been in water, but I'm very careful about checking before it's submerged. Anyway, I unscrewed and pulled out the crown, popped it into a jar of rice and the next day took it in to the AD. It was sent off under warranty and I've just got it back. I noticed before I returned it to the AD that when the crown was unscrewed, there was virtually no "spring out" when pushing the crown towards the case to meet the thread - not sure how else to describe it but when the crown is unscrewed, it normally kind of "pops" out slightly when the threads part, and then needs pushing in, compressing the spring, to make the threads meet to screw back in. Omega did another complete service under the previous service warranty, and the crown issue is the same as before. I plan on taking it back to the AD with my other SMP (I have the blue and the black) to show the difference. Anyone else come across anything like this?
Regards

Steve

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: SMP crown issue

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:30 am

We have changed the crown/tube on the older versions that have went bad. What you are describing is the spring action of the crown when released. I personally do not know if they newer model has a spring. But I can tell you this, if you have any doubts then take it back to them and ask to try another out to see if it does the same thing. There job is to make sure you fell comfortable about the operation of your watch.

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks Terry, that's kind of what I wondering; whether how it is now is "normal" in that Omega has changed something in that part of the watch's operation. When I took it back in, the shop assistant wrote down my concerns about the crown, and the service-parts list includes replacement crown tube. Like I said, I cam hand wind it and it does screw in; it just is so different to my other SMP.
Regards

Steve

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:09 pm

poppydog wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:13 pm
Thanks Terry, that's kind of what I wondering; whether how it is now is "normal" in that Omega has changed something in that part of the watch's operation. When I took it back in, the shop assistant wrote down my concerns about the crown, and the service-parts list includes replacement crown tube. Like I said, I cam hand wind it and it does screw in; it just is so different to my other SMP.
Steve if I can look up the parts for it I will. But this design might not have a crown spring.

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:58 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:09 pm
poppydog wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:13 pm
Steve if I can look up the parts for it I will. But this design might not have a crown spring.
Thanks Terry, appreciate it. I will, though, go back to the AD just to see what they say.
Regards

Steve