Name: Hoppy

Re: Speedy Tuesday Ultraman

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:11 am

logan2z wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:22 am
WTF is ultraman?
https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedmaster-ultraman/
Too much to read, but I get that it’s some type of fictional character.

Hard pass. The watch looks fine, but it’s silly.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:59 am

Really like the looks of the watch, but that f_ing nickname I hate. Even as a kid, way back when, I thought that was the all time worse show ever.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:14 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 am
I like it except that the UV Ultraman logo doesn’t speak to me. My guess is a quick sell out by speculators again.
That UV logo was the first thing that hit me as off here. But as I thought about it in the few seconds I had to make a reservation, it kind of became a non-issue. As Rahul said, there are a lot of nods to the vintage Ultraman which make this hugely interesting to fans of the 145.012 reference (the stepped dial and deep subdials, the applied logo on the dial, which matches on the retro crown, the orange font and sweep seconds hand, and a DON bezel). Even at the stupid mark up, it's definitely easier to enjoy all of that on a fun, modern take of the original, than finding a genuine pre-Moon Speedy.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:02 pm

Not for me, but congrats to those who snagged the reservation. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop on all of these special edition Speedies, but they seem to be doing just fine! :)
:htfu:

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:50 pm

now that I can't order one, I want one. #gofigure

used to watch Ultraman with my dad when I was kid a long time ago. #goodtimes

like a lot of us that missed out, I'll be on the lookout if/when someone doesn't like theirs (not the specualtors/flip for profit guys) just the one that sees it and says "meh"

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:11 pm

is that a dot over 90 bezel????... :)

I like the look...

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 pm

TSD wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:14 pm
BacoNoir wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 am
I like it except that the UV Ultraman logo doesn’t speak to me. My guess is a quick sell out by speculators again.
That UV logo was the first thing that hit me as off here. But as I thought about it in the few seconds I had to make a reservation, it kind of became a non-issue. As Rahul said, there are a lot of nods to the vintage Ultraman which make this hugely interesting to fans of the 145.012 reference (the stepped dial and deep subdials, the applied logo on the dial, which matches on the retro crown, the orange font and sweep seconds hand, and a DON bezel). Even at the stupid mark up, it's definitely easier to enjoy all of that on a fun, modern take of the original, than finding a genuine pre-Moon Speedy.
Tom nailed it. My thoughts exactly.

Also, I've been toying with the idea of picking up a "racing" Speedmaster of some flavor for a bit. I think this one will nicely scratch that itch (so in my head, I'm actually saving money here, buying only one watch, instead of two :shrug: ).

kempoman

Post by kempoman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 am

I didn't know ultraman is BIG outside Asia. Since young I know him and HULK more than any other Avengers. Congrats on the watch though
Watch collector since 1989

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:47 pm

These editions and their silly prices (for ref. 1861) make me love my 3570.50 more and more. Yet another LE without a bracelet at this price point.

If I were in a position to drop this type of money on a Speedy LE I'd hold my wad for the 50th Apollo 11. The Apollo 11 has HIGH expectations no doubt which means it's likely to be a love it or hate relationship, so I sorta get securing this LE while the getting is good and if you have the means. My guess for the 50th is TI like the 45th, meteorite dial, and unicorn semen for lume. It had better be good.

No doubt it's a cool looking reference so congrats to those that got them.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:33 pm

I loved Ultraman, even when he fought godzilla. Not to much on the watch though.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:59 am

The 50th Apollo XI LE will probably be incredible, and also incredibly hard to get. I suspect they'll use a stepped dial, and some version of a DON bezel. I bet it will be a much more conservative watch than these two STs.

There are plenty of haters, but if you've ever seen the first ST in the metal, you'd likely agree that it's incredible, and blows away the standard modern Speedy Pro. Of course, it should, at its premium price.

TSD

Post by TSD » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:37 am

dukerules wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:59 am
The 50th Apollo XI LE will probably be incredible, and also incredibly hard to get. I suspect they'll use a stepped dial, and some version of a DON bezel. I bet it will be a much more conservative watch than these two STs.

There are plenty of haters, but if you've ever seen the first ST in the metal, you'd likely agree that it's incredible, and blows away the standard modern Speedy Pro. Of course, it should, at its premium price.
+1. Most Speedy fans probably don’t come at this from the same perspective, but I’m cautiously optimistic this watch will feel different from the modern Moonwatch, and enough of a throwback to the pre-Moon references, that it keeps it fun. A 50th Anniversary model with the same stepped dial, applied historic logo and matching crown, DON bezel variant, and a Cal. 321 would be something, but seems kind of too much to expect (and likely too expensive). My guess is the orange sweep hand on the Ultraman will be a one off, and the rest of the historic design elements will be the basis of an Anniversary edition to follow next year. Retooling to revive a Cal. 321 seems like a stretch if it’s a limited run, unless they go beyond 1,969 pieces.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:17 pm

To each his own I guess...

What's the point of the red 3 minute marking on the minutes register? Is that the allotted time Godzilla wrecks your city should Ultraman not show to save the day? I guess I'll pinch my pennies patiently for the Anpanman version should it be anything like Marui panda... Hopefully the register will be red in letting me know when my Anpanman-pan with sweet red bean paste is ready from the oven.

Look, it's a great looking watch. I'll put this one a mere belt notch below the previous Speedy Tuesday and 100 belt notches above the latest snoopy. Omega sure has done what it had intended in making a dial worth $3K more and without bracelet. The 11th Anniversary LE will be especially hard to get because of the exclusive LE speedy crazy of the last two years. Period. Omega wanted to be Rolex and they're meeting their goal.

I guess I am a hater in that I was hoping for a 45th Apollo 15 for direct family connection, but it seems these gimmicky LEs seized the day (and yet they did a recent Apollo XVII release? So the cmdr has to die now? Good news i guess in that Scott is still alive) Again, I applaud those who reserved as it's quite handsome, and know that Omega needs to move away from the mission orientated watches nobody will understand/appreciate in years time, but I just haven't come around to accept their direction. What would a 100th anniversary Apollo 15 mean to anyone anyway? They've certainly put themselves in a position to make the 50th Apollo 11th unobtanium. I guess the good news is that they'll increase in value decades to come once the remaining Apollo 11 50ths are found in a sock drawer when the surviving members of the family do the estate sale.

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:10 am

An Ultra Warrior's greatest weakness is their need for solar energy. The Earth's atmosphere weakens the Ultramen the longer they stay because it naturally filters out the majority of light that reaches its surface. This most likely occurs on other planets but the Earth is part of a single star system, while most planets in real life, are found to have two or three stars that they orbit. The lack of adequate amounts of sunlight and the filtering effect of the atmosphere means an Ultra can only stay on Earth for approximately three minutes. They do not have this problem in space as long as there is an adequate light source.

This restriction, known by fans as the 'Three Minute Rule', is not a problem for all Ultras in different continuities. These Ultras have the equivalents of Color Timers, either to alert them to when they have used up too much energy fighting or to signify when they are injured.

Out of universe, the Color Timer exists to let the viewer know when the hero is injured, tired or a combination of both.

The time limit of three minutes was chosen because the number 3 is familiar to Japanese people, and was an important number in everyday life. The baseball star of the time Shigeo Nagasima's shirt had the number 3, a round of boxing also lasts 3 minutes, instant noodles released at that time can be cooked in 3 minutes, etc. The staff also considered Ultraman fighting for about one tenth of the approximately 30-minute program, which was three minutes, thus allowing each battle in the specific episode to fit neatly into its timing

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:26 am

Bucket powers activate!

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:55 am

unixshrk wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:10 am
An Ultra Warrior's greatest weakness is their need for solar energy. The Earth's atmosphere weakens the Ultramen the longer they stay because it naturally filters out the majority of light that reaches its surface. This most likely occurs on other planets but the Earth is part of a single star system, while most planets in real life, are found to have two or three stars that they orbit. The lack of adequate amounts of sunlight and the filtering effect of the atmosphere means an Ultra can only stay on Earth for approximately three minutes. They do not have this problem in space as long as there is an adequate light source.

This restriction, known by fans as the 'Three Minute Rule', is not a problem for all Ultras in different continuities. These Ultras have the equivalents of Color Timers, either to alert them to when they have used up too much energy fighting or to signify when they are injured.

Out of universe, the Color Timer exists to let the viewer know when the hero is injured, tired or a combination of both.

The time limit of three minutes was chosen because the number 3 is familiar to Japanese people, and was an important number in everyday life. The baseball star of the time Shigeo Nagasima's shirt had the number 3, a round of boxing also lasts 3 minutes, instant noodles released at that time can be cooked in 3 minutes, etc. The staff also considered Ultraman fighting for about one tenth of the approximately 30-minute program, which was three minutes, thus allowing each battle in the specific episode to fit neatly into its timing
Now I know that someone must have hacked Chris's account because this is about 10x the number of words he's posted to the forum over the last 5 years.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:18 pm

The geek is strong with this reference.

Makes perfect sense now. Like I said, although we can virtually guarantee an Apollo 11th 50th, Omega needs another geek genre moving forward.

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:16 pm

OK, some Aussie dude with 105 posts and no feedback just put one up for sale, payment via wire transfer. Is there another way to say "fat chance?"

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-om ... 2743.html
No, it's not Tourettes.

TSD

Post by TSD » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:28 am

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:53 am

Congratulations Tom, that looks fantastic!
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:54 am

Looks great. Congratulations
Regards
Barry

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:05 am

I dont give a flip about ultraman - but that is a fantastic looking watch.

Would it be so hard to just have a watch like this - basically a 42mm moonwatch with a racing dial color scheme - in the regular collection? They would sell a ton.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:06 am

TSD wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:28 am
Fan-Freakin-Tastic!!

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:14 am

That looks really nice, I think the color scheme would grow on you

TSD

Post by TSD » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:59 am

rockmastermike wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:06 am
Fan-Freakin-Tastic!!
Appreciate it, guys. Knew you would love it, Mike. :salute:
It is a great color orange in person. I'm not sure about either strap that Omega chose, but I'm pretty sure it'll look awesome on an 1171. Will post up some pics once I find mine in the drawer.