Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Discussion of Omega watches.
User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 14949
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:27 am

jimyritz wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:20 am
TimelessLuxWatches wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:46 pm
gwells wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:52 pm
logan2z wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:30 pm
gwells wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:27 pm
you're missing the only thing omega released that i liked. the seamaster 1948.
He posted a photo of the central seconds version:

Image

That's my favorite release from Omega this year.
missed it. i may like the small seconds even better.

Image

but this was the star of the show for omega.
I (slightly) prefer the small seconds myself, although I might like it more on the other strap.
=================

the 1948's :thumbsup: --- I agree the one with the small seconds hand...
Have you seen the profile view? It's pretty fat for what's supposed to be a dress watch.

User avatar
jimyritz
Masshole
Posts: 22298
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am
Name: Mike
Location: Boston

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by jimyritz » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:55 am

gwells wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:27 pm
you're missing the only thing omega released that i liked. the seamaster 1948.
He posted a photo of the central seconds version:

Image

That's my favorite release from Omega this year.
[/quote]

missed it. i may like the small seconds even better.

Image

but this was the star of the show for omega.
[/quote]

I (slightly) prefer the small seconds myself, although I might like it more on the other strap.
[/quote]
=================

the 1948's :thumbsup: --- I agree the one with the small seconds hand...
[/quote]

Have you seen the profile view? It's pretty fat for what's supposed to be a dress watch.
[/quote]
===================
That's a great point- I'd certainly need to see it live, but I like that look....

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 14949
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:01 am

Me too. It's a really pretty watch, but I was surprised when I saw a 3/4 view. It looked "omega chunky" just like all their watches. Maybe not such an issue in person, but something to be on the lookout for.

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 27221
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by matt.wu » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:06 am

Omega's movements do tend to be fat, so that's not surprising.
:htfu:

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 14949
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:14 am

I don't know for a fact, but it seems like omegas are fat relative their movement size. It's not like you need an ultra thin dress movement to make a normal thickness watch.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14151
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:17 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:14 am
I don't know for a fact, but it seems like omegas are fat relative their movement size. It's not like you need an ultra thin dress movement to make a normal thickness watch.
Does it have one of those exhibition bubble backs? Because that's what usually makes it thick on Omegas

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 14949
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:19 am

Image

Very thick caseback.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14151
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 am

That probably adds 2-3mm to the thickness

User avatar
TimelessLuxWatches
Posts: 826
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 pm
Name: Brett

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm

Personally, I've had just made it hand wound to begin with and kept it thin that way.

Unfortunately, at least for our part, the '48s were sold out almost instantaneously. They seem to be pretty hot.

User avatar
gwells
Posts: 6261
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am
Name: Greg
Location: NoVA

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by gwells » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:06 pm

TimelessLuxWatches wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm
Personally, I've had just made it hand wound to begin with and kept it thin that way.
this, totally. i love my junghans handwound. that thing is super slim, classic dress watch. my 1970 deville looks nice and slim, too, and that's a nearly 50 yr old auto.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14151
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:08 pm

gwells wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:06 pm
TimelessLuxWatches wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm
Personally, I've had just made it hand wound to begin with and kept it thin that way.
this, totally. i love my junghans handwound. that thing is super slim, classic dress watch. my 1970 deville looks nice and slim, too, and that's a nearly 50 yr old auto.
I think there should be more handwound watches especially if a screw down crown is not needed like a diver.

User avatar
TimelessLuxWatches
Posts: 826
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 pm
Name: Brett

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:58 pm

I 100% agree. Most of us at Timeless are big hand wound fans. When possible, we make our LEs hand wound too.

User avatar
BlueSky
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:47 pm
Name: David

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by BlueSky » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm

gwells wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:06 pm
TimelessLuxWatches wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm
Personally, I've had just made it hand wound to begin with and kept it thin that way.
this, totally. i love my junghans handwound. that thing is super slim, classic dress watch. my 1970 deville looks nice and slim, too, and that's a nearly 50 yr old auto.
You have a 1970 Deville? Coupe? Haven't thought about those in a while. Neat...

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14151
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:10 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:16 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:52 am
Supposedly there's a smaller ceramic case PO. Is that correct? I didn't see it.
There is

Image
Need to see it in person, but the proportions look terrible in the picture. It's like Omega forgot how to design a watch.
What's strange is that this is the only picture of it out there. It's like Omega is embarrassed of it. I personally like it more than all of the new laser wave dial Seamaster 300's combined :)

User avatar
TimelessLuxWatches
Posts: 826
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:14 pm
Name: Brett

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Omega did this last year too. They kept the non-LE Railmasters under wrap for months, not technically secret, but they didn't release stock photos to their dealers or put them on their own website.

Back then, I kind of suspected it was to promote the Trilogy Railmaster/collection, but that sold out almost immediately, so that didn't even really make sense.

GS does this stuff too, with like watches you can order and even receive sometimes before they've officially acknowledged it.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14151
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:04 pm

I guess it makes sense

User avatar
gwells
Posts: 6261
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am
Name: Greg
Location: NoVA

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by gwells » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:35 pm

BlueSky wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm
gwells wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:06 pm
TimelessLuxWatches wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm
Personally, I've had just made it hand wound to begin with and kept it thin that way.
this, totally. i love my junghans handwound. that thing is super slim, classic dress watch. my 1970 deville looks nice and slim, too, and that's a nearly 50 yr old auto.
You have a 1970 Deville? Coupe? Haven't thought about those in a while. Neat...
hah... um...

Image

User avatar
BlueSky
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:47 pm
Name: David

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by BlueSky » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:43 pm

gwells wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:35 pm
BlueSky wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm
gwells wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:06 pm
TimelessLuxWatches wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm
Personally, I've had just made it hand wound to begin with and kept it thin that way.
this, totally. i love my junghans handwound. that thing is super slim, classic dress watch. my 1970 deville looks nice and slim, too, and that's a nearly 50 yr old auto.
You have a 1970 Deville? Coupe? Haven't thought about those in a while. Neat...
hah... um...

Image
Live and learn. Thought that was kind of weird when I read it. Thinking there's nothing slim about a 1970 Deville.

:oops:

At least my bride got a kick out of it. Good Lord...

User avatar
gwells
Posts: 6261
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am
Name: Greg
Location: NoVA

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by gwells » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:58 am

oddly enough, my first car was a 1970 el dorado. nothing slim about that one, either.

User avatar
BlueSky
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:47 pm
Name: David

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by BlueSky » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:55 pm

gwells wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:58 am
oddly enough, my first car was a 1970 el dorado. nothing slim about that one, either.
Like driving a boat. Sorry for the faux pas.

User avatar
gwells
Posts: 6261
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am
Name: Greg
Location: NoVA

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by gwells » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:12 pm

no worries... and yes, a boat. but with just two doors. still, the back seat was the size of a twin bed. comes in handy as a Jr in HS. :)

User avatar
BlueSky
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:47 pm
Name: David

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by BlueSky » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:08 pm

gwells wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:12 pm
no worries... and yes, a boat. but with just two doors. still, the back seat was the size of a twin bed. comes in handy as a Jr in HS. :)
HA...What a great description... :grin: Each door weighed about a ton.

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8157
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by streetracer101 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:46 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:52 am
Supposedly there's a smaller ceramic case PO. Is that correct? I didn't see it.
There is

Image
Need to see it in person, but the proportions look terrible in the picture. It's like Omega forgot how to design a watch.
At $10k, I guess it would've cut into profit margin too much to dlc the crowns.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk


User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 14949
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:48 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:46 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:52 am
Supposedly there's a smaller ceramic case PO. Is that correct? I didn't see it.
There is

Image
Need to see it in person, but the proportions look terrible in the picture. It's like Omega forgot how to design a watch.
At $10k, I guess it would've cut into profit margin too much to dlc the crowns.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
“Why do the job right, when you can just cut corners?” Is omega’s motto.

User avatar
AntonioPD
Posts: 2926
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:49 am
Name: Tony
Location: Wheaton, Illinois

Re: Our Omega Photos from Baselworld 2018

Post by AntonioPD » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:41 pm

Love the 1948s. The SMP is cool too. The rest ... meh.
Resistance is the indicator of progress. - Clint Bruce USN (Retired)

Image

Omega PO 8500 45.5, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard A-05, Karlskrona Midnattssol Blue Date, G-Shock Solar Atomic and GA-100, Movado ESQ

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests