Post by sierra11b » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:01 pm

Sure did

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: x33 bracelet took a crap.

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:13 pm

sierra11b wrote:Sure did
So can you put the bracelet back together and find someone who can laser weld the titanium?

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:20 pm

It's that damn pin that's stuck inside the link.

I suppose If someone had the technology they could bore the link out on both ends all the way through, put in a pin and weld up the hole on each end. Wouldn't know who to turn to in that case.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:27 pm

sierra11b wrote:It's that damn pin that's stuck inside the link.

I suppose If someone had the technology they could bore the link out on both ends all the way through, put in a pin and weld up the hole on each end. Wouldn't know who to turn to in that case.
IWW?

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:27 pm

CGSshorty wrote:It works great on a NATO.
You're right but the bracelet was so fantastic.

I may eventually have to bite the bullet on a new bracelet. My only concern is with it being so rigid at these points if I tweak the that link being stupid, it'll eventually wear out and snap like a coat hanger like before, and I'll be out another $1500.

Anyone know the reference on the omega TI Deployant pictured below?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:55 pm

Now that I've given up on the idea of bracelet, at least for the time being, there's certainly meat on the bone from the old one as it was in great working order before the critical link failed.

My question is what do you think I could part it out for?

We're talking clasp and all links.

Americandave
Name: Dave

Post by Americandave » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:17 am

If you don't want to drop extra money on it I bet you could trade the head for a bracelet straight up

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:14 am

sierra11b wrote:It's that damn pin that's stuck inside the link.

Given the pro's won't give it a shot, how about one last ditch back yard mechanic attempt?

I would take the link with the stuck pin and boil it for a while. Using padded needle nose pliers, see if the heat loosened up the pin.

If it is still stuck, I would boil the link again, getting it again good and hot, then immediately put ice on the pin to attempt to cool the pin. Hopefully the thermal difference might be enough to separate the pin from the link.

Another option is to soak the pin / link combo in a jar of penetrating oil (such as Croil). Let it soak for a few days then attempt to separate them.

Drilling the pin out could work and I've drilled out my share of broken bolts before. The only way I would attempt it on that link would be using a drill press. You can purchase needle drill bits for a Dremel and probably a Dremel press stand if you don't have a friend already with the tools. If you decide to drill, it would be my last resort and I would go very slowly. I would suggest using a bit that is smaller in diameter than the pin and try to carefully center the bit on the pin. You can go up in bit size, but I've had luck with simply hollowing out bolts as it relieves the pressure on the threads.

Once you remove the stuck pins, how difficult will it be to source replacements?

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:44 pm

I'm going to act as Otto Frei for a bit. Perfect timing, too. All they offer currently are links for this bracelet and I've got 8 at 40% off.

No Rush and the thread might be one of those that's bumped for a year+ we always call out here, but in this case I've got the parts for cheaper than Omega ever could, including the critical factory-set 4 links from the other side of the bracelet that failed on me. Bracelet was in great shape aside from that pin failing.

Word will get out and they'll know who to PM when they need parts, or have a bit of disposable income to cache. :fro:

Worst case scenario I have parts to cache if I ever get around to eating $1500 for a new one. I don't want the X33 to anywhere right now.

In the meantime it's sitting comfortably on a Heuerville moonrock rally and looks great. :cheers: