This Speedmaster CK2998 kind of cool

Discussion of Omega watches.
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:05 am

Some one at another forum posted this watch so I guess it's for sale now. Kind of like it has that vintage look plus a hand wind movement that most modern chronographs don't have. Found this cool link about it.
http://www.omegawatches.com/watches/bas ... er-ck2998/

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Re: This Speedmaster CK2998 kind of cool

Post by aikiman44 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:44 am

That is quite nice.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:55 am

I like it except the ball on the second hand that to me looks very out of place.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:53 am

james80 wrote:I like it except the ball on the second hand that to me looks very out of place.
The lollipop is one of my favorite parts plus is pays homage to some of the originals which had it. I'm a total sucker for lollipop hands.

I tried getting in line for this one at a couple places and was given some line on availability. It's going be a hard one to get considering Omega wasn't too happy with how ADs conducted themselves on the Snoopy.

The days of going into an AD or Boutique to cash and carry an LE are over. Don't even thinking about asking your local boutique if you're not a first (or second time) buyer.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:47 pm

sierra11b wrote:
james80 wrote:I like it except the ball on the second hand that to me looks very out of place.
The lollipop is one of my favorite parts plus is pays homage to some of the originals which had it. I'm a total sucker for lollipop hands.

I tried getting in line for this one at a couple places and was given some line on availability. It's going be a hard one to get considering Omega wasn't too happy with how ADs conducted themselves on the Snoopy.

The days of going into an AD or Boutique to cash and carry an LE are over. Don't even thinking about asking your local boutique if you're not a first (or second time) buyer.
------------

Heard the same thing :cussing: when I went into the boutique--this place said they may get 1--all due to the "Snoopy" fiasco...Some AD's are taking deposits but others said that they aren't sure how many they will get if any.

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:57 pm

This is definitely poised to become another clusterfook like the Silver Snoopy, never mind that there are more than a thousand more of these being produced.

As much as I love my Snoop Dogg, I absolutely hate the precedent that it set for future Speedy LEs (i.e. long waiting lists, speculators speculatin', true collectors gettin' the shaft...).

Regards,
Adam

PS - As for the CK2998 itself, I've handled it several times in person, and was even offered one by the Fith Avenue Omega boutique, but it does absolutely nothing for me.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a handsome piece, but it's not my style.
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:52 pm

craniotes wrote:This is definitely poised to become another clusterfook like the Silver Snoopy, never mind that there are more than a thousand more of these being produced.

As much as I love my Snoop Dogg, I absolutely hate the precedent that it set for future Speedy LEs (i.e. long waiting lists, speculators speculatin', true collectors gettin' the shaft...).

Regards,
Adam

PS - As for the CK2998 itself, I've handled it several times in person, and was even offered one by the Fith Avenue Omega boutique, but it does absolutely nothing for me.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a handsome piece, but it's not my style.

Love both of those.

The lollipop hand takes it over the edge for me. Hot.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:15 pm

I know the Snoopy was/is hard to get and prices are inflated, but can someone school me on the actual fiasco?
- Todd

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Nice color. I like it.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:13 pm

jimyritz wrote:
sierra11b wrote:

------------

Heard the same thing :cussing: when I went into the boutique--this place said they may get 1--all due to the "Snoopy" fiasco...Some AD's are taking deposits but others said that they aren't sure how many they will get if any.
A boutique uncertain if they'll get any, huh? Puh-lease! :rolleyes: There's 2998 of these which means each boutique will get a few.

They must have a list of frequent buyers who routinely drop coin without a worry and you simply weren't one of them. :shrug: Either was I... The sad part is many of the stores are going to offer it to the guy who routinely buys like a trip to the candy store who may not even be a true collector.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:15 pm

craniotes wrote: PS - As for the CK2998 itself, I've handled it several times in person, and was even offered one by the Fith Avenue Omega boutique, but it does absolutely nothing for me.
Damn, Adam... You should have scooped it up anyway and paid it forward to keep it in the community. Made a few bucks in the process.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:36 pm

Chocodove wrote:I know the Snoopy was/is hard to get and prices are inflated, but can someone school me on the actual fiasco?
It was my understanding that Omega ADs and Boutiques sold the 1970ea Silver Snoopy's to whomever had a checkbook and a pulse. They sold out damn near instantly before a lot of people even knew the watch existed. The up side is that a majority of the watches are in the hands of collector WIS-types and the other in the hands of WIS-types looking to make a buck... So in essence a lot are still in watch flip limbo. They basically scooped them up so fast it drove the demand (and price) through the ceiling.

This had to piss-off some of the legitimate Boutique regulars who likely went above Boutique managers asking why they didn't get a chance... The dudes who appreciate the brand, drop a lot of coin at mall Boutiques, but don't live and breath on the forums like we do. So now Omega wants their Boutiques to select local "brand ambassadors" so-to-speak... This is okay in a sense, because some are legitimate collectors, but like I mention in my previous post, this will mean a lot of watches will get scooped up by deep pocket buyers with no real passion and the watch will eventually be forgotten in their sock drawer. Maybe that's what Omega and the Jacek's of the world want eventually... NOS examples being sold to them by their heirs?

It's a win-lose scenario either way but Omega's new approach with mean more sales in stores. Omega seems to legitimately want to pass on the watches to people with legitimate interest and solid AD buyer history, but I doubt it'll end up working out that way.
Last edited by sierra11b on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:44 pm

sierra11b wrote:
craniotes wrote: PS - As for the CK2998 itself, I've handled it several times in person, and was even offered one by the Fith Avenue Omega boutique, but it does absolutely nothing for me.
Damn, Adam... You should have scooped it up anyway and paid it forward to keep it in the community. Made a few bucks in the process.
I thought about that, but Omega is keeping track of the secondary market on these things. If I were to turn around and sell mine -- for retail or profit -- and they were to find out, it could jeopardize my professional relationship with them.

Just to give you an idea of how micro they are, they were following my "anti-Snoopy" posts, which I would put up on IG every "#speedytuesday" during my long, uncommunicative wait for for the watch. It actually became a topic of conversation during a marketing meeting. (I know this, because during a meeting with their president for North America, he told me so. :shock: )

I ain't messin' with these cats.

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:02 pm

craniotes wrote:
sierra11b wrote:
I thought about that, but Omega is keeping track of the secondary market on these things. If I were to turn around and sell mine -- for retail or profit -- and they were to find out, it could jeopardize my professional relationship with them.

Just to give you an idea of how micro they are, they were following my "anti-Snoopy" posts, which I would put up on IG every "#speedytuesday" during my long, uncommunicative wait for for the watch. It actually became a topic of conversation during a marketing meeting. (I know this, because during a meeting with their president for North America, he told me so. :shock: )

I ain't messin' with these cats.

Regards,
Adam
Makes sense.

I've read that early re-sale was a concern and stipulation for Omega when selling X33s at way below MSRP to squadron members. They ask you keep the watch for "X" amount of years before considering resale.

As big as this watch might be it might catch-up to you years from now when the watch is serviced and the new owner potentially questioned. Not good. I get it.

Good thing is we have PM and DWCers are so quick to flip you'd have an outright laundered watch within a year. :lol:

Dedalus
Professor J
Name: Jared

Post by Dedalus » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:28 pm

Great looking LE, but in the side-by-side posted by Adam, I gotta say, I too prefer the Snoopy.

Cabaiguan
Name: Raf

Post by Cabaiguan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Below are some pics of mine just picked up last week. First impressions are very good. I love the vintage style and size. Lollipop hand is awesome as is the ceramic bezel.
"A ship of war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:01 am

Congrats!

I'm jealous.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:50 am

That one looks pretty nice.

I happened by the Omega boutique late yesterday and noticed a couple cool Speedy's, but not that one.

The white dial, blued hands version of the '57 was killer. Titanium grade 5 and it felt like I was naked. $11k

The sapphire sandwich has a new screwed-link bracelet. I really liked this one, but would love an adjustable clasp.

Both seemed too small on me (in my eyes).

ImageImageImageImageImage

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:28 am

hoppyjr wrote:That one looks pretty nice.

I happened by the Omega boutique late yesterday and noticed a couple cool Speedy's, but not that one.

The white dial, blued hands version of the '57 was killer. Titanium grade 5 and it felt like I was naked. $11k

The sapphire sandwich has a new screwed-link bracelet. I really liked this one, but would love an adjustable clasp.

The white dial is lacquered too, it's a very cool watch. It would be hard to justify $11K, though.

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:10 am

Cabaiguan wrote:Below are some pics of mine just picked up last week. First impressions are very good. I love the vintage style and size. Lollipop hand is awesome as is the ceramic bezel.
==========

:headbang: very cool, congrats...

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:11 am

hoppyjr wrote:That one looks pretty nice.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Wish I had never sold this 57 Broad Arrow...

:cheers:
Mike

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:37 pm

I never even knew that white and blue 57s existed! On the plus side the '57 broadarrow seems to have come down in price. I'd still love to try one on someday.

Ed, did you try on any of the steel '57s for comparison? 16.17mm thick keeps turning me away.

And you keep going back to the 3570.50. :mrgreen: Why not split the difference and find yourself a nice 3576.50? :love:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sierra11b on Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:39 pm

^ I didn't try the steel, but the titanium was almost like not wearing a watch. It was beautiful, even with the plastic on it.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:51 pm

This is the best omega release, for me, since the PO2500 LMLE.

Cabaiguan
Name: Raf

Post by Cabaiguan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:42 pm

Some more shots.
"A ship of war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell