Warning: WUS type question

Discussion of Omega watches.
MDF
Name: Mark

Post by MDF » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:12 am

I have not tried either but would like to try the new Speedy moon watch (the classic new one) or the new Auqua Terra what would you go for?
Regards,

Mark

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Re: Warning: WUS type question

Post by Terpits » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:20 am

Always go for classic new.
:rimshot:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:45 am

Speedy
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:46 am

I love the AT but given the choice, it would be the Speedy Pro.
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:47 am

Haven't owned either, but speedy :-)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:55 am

Not a fan of either really but if I had to Id go with the Speedmaster. More versatile overall
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:00 am

I'd try the new Speedy kit with a nice box, tool and all the straps.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:33 am

I wasn't a fan of the AT I saw online but when I saw one in person it changed my mind - damn thing looks fantastic IRL
That being said, I would buy another speedy before the AT.
What it comes down to is do you want a chrono or 3 hander?

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:39 am

I've currently got both but if I had to choose one I'd go with the Speedy.

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:42 am

The speedy is certainly the better looking of the two in my opinion, however if I had to buy something for myself it would be an older model AT. Easier to use and to maintain. Also never use the chrono function so kind of useless for me.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:43 am

I'd probably still go Speedy, but I've been finding myself more attracted to simple three handers lately, so I'd definitely have to give it some thought. The Speedy is a classic, but the AT is a terrific looking watch.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club

Post by jswing » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:32 am

I've had both. The AT maybe gets a slight edge because of the in house movement, but I'd probably still go with the Speedy. If I got an AT, I'd get an earlier 8500, I don't like the new models without the raised date surround. Throws off the whole dial for me.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:42 am

Vintage Speedy....all day every day
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 am

Any Speedy Pro, new or old. Still in use by NASA and also by the Russians.
only accurate watches are interesting

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:56 am

demer03 wrote:Vintage Speedy....all day every day
What are the advantages of vintage speedy over a BNIB? Besides the price obviously, you can pick up a beat up Speedy for 2k.

I mean 1665, 5513 etc, they don't make those anymore so I get that part, but the speedy looks exactly the same. You can scuff it up yourself in 6 months and make it look vintage. Is it flaking and dusting tritium, charm of breaking all the time, flooding while washing hands? Just curious since I'm currently shopping for a Speedy.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:03 am

Betcha the issued ones aren't vintage.
only accurate watches are interesting

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:07 am

I've owned a couple AT's and found the blue one fantastic (in my all time top 5), but I'd still go Speedy.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:10 am

Panerai7 wrote:
What are the advantages of vintage speedy over a BNIB? Besides the price obviously, you can pick up a beat up Speedy for 2k.

I mean 1665, 5513 etc, they don't make those anymore so I get that part, but the speedy looks exactly the same. You can scuff it up yourself in 6 months and make it look vintage. Is it flaking and dusting tritium, charm of breaking all the time, flooding while washing hands? Just curious since I'm currently shopping for a Speedy.

I personally don't care enough for a pre moon speedy because of the hefty mark up. But I do prefer T dial to lume. That's pretty much the choice.
My markers are not flakey or dusty, and I love the "vintage" look of it more than I would a newer one with lume. And my model has the transparent case back, which you can still get today- but mine has the older gilt which I prefer over the rhodium plated. Simply preference.

-
-
-
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:12 am

Thank Ben, makes sense, so some things are different on and older models, the movement is gorgeous indeed :thumbsup:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:18 am

Panerai7 wrote:

Assuming you're not talking about pre-twisted lug case Speedy, it depends on whether you're talking 321 movement or 861/1861 movement. The 321 movement is a classic, column wheel chronograph movement that vintage collectors covet. The same basic movement was used in a host of well known brands, including Patek. The 861/1861 movement has a lever clutch rather than a column wheel, which made it cheaper to produce. There is most likely no difference in performance between the two, but the column wheel movement is considered more desirable by collectors, and it was more technically difficult to produce. I believe Omega switched over to the 861 (which later became the 1861) around 1968 or 1969. Even the "more common" Speedy's with the 321 movement are becoming very expensive.

In my personal view, assuming you are talking about an 861/1861, unless you want the vintage charm of aged tritium patina (which I'm not necessarily discounting), go for the newest luminova version you can afford. I will say that the modern Speedy Pro display case is pretty cool. Three separate straps, booklet on the space program, strap changing tool, and loupe. All in a really nice (and big) display case. OTOH, if you buy a modern version just a few years older, you'll pay a good bit less to get exactly the same watch without the bells and whistles.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:29 am

Really in-depth, thanks Jeff. Narrows down to what I'm looking for as well. Because watchrecon is a mess when it comes to Speedmasters

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:34 am

Speedy 100%

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:41 am

Panerai7 wrote:Really in-depth, thanks Jeff. Narrows down to what I'm looking for as well. Because watchrecon is a mess when it comes to Speedmasters
Happy to help. Here are a couple of websites that might be helpful. Speedmaster101 is particularly good for the vintage stuff. There are actually a lot of subtle changes amongst the earlier models.

http://speedmaster101.com/

http://www.speedywatches.com/

Here's an in-depth piece Hodinkee did on the Speedy Pro.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/under ... ofessional

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club

Post by jswing » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:43 am

Panerai7 wrote:Really in-depth, thanks Jeff. Narrows down to what I'm looking for as well. Because watchrecon is a mess when it comes to Speedmasters
Art, one thing to keep in mind is they're expensive to service. I normally prefer new or newish watches, but in this case I bought a 13 yo Speedy because I wanted a particular model that has a hesalite front/sapphire back. It needed a service right away, and it turns out I'll end up paying more for an older model than I would have for a new one. TBH, if I were going to buy a Speedy today, I'd just buy one brand new with the new kit.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:46 am

jswing wrote:
Art, one thing to keep in mind is they're expensive to service. I normally prefer new or newish watches, but in this case I bought a 13 yo Speedy because I wanted a particular model that has a hesalite front/sapphire back. It needed a service right away, and it turns out I'll end up paying more for an older model than I would have for a new one. TBH, if I were going to buy a Speedy today, I'd just buy one brand new with the new kit.
That's a good point. I'm not sure what an independent would charge, but the last I heard Omega charges something in the neighborhood of $700 to $800 to service the 1861 movement.