Best place for Speedy service?

Discussion of Omega watches.
jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:44 am

I typically buy newer watches, and don't keep them long enough to need service, so when it comes to getting something done I'm at a loss. I just got an older Speedy, not vintage but maybe 13 years old. It's losing a lot of time every day and had a poor polishing at some point. I want to get it running right and hopefully restore the factory finish. My first thought was Omega Service Center, but I think that'd cost a mint. I have heard that Nesbit's does a great job, and were previously an official service center before Omega did away with independents, so I contacted them for an idea of the cost and turnaround. I've heard ABC does good work, but don't know that they specialize in Omega? Is there anyone else I should be considering?

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Re: Best place for Speedy service?

Post by tmw » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:47 am

Nesbitts is where I would go. They will not be cheap though. Archer watches I have heard good things about.

I typically associate abc with Rolex, but others can chime in there (I have used them to do Rolex and Tudor).
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:48 am

tmw wrote:Nesbitts is where I would go. They will not be cheap though. Archer watches I have heard good things about.

I typically associate abc with Rolex, but others can chime in there (I have used them to do Rolex and Tudor).
I am sure ABC can easily handle it, but it won't be cheap. Archer might be more affordable, but any savings will likely get eaten up through the international mail process.

jswing

Post by jswing » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:06 am

streetracer101 wrote:
tmw wrote:Nesbitts is where I would go. They will not be cheap though. Archer watches I have heard good things about.

I am sure ABC can easily handle it, but it won't be cheap. Archer might be more affordable, but any savings will likely get eaten up through the international mail process.
Right, that's why I didn't include Archer. He actually did restore my dad's vintage Hamilton, but it too a very long time and I really don't like shipping outside the US.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:55 am

Good question

I would like to know the answer too :)
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:02 am

I have had a vintage sm300 serviced my Nesbitts. Again, probably the only place I would go for omega.

If it was under warranty we would be having an interesting debate.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:25 am

How much Todd?
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:31 am

I had Chronodeco do a minor repair to my 321 Speedy and it worked out well.
-David

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:01 am

great experience at nesbitt's here too.
they did a great job on my aqua 2500, cost was reasonable and turnaround was relatively quick. five weeks I think, after they estimated eight. this was for bezel replacement and full service.

jswing

Post by jswing » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:11 pm

Thanks for the responses. Nesbit's is $710 for a full service. 4-5 week turnaround. They have a great reputation and were very professional by email and phone, so I'm going that route.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:32 pm

glad I don't want a Speedy because those prices are whack

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:15 pm

700 hundred crazy .Here is some one I just used to service my Glycine Airman most watch makers can't fix the hacking after other watchmakers screwed it up. Well this guy did and when I was talking to him on the phone he did say he just got done working on a speedy. He never worked on a chronograph of mine yet. He does have my Benrus type II issued diver to fix the stem that broke on me.
http://www.nevadawatchrepair.com/servicemechanical.html
$275.00 for a chronograph sevice sounds much better

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:07 pm

It's all about watchmaker overhead. Paul in Sacramento works in a small shop located in an old stripmall and quoted me $400 for an omega three register last I spoke with him assuming nothing major needed replacing. Never had the need to do it but he has worked on two constellations for me and they work great. $250 a pop. Whenever I speak with him it's clear he has a hard-on for Omega and prides himself in working on them.

I wouldn't mind spending <$600 considering the 1861 and most of its variants have an abundance of parts. My 3570.50 won't get serviced until it absolutely is necessary for this reason... If I have to spend $700 for ten years of enjoyment then that's only $70 a year maintenance. I'm cool with that.

Nesbitts obviously has a reputation for impeccable Omega service and can charge accordingly. Peace of mind at $700 knowing it'll be done right is money well spent. I got a quote for $600 from ABC for my buddy's Apollo 15 35th anniversary.

I have to remind myself of the times I've made hasty purchases... I almost bought another Seiko turtle at $380 shipped in a drunken state but stopped myself. That's practically a service right there!

jswing

Post by jswing » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:27 pm

Keep in mind the $710 includes refinishing the case and bracelet, as well as complete movement overhaul. Mine had a poor polish in the past and I want the finish done correctly. The fact that Nesbit's used to be an Omega service means something, at least to me. I wanted it done right this time around, so I'd rather pay good money than risk a shitty result.

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:43 pm

jswing wrote:Keep in mind the $710 includes refinishing the case and bracelet, as well as complete movement overhaul. Mine had a poor polish in the past and I want the finish done correctly. The fact that Nesbit's used to be an Omega service means something, at least to me. I wanted it done right this time around, so I'd rather pay good money than risk a shitty result.
I wouldn't bat an eye at that price. I also agree with your logic.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:05 am

I'd either go Nesbit's or the Omega Service Center in Seattle. Mac Nesbit (son of Nesbit's, grandson of founder) is the head watchmaker at Omega Seattle, so both are viable options. I've had great luck with both. Nesbit's will likely run a little less.

Edit: after posting (I hadn't read entire thread) I see you made that choice. Good call.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:31 am

jswing wrote:Keep in mind the $710 includes refinishing the case and bracelet, as well as complete movement overhaul. Mine had a poor polish in the past and I want the finish done correctly. The fact that Nesbit's used to be an Omega service means something, at least to me. I wanted it done right this time around, so I'd rather pay good money than risk a shitty result.
========

^This... :thumbsup:

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:10 am

jswing wrote:Thanks for the responses. Nesbit's is $710 for a full service. 4-5 week turnaround. They have a great reputation and were very professional by email and phone, so I'm going that route.
Let me know how it goes, gotta send my Speedy to maintenance soon.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:50 am

$710 the price of a Rolex service from Rolex Omega no Rolex. There are people who do the service cheaper and then there are some who do just case refinish if you don't mind sending it to two different places and you could save a few hundred bucks. Did that with my Seiko 6105 had a local guy service it and replace the crystal. Then sent it to Jack for the lume and cleaning up the dial. I had a local guy when I lived in the bay area service my Speedy for under 300 bucks I did supply the mainspring I got at otto frei that Speedy was made in 1972 and still keeps great time. 400 extra for case refinish I don't know.

jswing

Post by jswing » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:50 am

River Rat wrote:$710 the price of a Rolex service from Rolex Omega no Rolex. There are people who do the service cheaper and then there are some who do just case refinish if you don't mind sending it to two different places and you could save a few hundred bucks. Did that with my Seiko 6105 had a local guy service it and replace the crystal. Then sent it to Jack for the lume and cleaning up the dial. I had a local guy when I lived in the bay area service my Speedy for under 300 bucks I did supply the mainspring I got at otto frei that Speedy was made in 1972 and still keeps great time. 400 extra for case refinish I don't know.
River Rat wrote:$710 the price of a Rolex service from Rolex
I doubt Rolex services a chrono for $710.

[/quote] Omega no Rolex.[/quote]

Not touching that one, other than I disagree. :lol:

[/quote] There are people who do the service cheaper and then there are some who do just case refinish if you don't mind sending it to two different places and you could save a few hundred bucks.[/quote]

Too much trouble, and it'd take forever. I only have 3 watches, I can't have one out for 5 years.

[/quote]did that with my Seiko 6105 had a local guy service it and replace the crystal. Then sent it to Jack for the lume and cleaning up the dial. [/quote]

This I can understand, because Jack is fast with the cosmetic stuff but service takes forever.

jswing

Post by jswing » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:56 am

^ Well, I certainly bungled that. Don't know how to "multi quote"..

blowfish89

Post by blowfish89 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:29 am

jswing wrote:^ Well, I certainly bungled that. Don't know how to "multi quote"..
I admire that you understood the feeling behind the post so quick. I had to read five times to understand 'Rolex Omega no Rolex'.

I think you chose well. Just try to keep this one for a while.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:35 am

blowfish89 wrote:
jswing wrote:^ Well, I certainly bungled that. Don't know how to "multi quote"..
I admire that you understood the feeling behind the post so quick. I had to read five times to understand 'Rolex Omega no Rolex'.

you should stop beeing a hator. Mike type's in this way so that we can understand his messages it is not poor gramer it is just speshule DWC code talker language

blowfish89

Post by blowfish89 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:38 am

yesh yesh okkay hoppyjr

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:46 am

blowfish89 wrote:

Yep, that first sentence is a mystery.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko