Omega AT Gauss ?

Discussion of Omega watches.
Sniper13
Name: Justin

Omega AT Gauss ?

Post by Sniper13 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:48 am

In your opinions is the 15000 Gauss to sporty for a dress watch? I kinda like it but I haven't seen one in person.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Omega AT Gauss ?

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:54 am

It depends what you mean by "dress watch". By traditional standards, an AT or DJ is absolutely too sporty. However, plenty of people use them as dress watches and the world still functions.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:57 am

JP Chestnut wrote:It depends what you mean by "dress watch". By traditional standards, an AT or DJ is absolutely too sporty. However, plenty of people use them as dress watches and the world still functions.
Truth. I think it is a more casual watch. Dress watches don't have construction yellow hash mark seconds hands

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:58 am

If this is the one with the yellow seconds hand, I think it is too sporty as a dress watch. But I have seen people wearing G-Shocks in dress occasions... so it is really up to you. The regular one is probably a better choice though. Actually I don't like the "waspy" seconds hand.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:58 am

streetracer101 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:It depends what you mean by "dress watch". By traditional standards, an AT or DJ is absolutely too sporty. However, plenty of people use them as dress watches and the world still functions.
Truth. I think it is a more casual watch. Dress watches don't have construction yellow hash mark seconds hands
I refrained from giving my opinion on that particular AT - I'd never pay money for one.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:59 am

I really hate the seconds hand, even for a sports watch:

I would prefer these models for a "dress" watch:

Amd maybe even the Golf model:

Last edited by Joeprez on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:01 am

Joeprez wrote:I really hate the seconds hand:

Just Omega trying (poorly) to Rolex.

On edit: Look at the end link gap. Omega's Chinese bracelet factory needs to get it together.
Last edited by JP Chestnut on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:33 am

One of the few Omega's I don't really care for, but I see more and more people wearing cool sports watches with suits..

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:44 am

I wear a suit four days a week, and I wear some form of Sub/SD with it (and I've worn a Datejust, a Speedmaster, a Daytona, and an Explorer with my suits - all of those are technically sports watches). Other than the subset of incredibly anal retentive guys you sometimes find on the various style fora, no one's going to care. Technically, even a JLC Reverso is a sports watch, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would refer to it as such. Until I have the funds to buy a Calatrava, I don't see a traditional dress watch in my future.

I don't particularly like that Omega model, but the standard AT would look great with a suit - so would a SMP or PO, for that matter.

Sniper13

Post by Sniper13 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:51 pm

I have to agree that It's not the most attractive. I do like the technology they have in it. That's what I'm more interested in. I'm wondering if after the new 300 is released they will make it in more watches. I guess that's what I'm hoping for at least. I really like the AT.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:04 pm

I've read somewhere that its expected that Omega will push the master co-axial movement to a lot of watches.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Danny_T
The T is for Tacky
Name: Danny

Post by Danny_T » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Joeprez wrote:I really hate the seconds hand, even for a sports watch:

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:05 pm

I thought all the new AT's were Master Coaxial with 15000 Gauss resistance. The polished center links on the new AT's make it lean more toward the dressy side imo.

Sniper13

Post by Sniper13 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:28 am

smalls wrote:I thought all the new AT's were Master Coaxial with 15000 Gauss resistance. The polished center links on the new AT's make it lean more toward the dressy side imo.

Maybe I missed it. I'll look into that. That would be cool.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:35 am

Sniper13 wrote:
smalls wrote:I thought all the new AT's were Master Coaxial with 15000 Gauss resistance. The polished center links on the new AT's make it lean more toward the dressy side imo.

Maybe I missed it. I'll look into that. That would be cool.
I'm not sure if it has happened yet, but it's definitely the plan. The Master movement in place of the standard one across the line. With that said, I've never once had a magnetized watch - it seems like a solution in search of a problem.

smalls

Post by smalls » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:07 am

I tried on a blue and a black/green variant at an ad a month or so ago and that's what he told me. They don't have the gauss on the dial but instead just say master co-axial with polished center links.

smalls

Post by smalls » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:22 am

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:35 am

I don't know why they lost the border around the date, but I liked it better before. Even so, that little gold one on the strap is hot hot hot!
love.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:12 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:I don't know why they lost the border around the date, but I liked it better before.
A definite "what were they thinking?" move by Omega.

gnome666

Post by gnome666 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:58 pm

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I love mine. On the bracelet it can be dressy, and the yellow second hand is really not as loud as you would think based on the up close pictures. On leather, it's definitely sporty, which is just fine. Image
Using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:01 pm

^^^ I can definitely buy that it's more subtle on the wrist. I'm glad you like yours.

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:57 pm

I've tried in the 18k gold version of the AT at an AD recently. Had me thinking either selling a kidney, or making a run for it! Great looking watch, the Gauss version seems like that second hand would get tiring.

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:16 pm

gnome666 wrote:I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I love mine. On the bracelet it can be dressy, and the yellow second hand is really not as loud as you would think based on the up close pictures. On leather, it's definitely sporty, which is just fine. Image
I think that if the hand was all yellow it would probably look better, to me at least. Or even better if it was chrome with the yellow tip...

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:07 pm

carlodwc wrote:
gnome666 wrote:I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I love mine. On the bracelet it can be dressy, and the yellow second hand is really not as loud as you would think based on the up close pictures. On leather, it's definitely sporty, which is just fine. Image
I think that if the hand was all yellow it would probably look better, to me at least. Or even better if it was chrome with the yellow tip...
The yellow tip would have been nice, but to subtle I guess.

Sniper13

Post by Sniper13 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:16 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
carlodwc wrote:
The yellow tip would have been nice, but to subtle I guess.

True. That would have been a good alternative.