Buying used SMP Question

Discussion of Omega watches.
KevH
Name: Kevin

Buying used SMP Question

Post by KevH » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:29 pm

I have wanted to purchase a 2254.50 since first seeing one around 2002, but could never financially justify it. I've been wearing a Seiko 6309 for years, but want to buy an SMP now. I know the 2254.50 hasn't been made since 2008.

So my questions are:

- Are there still any new-old-stock or unworn 2254.50's floating around?
- Would I be better off buying a slightly beat-up/worn 2254.50 and sending it to Omega for a full service or buying a used one from a shop that appears fairly pristine?
- Would Omega install a micro-adjustable claps on an older model if requested?

Thanks, and sorry if I sound dumb for a first post!

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Buying used SMP Question

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:37 pm

Search ebay, chrono24, and watch recon. I've seen NOS 2254's in the past. They're expensive. I have no idea what is better for you.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:44 pm

T. Wong had a SMP chrono... cheap! :lol:

You can buy the adjustable clasp from an Omega AD, with the other necessary parts. Guess they could install it, but it's fairly easy to do (did it for my PO).

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Even if it is supposedly NOS, it has been sitting around for 10 years and needs a service. Unless a seller has proof of a recent service, via paperwork, assume it will need a service. The good news is that the 1120 movement is relatively easy to service and any reputable shop can do it. You don’t need to use an Omega shop like with Coaxial movements.

There are a couple of well known, reputable eBay sellers that deal in used Speedies and Seamasters if you do some research.

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:04 pm

If you do a search on Watchrecon for exelonman, a member of several forums, you'll see what he currently has for sale. He sells a variety of pre-owned watches, but Omega SMPs are one of his strong areas. He has a good reputation and his prices are fair. Some of the watches he sells are serviced by a local watchmaker (not Omega authorized). I bought a 2255.80 from him several years ago, which I still own. I've seen some outstanding deals from him, so patience is a virtue.
No, it's not Tourettes.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:51 pm

There are plenty of decent guys selling them on the forum.

I’ve bought a few in the last few years. I’ve paid maybe $1400-1800 depending on what it comes with.

You need to get the “speedy style” bracelet that they originally came with. Great fit and looks wonderful.
Send it to Omega or any watchmaker that knows what he is doing. It’ll be worth it to not worry about WR or crown or time keeping issues that are normal for any auto diving watch.

I miss mine.

-
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

5661nicholas
Name: nick

Post by 5661nicholas » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:26 pm

My 2230 is my favorite watch I have owned. The following are just my opinions, but as someone whose owned quite a few watches in the under 2k category, here is what I have found.

Aestheically it's extremely versatile, the cliche "beach to boardroom" I feel applies. Due to it's fairly conservative height, diameter, and L2L, it looks very at home on my just under 7" wrist, and is extremely comfortable to wear. I also have a 2254 bezel insert I swap out when I tire of the white gold, and vice versa. It looks great on any shoes you throw on it, rubber, leather, nato, and the Speedy style bracelet is silky smooth on the wrist. Clasp is a scratch magnet, but there's Scotch Brite for that.

The dial is very well executed, the waves appear and disappear depending on lighting conditions, and is very unique. The attention to detail in the applied indices, and length of hands is spot on. I feel the red tipped seconds hand contributes a nice splash of color. I feel if the left off the text "professional Chrinometer" it would be even better, but really nit picking. Lume is fire, and I enjoy that all numerals are represented by it sans number font, unlike the PO 2201 I had.

Bezel action is great, no play....grip on the other hand, is one of the weak features. As a desk diver, that is not high on my priority list, but it can be a PITA to rotate at times due to it's scalloped design.

My warranty card is from 2003, had a service performed in 2011, and the Cal. 1130 runs strong at +2spd with no positional variance that I notice. It's easily serviceable for a few hundred from a component watchmaker, and just performs.

Nice used examples go anywhere from $1500 on up to $2500, Exelonman is a great source as noted earlier in the thread. Keep us posted, and a few pics....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KevH
Name: Kevin

Post by KevH » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Thank you guys. I'm going to keep my eye out.