mini review of the SINN U2 ...

Discussion of Sinn watches.
DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

mini review of the SINN U2 ...

Post by DMB » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Well, it's been a couple of weeks so I thought it might be time for a little review. This isn't gonna be one of those reviews where all they do is regurgitate factory specs, etc, etc. Hell, if you guys want to know about that stuff, go find it on line. This is a review of how a U2 performs after two weeks on this cop's wrist.

First of all, I have never timed this watch. I figure that it is pretty close as I hacked it with my Rolex GMT the other day. The GMT is about 2 seconds fast a day, and this one is about 5 seconds behind the Rollie after 2 days.

As you may or may not know, the 44mm Sinn U2 is one heavy ass MOFO. Add the OEM bracelet and it's like a damn German anvil, ESPECIALLY ... after wearing 40 mm Rolexes for tha last 6 months. Fortunately, my good friend Rick sent me a Sinn rubber strap which is IMO ... DA BOMB diggity. Damn this strap is comfy and really holds this watch in place, while at the same time being a somewhat looser fit than what you would think a rubber strap needed. Think "bangle" [thanks DSHAP for that analogy].

Anyhow, I don't see this watch going back on the bracelet (as nice as the bracelet is) for any extended period of time. The rubber is just that good.

Like I said, I have worn this watch daily since I got it. First on the bracelet, then a NATO, and finally a MARATAC rubber strap with clasp thast Adam sent with the watch. (BTW, the MARATAC is pretty comfy as well, but you can't beat the curved ends of the SINN rubber.)

OK, so I get the SINN strap and immediately decide this is going to be my primary work watch. I have since worn it to two SWAT training days and managed to knock it several times during breaching/entries in the shoot house. Today, I wore it for training which started in a 3 mile run. It rode perfectly on my wrist and didn't flop around like I thought it might. I had a GShock Mudman on standby in the gear bag, but decided to wear the U2. The case has no marks whatsoever and like I said, I've knocked it a few times. The clasp on the strap had a few swirlies whe I got it, but the cool thing about the finish is they only show up at an angle. When you look at the clasp straight on, it's pristine looking.

The AR coating is IMO a lot nicer than that soft blue coating that was on my PO. It has no marks that I can see, and doesn't give off that bluish hue like the PO.

The lume is C1, so it isn't nuclear but is damn efficient. We had training last week at night, with NVGs (night vision goggles) and it was very legible all night long to the naked eye. In the day time, the C1 lume is so white that (along with the cool hands) it is instantly recognizable.

The bezel is my first 60 clicker, but it is tight and lines up perfectly. I normally don't use an analog watch when I time my runs, but this one was very easy to read with the minute marks on the bezel.

All in all I think this might just be the perfect tool watch, with it's 2000m W/R, easy to read features, tegimented/submarine steel, killer rubber strap, and GMT hand. If I was still in the Army, this would definitely be my choice out of all the watches I've owned.

It doesn't dress up like a Rolex diver, and it will never replace my Rolexes ... but it damn sure leads the pack in the work watch category. More later ...........

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Re: mini review of the SINN U2 ...

Post by dshap » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:31 pm

Nice review :thumbsup:

It sounds like the perfect watch for your line of work.

:cheers:
-David

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:31 pm

DMB wrote: All in all I think this might just be the perfect tool watch, with it's 2000m W/R, easy to read features, tegimented/submarine steel, killer rubber strap, and GMT hand. If I was still in the Army, this would definitely be my choice out of all the watches I've owned.

It doesn't dress up like a Rolex diver, and it will never replace my Rolexes ... but it damn sure leads the pack in the work watch category. More later ...........
Those sentences, especially what I highlighted, pretty much sum it up well David. That's saying a lot, too. Nice to have a review of tool watch put through its paces. Good stuff, man. :thumbsup:

Hell, and here I thought I had my next watch all lined up. Wait, nevermind. I'm still all over the place with no bones in the wallet. What the hell am I talking about! :lol:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:39 pm

BSears wrote: Hell, and here I thought I had my next watch all lined up. Wait, nevermind. I'm still all over the place with no bones in the wallet. What the hell am I talking about! :lol:
:1: :crybaby:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:44 pm

Great watch! How does the UTC hand work? Is there a quick set for the hour hand (while the UTC hand maintains home time)?
Chris

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm

Nice review, but where's the beef?
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:56 pm

Nice review David..

How big is the case???? Just kidding.... :grin:

Seems like the perfect addition.....

:cheers:
Mike

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:02 pm

vbuskirk wrote:Great watch! How does the UTC hand work? Is there a quick set for the hour hand (while the UTC hand maintains home time)?
+1 - I meant to ask this, too.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:02 pm

Nice review and I have to agree about the Sinn rubber. :cheers:

Just put my U1 on it for the first time a couple of nights ago.

I followed the suggestions here, cut it a bit loose and the watch does not slip around the wrist
and the strap feels great.

It will be a while before it returns to the bracelet.

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:08 pm

vbuskirk wrote:Great watch! How does the UTC hand work? Is there a quick set for the hour hand (while the UTC hand maintains home time)?

The GMT hand works like most ETA driven GMTs. The GMT hand can be quickset. Position one (turn crown forward) advances the GMT hand in one hour increments. Turning the crown backwards moves the quickset date. Position two of the corwn moves all hands in unison and stops the second hand for hacking purposes.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Cool...good to know...
Last edited by jimyritz on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:16 pm

DMB wrote:

The GMT hand works like most ETA driven GMTs. The GMT hand can be quickset. Position one (turn crown forward) advances the GMT hand in one hour increments. Turning the crown backwards moves the quickset date. Position two of the corwn moves all hands in unison and stops the second hand for hacking purposes.
Sweet. The last (and only GMT) i had, the Trimix, the GMT hand was tied to what would have been the date function. So turning it meant you had to get it just right or it'd be off, i.e., it didn't move in exact increments. I figured Sinn would have it done the "right" way. Awesome. :bananastoner:

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:37 pm

Good to see the U2 is up to the task at hand, and can take some real world knocks. :cheers:

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:23 pm

Good real world review. No surprise though. :ugeek:

Glad the size is not an issue for you David, and look forward to your next installment. :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:18 am

:worthless:
Pasquale

NSC

el presidente
Name: Roar

Post by el presidente » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:47 am

dukerules wrote:Good to see the U2 is up to the task at hand, and can take some real world knocks. :cheers:
Batting cage :headbang:
Pikachu is a virgin!

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:39 am

Great review and the pics rock! :think: :banplz:

TLgdeL
Name: Gee Deez

Post by TLgdeL » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 am

el presidente wrote:
dukerules wrote:Good to see the U2 is up to the task at hand, and can take some real world knocks. :cheers:
Batting cage :headbang:
Yup yup :1:

:grin:
Image Image