Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Discussion of Sinn watches.
Post Reply
User avatar
logan2z
IT Admin
Posts: 9654
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 am
Name: Andrew
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by logan2z » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:13 am

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/sinn- ... ntroducing

Complete with endless, silly discussion about fauxtina by Hodinkee readers :rolleyes:

User avatar
aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Posts: 7192
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 am
Name: Dr Jay
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by aikiman44 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:25 am

I love that one, and agree about the endless, pain inducing fauxtina discussion.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

User avatar
jimyritz
Masshole
Posts: 22355
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am
Name: Mike
Location: Boston

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by jimyritz » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:41 am

Nice job by Sinn on this one...

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30601
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:50 am

I was really unsure what the reaction would be to this one. The fauxtina complaints were inevitable. I thought there might be some complaints about the blue bezel.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 14985
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:05 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:50 am
I was really unsure what the reaction would be to this one. The fauxtina complaints were inevitable. I thought there might be some complaints about the blue bezel.
It looks like it should be on an ugly LE Seiko. :thumbsup:

They should have done a proper insert.

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30601
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:06 am

There it is.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14466
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:19 am

Always liked 103 but fully anodized aluminum bezel in other than black is not for me

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 14985
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:27 am

Image

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 14985
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 am

I actually find this watch to be pretty attractive despite the lume and the insert.

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 23933
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by BBK357 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 am

I love this watch but at nearly 3k i won’t even consider it.
I’ll save up a few hundred more and go for the BB58
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14466
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:46 am

BBK357 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 am
I love this watch but at nearly 3k i won’t even consider it.
I’ll save up a few hundred more and go for the BB58
That's the thing for me as well, Tudor killed a lot of competition including some Sinn models

User avatar
logan2z
IT Admin
Posts: 9654
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 am
Name: Andrew
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by logan2z » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:57 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:46 am
BBK357 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 am
I love this watch but at nearly 3k i won’t even consider it.
I’ll save up a few hundred more and go for the BB58
That's the thing for me as well, Tudor killed a lot of competition including some Sinn models
Sinn pricing had a hand in that too. The 103 has little of the Sinn tech and and an off-the-shelf movement which makes it a little hard to justify the asking price.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14466
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:22 am

logan2z wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:57 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:46 am
BBK357 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 am
I love this watch but at nearly 3k i won’t even consider it.
I’ll save up a few hundred more and go for the BB58
That's the thing for me as well, Tudor killed a lot of competition including some Sinn models
Sinn pricing had a hand in that too. The 103 has little of the Sinn tech and and an off-the-shelf movement which makes it a little hard to justify the asking price.
Agreed. For me personally Sinn plays well in under 2K range in Euros.

User avatar
Koizumi
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:57 am
Name: Koizumi

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by Koizumi » Tue May 15, 2018 10:27 am

I do like the tone of the blue. Pricing these days for Sinn is getting up there. Perhaps the upward trend in pricing is Sinn’s plan to move up to the next tier in the watch world. Regardless, I’ve always dug their watches. The 156 still holds a special place in my collection (next to its brother, the Heuer 1550SG).

caesarmascetti
Posts: 1189
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by caesarmascetti » Tue May 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Guinand is filling that price point SInn used to be in IMO

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41100
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by toxicavenger » Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 pm

caesarmascetti wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:05 pm
Guinand is filling that price point SInn used to be in IMO
It does seem to be going that way,

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13829
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by dukerules » Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm not sure why this one is so much more expensive than the regular 103 (which is cheapest, and most awesome, in acrylic). I gravitate towards the low-tech Sinns...which is why I've owned two U1s, two 103s, a 156, and an EZM1.

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30601
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by CGSshorty » Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 pm

dukerules wrote:I'm not sure why this one is so much more expensive than the regular 103 (which is cheapest, and most awesome, in acrylic). I gravitate towards the low-tech Sinns...which is why I've owned two U1s, two 103s, a 156, and an EZM1.
Apparently the crystal accounts for much of the cost. I would have used the acrylic crystal to keep costs down.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 23933
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by BBK357 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:46 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
dukerules wrote:I'm not sure why this one is so much more expensive than the regular 103 (which is cheapest, and most awesome, in acrylic). I gravitate towards the low-tech Sinns...which is why I've owned two U1s, two 103s, a 156, and an EZM1.
Apparently the crystal accounts for much of the cost. I would have used the acrylic crystal to keep costs down.

I know that’s what they are saying... but I truly have a hard time believing it. If this color option was available on the regular 103 St... the one that retails for $1740 on strap, they would sell a stupid amount of them. The fact they are saying the crystal being the same shape but sapphire accounts for $1000 increase per watch is total BS.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1130
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by bedlam » Tue May 15, 2018 8:02 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 am
I love this watch but at nearly 3k i won’t even consider it.
I’ll save up a few hundred more and go for the BB58
BB58? Surprised. IMO the BB58 is a hot mess with that aluminium collar.

Tudor are replacing them free once they get pitted and telling owners not the get salt water on them unless they are rinsed well afterwards.

(http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?p ... ost4758315)

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8161
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by streetracer101 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:24 pm

bedlam wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:02 pm
BBK357 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 am
I love this watch but at nearly 3k i won’t even consider it.
I’ll save up a few hundred more and go for the BB58
BB58? Surprised. IMO the BB58 is a hot mess with that aluminium collar.

Tudor are replacing them free once they get pitted and telling owners not the get salt water on them unless they are rinsed well afterwards.

(http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?p ... ost4758315)
I don't think the '58 has the stupid collar.

User avatar
Koizumi
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:57 am
Name: Koizumi

Re: Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by Koizumi » Wed May 16, 2018 2:44 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
dukerules wrote:I'm not sure why this one is so much more expensive than the regular 103 (which is cheapest, and most awesome, in acrylic). I gravitate towards the low-tech Sinns...which is why I've owned two U1s, two 103s, a 156, and an EZM1.
Apparently the crystal accounts for much of the cost. I would have used the acrylic crystal to keep costs down.

I’ve heard this as well but I cannot believe it in the end. It’s frankly inexpensive (in relative terms) to have a custom sapphire crystal made.

There’s fierce competition in the general Sinn price-range. Perhaps asking for more suggests that the watch is superior to its equally-priced peers.

Wish they’d offer more acrylic crystal options with their models. I know, acrylic isn’t as practical and as a neat looking to some as a sapphire dome with AR coating, but it would set Sinn apart from the rest of the gang.


User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 30463
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Brief Sinn 103 Sa B E Review by Jason Heaton

Post by hoppyjr » Wed May 16, 2018 11:14 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
bedlam wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:02 pm
BBK357 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 am
I love this watch but at nearly 3k i won’t even consider it.
I’ll save up a few hundred more and go for the BB58
BB58? Surprised. IMO the BB58 is a hot mess with that aluminium collar.

Tudor are replacing them free once they get pitted and telling owners not the get salt water on them unless they are rinsed well afterwards.

(http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?p ... ost4758315)
I don't think the '58 has the stupid collar.
I believe it does, just in silver color.

It’s a poor design. They should have used Rolex crowns like the old days, but without the coronet.

ImageImage


Back to the blue Sinn; even if it does cost $1k for the crystal it’s not worth the up-charge IMO. I’m sure it will still sell, as different styles appeal to different buyers.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests