Introducing the Sinn EZM 1.1 Limited Edition

Discussion of Sinn watches.
JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Introducing the Sinn EZM 1.1 Limited Edition

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:37 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:16 pm
Way too much moola. But then again I'm not in the baller crowd...
That's the problem with a watch like this, and why limiting it to 500 units makes sense. It's a non-baller watch at near-baller prices. Not so many guys who are going to bite at that proposition.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:43 pm

At $4900 and 16.5mm thick, I'm out.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:02 pm

it's all relative - yes, this is a lot for a Sinn but so is $3900-ish for the new re-edition Seiko (at 2000 pieces)
not hating on the Seiko, rather just rationalizing the price thing in my head.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:08 pm

rockmastermike wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:02 pm
it's all relative - yes, this is a lot for a Sinn but so is $3900-ish for the new re-edition Seiko (at 2000 pieces)
I went through the same thought process :)
:htfu:

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:12 pm

For me it always comes down to this - can I buy a mint/unpolished/complete Rolex for that money? If so, it better be an amazing watch. The seiko at msrp wasn't rolex money. This one on bracelet is.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:14 pm

rockmastermike wrote:it's all relative - yes, this is a lot for a Sinn but so is $3900-ish for the new re-edition Seiko (at 2000 pieces)
Watch prices in general keep breaching new levels of craziness, but as long as consumers keep buying, the manufacturers will keep poking around looking for the ceiling.
A bracelet for this watch would probably cost Sinn less than $100 per unit, but the perceived value would be increased 4 fold. Unfortunately they know that this will sell out at just about any price, so there's no incentive to include it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:23 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:12 pm
For me it always comes down to this - can I buy a mint/unpolished/complete Rolex for that money? If so, it better be an amazing watch. The seiko at msrp wasn't rolex money. This one on bracelet is.
That's actually more of the exact thought process I followed. I just bought a Rolex Explorer for more money (3-hand, no date, no bezel).

That said, it's a Rolex.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:44 pm

rockmastermike wrote:Is it wrong to keep going back to WB and hoping they've sold out ?!?
They've been sold out. It changed from "add to cart" to "reserve" after about 10-15 min.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:44 pm

streetracer101 wrote:They completely missed their mark. Upsized ss case, inferior movement and absurd price. I don't think this will have any impact on current EZM1 prices.

I had some of the same thoughts at first. Then I realized

1- upsized case from 40 to 43 may benefit this watch. The original ezm1 is of course a classic, but the dial is on the smaller side, and I am not sure of the actual dial measurements but my acrylic 103 seemed to have a bigger, more visible dial. So that's to be determined for myself. I thought the U1P, or any U1 would be huge on me, but I love the look on my 7.5 wrist and I think it fits quite well.

2- SS vs Ti. This is my biggest concern. I would have loved this more if it was tegmented Ti like the EZM 10. I love that watch and wish I still had it. The only upside to this new EZM1.1 is that it is tegmented. I love the grey metal look of the U1P and it has held up very well. I'm not particularly easy on most of my watches. The original Ti EZM1 was very easy to mark up.

3- inferior movement. I totally disagree on this. The Lemania 5100 was a classic and one of the best functional chronograph movements. But pop the caseback and it's not pretty. Plastic parts are used, and if you try to get one serviced local, good luck. I called around to 5 places last time I tried to get one worked on, nobody would touch it. Not even an old Swiss watchmaker that is local to me, I thought he would at least try.
The Lemania is known to be robust and a workhorse, but most that I had, and I've had a lot, had issues that required service. That may not be saying much since most were older and no service history.
The SZ01 is a fantastic movement that uses an ETA to get the function of the L5100. I'll take it. I had it in my EZM 10 and I had zero problems with it.

4- price. Yep it's high. No argument there. If that price included a bracelet I would be happy with the price for that package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE

foodle

Post by foodle » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:47 pm

SS?
43mm?
Reservation deposit is the same as I paid for my entire 3H EZM1?

... was tempted at first blush, but I'm a no on this one.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:49 pm

foodle wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:47 pm
SS?
43mm?
Reservation deposit is the same as I paid for my entire 3H EZM1?

... was tempted at first blush, but I'm a no on this one.
:lol:

Oof. Jealous.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Introducing the Sinn EZM 1.1 Limited Edition

Post by BBK357 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:58 pm

BBK357 wrote:
rockmastermike wrote:Is it wrong to keep going back to WB and hoping they've sold out ?!?
They've been sold out. It changed from "add to cart" to "reserve" after about 10-15 min.

Update- I was very wrong on this.

They are still taking reservations for future watches. I just talked to Rob at WB and he said they will take reservations until they cannot, but they are not sure when the watch will be delivered. The first few who ordered will have them very soon, but as people pay for the reservation now, it's getting pushed back months away when Sinn can fulfill. He said it will never be in stock because it takes so long to make the movement. He also said they had high expectations and it has sold way beyond what they thought.

Sinn has to decide how many go to which distributor, and WB being the biggest should get the most. He said all that are paying today will get a watch but he doesn't know when they will be ready.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:01 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:44 pm

1- upsized case from 40 to 43 may benefit this watch. The original ezm1 is of course a classic, but the dial is on the smaller side, and I am not sure of the actual dial measurements but my acrylic 103 seemed to have a bigger, more visible dial. So that's to be determined for myself. I thought the U1P, or any U1 would be huge on me, but I love the look on my 7.5 wrist and I think it fits quite well.

2- SS vs Ti. This is my biggest concern. I would have loved this more if it was tegmented Ti like the EZM 10. I love that watch and wish I still had it. The only upside to this new EZM1.1 is that it is tegmented. I love the grey metal look of the U1P and it has held up very well. I'm not particularly easy on most of my watches. The original Ti EZM1 was very easy to mark up.

3- inferior movement. I totally disagree on this. The Lemania 5100 was a classic and one of the best functional chronograph movements. But pop the caseback and it's not pretty. Plastic parts are used, and if you try to get one serviced local, good luck. I called around to 5 places last time I tried to get one worked on, nobody would touch it. Not even an old Swiss watchmaker that is local to me, I thought he would at least try.
The Lemania is known to be robust and a workhorse, but most that I had, and I've had a lot, had issues that required service. That may not be saying much since most were older and no service history.
The SZ01 is a fantastic movement that uses an ETA to get the function of the L5100. I'll take it. I had it in my EZM 10 and I had zero problems with it.

Ben....your first three points hit it on the head much better than I said earlier. Size, material, movement to me are all upgrades.

As to rolex money, a rolex with this functionality would be absurd pricing - my guess is daytona / yacht master range. This is a chronograph, but a drastically different design - and of all chronos I had, actually one that is used more often than not.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:02 pm

BBK357 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:They completely missed their mark. Upsized ss case, inferior movement and absurd price. I don't think this will have any impact on current EZM1 prices.

4- price. Yep it's high. No argument there. If that price included a bracelet I would be happy with the price for that package.

I think the old model wore great. I understand the argument that it felt light, but that's what I liked about it. The newer version is bigger, heavier and probably made of a cheaper material to manufacture. IDK about the movement - seems 7750 is just less sexy than 5100 for me. It would've been cooler if they sourced NOS movements and re-built them with modern parts, but it probably would've proven to be a nightmare.

tmw

Post by tmw » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:03 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:58 pm
BBK357 wrote:

They are still taking reservations for future watches. I just talked to Rob at WB and he said they will take reservations until they cannot, but they are not sure when the watch will be delivered. The first few who ordered will have them very soon, but as people pay for the reservation now, it's getting pushed back months away when Sinn can fulfill. He said it will never be in stock because it takes so long to make the movement. He also said they had high expectations and it has sold way beyond what they thought.

Sinn has to decide how many go to which distributor, and WB being the biggest should get the most. He said all that are paying today will get a watch but he doesn't know when they will be ready.
Man, i hope i am in an early batch.....I ordered in the first 5 minutes.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”

Floating down canal
It always just says now

- Jimmy Buffett

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:03 pm

Let's keep in mind the EZM1 is almost half the weight of the 1.1.

For a nato wearer like me the 1 would be a better choice. For strap or bracelet guys the 1.1 looks excellent.

tmw

Post by tmw » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:06 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:02 pm
BBK357 wrote:

I think the old model wore great. I understand the argument that it felt light, but that's what I liked about it. The newer version is bigger, heavier and probably made of a cheaper material to manufacture. IDK about the movement - seems 7750 is just less sexy than 5100 for me. It would've been cooler if they sourced NOS movements and re-built them with modern parts, but it probably would've proven to be a nightmare.
The original LE of 250 used NOS lemania movements, and many had troubles with reseting and crowns. The lemania movement is known to be robust, but the plastic parts and difficulty of repairing makes the ezm1 a pain. I have had 9 plus of these things, and is one of my favorite watches of all time. But the movement service issues make this a no-go for me. And trusting to RGM would not be a good thing.

I would take tegmented SS over ti any day.
-- Eric Cartman

Floating down canal
It always just says now

- Jimmy Buffett

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:08 pm

tmw wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:58 pm
BBK357 wrote:

Man, i hope i am in an early batch.....I ordered in the first 5 minutes.
There were only 5 available. After that it switched to "reserve".
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Post by Terpits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:15 pm

Very nice! Second best Sinn
:rimshot:

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:16 pm

tmw wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:06 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:02 pm
BBK357 wrote:

The original LE of 250 used NOS lemania movements, and many had troubles with reseting and crowns. The lemania movement is known to be robust, but the plastic parts and difficulty of repairing makes the ezm1 a pain. I have had 9 plus of these things, and is one of my favorite watches of all time. But the movement service issues make this a no-go for me. And trusting to RGM would not be a good thing.

I would take tegmented SS over ti any day.
I didn't know that 5100 had so many issues. Everything I've read waxed poetic about how durable it is. 7750 just seems pedestrian for me..but it is a reliable work horse.
I'm sure these will sell out regardless of price. Shit, I bet Sinn could've priced them at $5500 and they'd sell out.

namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:21 pm

It's not the watch the ZUZ designed with Sinn, and it's not 300M. It's probably a great watch on its own merits, but the only thing it has in common with an EZM1 is the dial design.

Is it worth 2x a EZM13 because the dial has negative space? That's a better comparison than any other Sinn
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

tmw

Post by tmw » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:24 pm

namor wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:21 pm
It's not the watch the ZUZ designed with Sinn, and it's not 300M. It's probably a great watch on its own merits, but the only thing it has in common with an EZM1 is the dial design.

Is it worth 2x a EZM13 because the dial has negative space? That's a better comparison than any other Sinn
Seth... i am surprised your actually not a fan.

Functionality is the same.

I have debated the ezm13 forever. This pulled trigger immediately. So I guess the answer is yes.
-- Eric Cartman

Floating down canal
It always just says now

- Jimmy Buffett

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:25 pm

Terpits wrote:Very nice! Second best Sinn
:lol: !!!!

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:26 pm

namor wrote: Is it worth 2x a EZM13 because the dial has negative space?
Tegimented case and more expensive movement account for much of the price difference. If the EZM13 was tegimented it would cost quite a bit more.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:48 pm

tmw wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:24 pm

Seth... i am surprised your actually not a fan.

Functionality is the same.

I have debated the ezm13 forever. This pulled trigger immediately. So I guess the answer is yes.
T - absolutely the truth. If you are on the fence about a watch, then you're really not, it's not the right one. If you jump on it it's the right one! I think it's a great watch on its own, just quibbling over the name. I bet that in person it will be phenomenal
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”