Sinn 757 PVD First Impressions: It Rocks!

Discussion of Sinn watches.
dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Sinn 757 PVD First Impressions: It Rocks!

Post by dshap » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:08 am

I haven't had the 757S for very long at all, but I've been wearing the watch everyday and really enjoying it, and I wanted to give you guys my initial impressions of the watch (and some new photos :mrgreen: ).

This is my first PVD watch, and I'm really enjoying the all-black look. I had been wanting a "tactical" looking watch, and I think the 757S fills that desire quite well. I wouldn't really say that it has the sinister look of some other PVD watches, but it's look is all business- clean, simple and functional.

The aesthetics of this watch are all about stark contrast- deep black case, and bright white hands and markers. I didn't realize how bright the white on the Sinn was until I held it next to my Sea Dweller; the SuperLuminova of the Rolex looks slightly aged in comparison, though it's not. The lume on the Sinn is also interesting. I assumed that the 3,6,9 and 12 would all glow, but when I first saw the watch in the dark, I was surprised, in a good way. The lume isn't the brightest, but it's certainly not bad.

Now take a close look at the dial. At 12 o'clock position there is a 30-minute counter, and at the 6 o'clock position there is a 12 hour counter, with a hash for every half-hour. Notice how those are the only two sub-dials; there is no indication on the watch for regular seconds. Some of you Panerai guys are probably used to not having a seconds hand, but this is my first watch like that, and I don't like it. Leaving off a third sub-dial let Sinn maintain symmetry of the sub-dials, but I can't accurately time the watch or check that it's running. The date is at 4 o'clock, small and out of the way. I like having the date, and appreciate how it doesn't call any attention to itself and distract from the time-keeping functions.

The watch has a 60-click bi-direction bezel, which turns well and has no play. It's also screwed down, so I guess I don't have to worry about it falling off :shrug: . I'm not sure what the point of having a bi-directional 60-minute bezel is, so maybe someone can explain?

Now let's talk about the much-adored Sinn rubber strap. I have very little experience with rubber straps, so I can't really compare it to anything else, but I can say that it's very comfortable and I understand why it gets so much love. It picks up very little lint and is nice and beefy, but I think it makes my wrist sweat a little more than a bracelet would. I don't know if that is the deal with all rubber straps, or just this, but I still like wearing it. I also like the deployant clasp, which is comfortable and seemingly well made. And I especially like this particular clasp, since Jay had it DLC'ed and it matches the PVD perfectly :thumbsup: .

As for the (boring) secs, the watch is 43mm in diameter, 16mm thick, and has a Valjoux 7750 movement.

Now the interesting specs- first, the case is fully tegimented. It has a "patented crown and pusher system [that] was designed to prohibit any moisture building in the case. The pusher seals sit one behind another and lubricated by a self-lubrication system almost makes the case impenetrable by water or moisture."

Notice that little silver thing in the pics on the left lower lug, well: "The case [has] a copper sulphate capsule which when reacts with moisture diffuses the humidity and therefore protecting the glass from condensation clouding." The movement is oiled with special temperature-resistant oils that are guaranteed to function from minus 45 degrees to plus 80 degrees Celsius. Finally, the movement is surrounded by an iron cage which makes the watch anti-magnetic to 80,000 A/m.

What feature doesn't this watch have! :dance:

I'm really impressed by the watch and it has exceeded my expectations. It's earned a permanent place in my collection, and now I see why Sinn gets so much lovin' on the forums. It's a hell of a lot of watch for the money, and if ever a watch was "worth the price", this would be it.
-David

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Re: Sinn 757 PVD First Impressions: It Rocks!

Post by SCM64 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:20 am

Nice overview. Most pilot watches have a bidirectional bezel, so you can also use it as a countdown timer.

Just want to add that all Sinns have Top Grade versions of whatever ETA is inside.

The lack of constant seconds is not for everyone, but I'll take the tradeoff for the clean look.

And by sure to grab a nice black Zulu to put on there once in a while. Congrats on a great pickup, that's a hottie for sure. :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:23 am

SCM64 wrote:Nice overview. Most pilot watches have a bidirectional bezel, so you can also use it as a countdown timer.
You would probably need the bezel to countdown from 60 if you wanted it to function as a countdown timer. :thumbsup:

SCM64 wrote:The lack of constant seconds is not for everyone, but I'll take the tradeoff for the clean look.
:1:

Nice writeup, shap.
:htfu:

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:38 am

Nice review. I hope the lack of running seconds isn't a deal breaker, because that is a sweet piece of Teutonic PVD perfection. :cheers:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:49 am

Nice write up David..Your wrist definitely sweats more on rubber...

Love the clean dial and the PVD...

Mike

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:52 am

pvd buckle :love:
Pasquale

NSC

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:23 am

nice write up! its a great watch, i didnt know thats what the little coppe thing was for, thought it was a HE escape valve.

chock full of options this one has!

dshap

Post by dshap » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:49 am

Thanks for all the "nice writeup" comments guys. I felt it was time to make a substantive post instead of the usual "nice watch" :lol: .

I forgot about a 12-hour bezel, now it makes sense :thumbsup:
-David

dshap

Post by dshap » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:56 am

SCM64 wrote:And by sure to grab a nice black Zulu to put on there once in a while. Congrats on a great pickup, that's a hottie for sure. :cheers:
I want to get a PVD NATO (not a Zulu fan), but I'm not sure where to buy from. I have a 20mm one from watchworx.co.uk, but it's a little too short. Gnomon also has PVD hardware, so maybe I'll have to try them? :shrug:
-David

Docrwm

Post by Docrwm » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:02 am

It's easy to see if a Chrono is running - hit the upper button. Seriously, no constant seconds takes a bit of getting used to but with the chrono its no big deal for me. On a 2 hander...no thanks.

The bezel allows you to time 2 things (if one <60 minutes) at the same time. BiDirectional is WAY more convenient than the Diver version IMHO and works a lot better for me for everyday use.

Great review, solid watch, enjoy! :salute:

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:18 am

Great watch and review!
Image Image Image
Trevor

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:36 am

matt.wu wrote:
SCM64 wrote:Nice overview. Most pilot watches have a bidirectional bezel, so you can also use it as a countdown timer.
You would probably need the bezel to countdown from 60 if you wanted it to function as a countdown timer. :thumbsup:

True, but it's not rocket science to do it with the standard dive bezel. I'll bet even pat could do it. :whistle: :bird:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

TLgdeL
Name: Gee Deez

Post by TLgdeL » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:35 pm

nice watch :bird:
Image Image

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:46 am

Beautiful watch and here is a pvd nato for you http://timefactors.com/nato.htm

dshap

Post by dshap » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:39 am

toxicavenger wrote:Beautiful watch and here is a pvd nato for you http://timefactors.com/nato.htm

I forgot about TF, but it looks like they only sell 20mm, and I need 22. :shrug:
-David

Chauncy7
Name: Jim

Post by Chauncy7 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:05 am

Nice one. Looks good on that rubber and big deployant.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Good review, David.
Oh, and it looks cool with that Benchmade. :thumbsup:
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Well laid out David. Sinn does have nice PVD....I wish they would issue more of that all black U1.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen