Alright folks, I've done a search, but... service... I don't

Discussion of Sinn watches.
Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Alright folks, I've done a search, but... service... I don't

Post by Sidheguitarist » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:24 pm

really feel like dicking around anymore to get the scoop:

UX hydros: Have to go back to Germany still for a battery, or did that last RGM upgrade fix that problem?

My memory is that the oil filled Sinns are the last still needing transatlantic trips, but a search of Sinn service didn't yield the recent thread I wanted to double check.
:shrug:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Re: Alright folks, I've done a search, but... service... I d

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:32 pm

I spoke to watchbuys recently and the guy told me they were going to start servicing oil filled watches in the US "soon", whatever that means. Good luck!
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:35 pm

oil goes to Germany. Ar can be done in US at RGM.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:08 pm

germany

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:36 pm

deepcdvr wrote:I spoke to watchbuys recently and the guy told me they were going to start servicing oil filled watches in the US "soon", whatever that means. Good luck!
It means keep checking back with us so we can try and sell you something. :raised:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:40 pm

How hard can it be to change the battery and put some oil in the case? :scratch:

If these watches were affordable for me I would try do it myself... :shrug:

Too bad because the dial of the UX is Sinn's best in my opinion. :thumbsup:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:07 am

SCM64 wrote:
deepcdvr wrote:I spoke to watchbuys recently and the guy told me they were going to start servicing oil filled watches in the US "soon", whatever that means. Good luck!
It means keep checking back with us so we can try and sell you something. :raised:
Word

I was actually calling to complain about something and during the conversation the oil subject came up and that's when he said they would be servicing them here soon. Nevertheless, I believe I read a post somewhere that confirmed it (but I'm old and shell shocked, so I may have just dreamed about it) :salute:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:47 am

Jeff posted this in September of last year:
I was actually talking to Rob at Watchbuys today, and this came up, so he sent me the long answer:

"Sinn has no plans to provide service for oil filled quartz watches outside of their Frankfurt workshops. The machines used to service these watches are built by Sinn, are one of a kind and take of a very large amount of space.

We have visited the area of Sinn's workshops where these watches are produced, and the machines and space required for those machines is almost the size of a traditional large computer server room.

They restrict access to both this room and all of the machines as they consider the technology and equipment to be proprietary.

To replicate this equipment in other location or country while at the same time restricting access to protect the technology and patents is not possible."

namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:54 am

carlodwc wrote:How hard can it be to change the battery and put some oil in the case? :scratch:

This.

It can't be too hard to do, and even if Sinn has a room sized machine, it still sometimes leaves a bubble in the watch anyway.

There was a thread a long time ago on EoT where a guy put a small piece of a rubber sponge in the case of his oil filled watch and it solved the bubble problem because it could expand/contract as needed.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:08 am

namor wrote:
carlodwc wrote:How hard can it be to change the battery and put some oil in the case? :scratch:

This.

It can't be too hard to do, and even if Sinn has a room sized machine, it still sometimes leaves a bubble in the watch anyway.

There was a thread a long time ago on EoT where a guy put a small piece of a rubber sponge in the case of his oil filled watch and it solved the bubble problem because it could expand/contract as needed.
If that worked without losing too much oil, couldn't the battery change be done at home and add this small expanding rubber piece if needed? It seems like it wouldn't be a problem if the watch is left face down.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:18 am

I love the watch but it comes with an invisible countdown timer. It seems like everyone flips theirs before it needs to back to der fatherland.

Anyone here know what that service costs?

Seiko solved a similar potential problem in the new 9F GS by separating the movement and battery compartments.
only accurate watches are interesting

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:38 am

Torrid wrote:
namor wrote:

This.

If that worked without losing too much oil, couldn't the battery change be done at home and add this small expanding rubber piece if needed? It seems like it wouldn't be a problem if the watch is left face down.
Actually I have seen posts where people filled their casios with oil, at home as mods or just because they liked to experiment. One could just buy some extra oil...

While nowdays the shipping to Germany is pretty fast, it is also expensive and introduces potential loss or damage. I can see having to send a Patek that costs tens of thousands, back to the company but certain Sinn models are not that expensive and it seems that the overall cost of service/shipping would be disproportionate.

I remember that Bell & Ross had a similar diver watch filled with oil, anyone know how that one is usually serviced?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:45 am

I don't care for the oil at all, but I love the looks of the UX.

I wish they would create my perfect Sinn; UX dial & handset, U2 domed crystal, U1 case & movement.

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:51 am

hoppyjr wrote:I don't care for the oil at all, but I love the looks of the UX.

I wish they would create my perfect Sinn; UX dial & handset, U2 domed crystal, U1 case & movement.
Hummm, sounds like you are getting into modding? :mrgreen: :lol:

Joking aside I think the same, who cares about the oil? The UX dial/hands are awesome looking. I could even live with the quartz movement... just make it easy to replace the batteries... :thumbsup:

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Yeah, Sinns are shit watches.