sinn t2

Discussion of Sinn watches.
jtbenson
Name: jason

Re: sinn t2

Post by jtbenson » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:20 am

well, i found a virtually new one for a great price so decided to give it a go. some initial thoughts after a few days, but a more in-depth review with more pics to come down the road.
i must say the handset is less arresting in person, and after a day or two on the wrist i now understand the hand design for a pure utility perspective, though i still don't agree with it aesthetically. when you glance at the dial, your vision is immediately focused on the arrow at the end of the minute hand---due to its extremity in conjunction with the lack of any defining emphasis on the end of the hour hand---and you instantaneously know the time to the minute (based on the assumption that you already know the hour).
shorty was spot-on about how ridiculously light this thing is, and I agree, on the bracelet it does feel toyish. however, It feels extremely well balanced on nylon (I'm not a huge bracelet guy, largely because my wrists are so small I find it difficult to get a good fit with the majority of the ones I've tried) and I'm sure the same could be said of rubber. I may try it on my 20mm vintage isofrane when i return home after the break.
the bezel action is nice. it's not as "captive" as other captive bezels I've handled. It does take parallel pressure points to release it to rotate, but it takes very little force. so little that at first I thought the captive lock had been disabled.
the crown isn't nearly as smooth as other soprod movements i've handled, but the "screw down" inspires confidence and it in no way feels cheap, just not nearly as smooth winding by comparison as my aegir cd-2 for example. this may run-in after some time. do love the fact that it's offset to the 4 o'clock position.
lume is great, and the different color on the minute hand extends the design focus of obscuring the hour hand and spotlighting the minute hand.
the thickness--or lack thereof--is the coup of this piece in my mind. i so wanted the pelagos to work for me, but in the end, what i wanted was the pelagos to be the same diameter/thickness of the standard, classic sub, and it is not. it was too big on me for a utility watch. i can't think of a ti, non-glossy dive watch currently that adheres to those classic proportions, but this is the closest thing I've found and for that alone i thought it was worth a drive.
more to come as i live with it, but for now, i'll leave it at: i love the fit and the handset doesn't look as out of proportion to the rest of the dial on the wrist imo.
i only have these crappy pics from when it first arrived, but i'll post better ones after the holiday break

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:24 am

jtbenson wrote:well, i found a virtually new one for a great price so decided to give it a go. some initial thoughts after a few days, but a more in-depth review with more pics to come down the road.
i must say the handset is less arresting in person, and after a day or two on the wrist i now understand the hand design for a pure utility perspective, though i still don't agree with it aesthetically. when you glance at the dial, your vision is immediately focused on the arrow at the end of the minute hand---due to its extremity in conjunction with the lack of any defining emphasis on the end of the hour hand---and you instantaneously know the time to the minute (based on the assumption that you already know the hour).
shorty was spot-on about how ridiculously light this thing is, and I agree, on the bracelet it does feel toyish. however, It feels extremely well balanced on nylon (I'm not a huge bracelet guy, largely because my wrists are so small I find it difficult to get a good fit with the majority of the ones I've tried) and I'm sure the same could be said of rubber. I may try it on my 20mm vintage isofrane when i return home after the break.
the bezel action is nice. it's not as "captive" as other captive bezels I've handled. It does take parallel pressure points to release it to rotate, but it takes very little force. so little that at first I thought the captive lock had been disabled.
the crown isn't nearly as smooth as other soprod movements i've handled, but the "screw down" inspires confidence and it in no way feels cheap, just not nearly as smooth winding by comparison as my aegir cd-2 for example. this may run-in after some time. do love the fact that it's offset to the 4 o'clock position.
lume is great, and the different color on the minute hand extends the design focus of obscuring the hour hand and spotlighting the minute hand.
the thickness--or lack thereof--is the coup of this piece in my mind. i so wanted the pelagos to work for me, but in the end, what i wanted was the pelagos to be the same diameter/thickness of the standard, classic sub, and it is not. it was too big on me for a utility watch. i can't think of a ti, non-glossy dive watch currently that adheres to those classic proportions, but this is the closest thing I've found and for that alone i thought it was worth a drive.
more to come as i live with it, but for now, i'll leave it at: i love the fit and the handset doesn't look as out of proportion to the rest of the dial on the wrist imo.
i only have these crappy pics from when it first arrived, but i'll post better ones after the holiday break

Awesome. I've been itching to try this for all the same reasons you noted... Looks forward to a full review.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:25 am

jtbenson wrote:well, i found a virtually new one for a great price so decided to give it a go. some initial thoughts after a few days, but a more in-depth review with more pics to come down the road.

Awesome. I've been itching to try this for all the same reasons you noted... Looks forward to a full review.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:51 am

Looks good, Jason. I can definitely see the appeal of this one.

jtbenson

Post by jtbenson » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:57 am

it's the u1 for us diminutive-wristed gents

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:23 pm

Congrats!!! I'm a big fan of the new T1/2 series. I'll be picking up a T1 in the next few months:)

Cheers
Shannon
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:30 pm

Congrats Jason! I like the look on nato too. :thumbsup:

jbsf3
Name: Jason

Post by jbsf3 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:41 am

Jason - digging this up, wanted to check in on the T2 and see how you are enjoying it after having it a while. I'm giving one a look and wanted to hear your thoughts after extended wear. Thanks!

jtbenson

Post by jtbenson » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:31 am

i'm really liking it for the slot it fills. it's a great water/sports watch due to the super light weight and smaller diameter and thickness.
to shortell's criticism, it does feel like a toy watch on the bracelet. i never even sized the bracelet after initially dangling it over my wrist. it even feels toy like on nato, but i do love the way it wears on nylon, it's so think the extra strap underneath the case is a non-issue. where it really shines though is on a rubber strap and that's how i've kept it since the summer. i have it on a marathon rubber strap and it's perfect for me. trying to source a sinn ti pin buckle (i'm looking at you ben) because i feel like the watch will live on that strap.
to address the amputee minute hand. i guess i got used to it because it really doesn't bother me at all on the wrist. i still cringe when i look at pics, even my own, but in daily wear it's not nearly as revolting.
to be honest, i haven't worn it much since i got the at3538, but i'm sure it will find its way back into the regular rotation once the honeymoon with the iwc cools down.
i think it's overpriced at retail, but for around $2k i think it offers great value for a sporty, lightweight, capable tool watch.
hope this helps. let me know if you have any specific questions.

jbsf3
Name: Jason

Post by jbsf3 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:45 am

Thanks Jason, great wrap up, much appreciated.