My DOXA frustrates a friends advances.

Discussion of Doxa watches.
TheWalrus

My DOXA frustrates a friends advances.

Post by TheWalrus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:51 pm

So I'm at a bar with a couple of friends. For the record I have a girlfriend and the both of them are single (and a little bit eager, if you catch my drift).

Anyway, throughout the night one of these guys is getting closer and closer to the waitress. He's complementing her hair, her body, her personality, her sense of humor, etc. etc. (With good reason too, I might add)

She's very forgiving, and she puts up with it with a good deal of aplomb.

By the end of the night he's going all out trying to win her over. What I notice though, is that while he's showering her with compliments, she's staring at me. Now obviously, the first conclusion one might reach is that my Adonis like physique was simply too much of a distraction for her (or, indeed any woman). And, in fact this is the logic I was following until she began to talk. Apologizing first to my friend, who she's almost completely ignoring she says, nearly verbatim.... "I can't stop staring at his watch! It's SO ORANGE. It looks really cool. What is that." I give a brief explanation... the usual "it's a DOXA dive watch, etc. etc." but before I can launch into my typical schpeel about Jacques Cousteau, Dirk Pitt, the advantages of an orange face in turbid water, what Project Aware does, and what a nodeco bezel is she reiterates just how cool the orange face is and walks off to get our tab....

... completely ignoring my now hapless friend who's just been bested at wooing the ladies by a wrist watch.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: My DOXA frustrates a friends advances.

Post by matt.wu » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:10 am

I think that most of the time, a waitress is going to be the least likely woman in the bar to go out with a fella, whether or not a Doxa is present.

Cool story though. Now I need to source a Doxa so I can drive ladies away from my single friends :fro:
:htfu:

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:38 am

Owned! :violin:
Click:

Tragic

Post by Tragic » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:08 am

Neat story.
A real pity though that she'd have been JUST as impressed by a pos Orange Monster :scream:

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:05 am

A TRUE wingman would've handed his buddy the watch and told him how much you liked his new expensive toy RIGHT in front of her.... :bootyshake:

Tallguy
Name: Steve-0-reeno

Post by Tallguy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:14 am

Tragic wrote:Neat story.
A real pity though that she'd have been JUST as impressed by a pos Orange Monster :scream:

Nah, not the same orange :thumbsup:

Walrus, obviously you don't too closely resemble your nickname or even the watch wouldn't have been enough :raised:

TheWalrus

Post by TheWalrus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:24 am

matt.wu wrote:Now I need to source a Doxa so I can drive ladies away from my single friends :fro:
If DOXA was smart, this could be the start of a whole new marketing campaign.

TheWalrus

Post by TheWalrus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:33 am

Seth wrote:A TRUE wingman would've handed his buddy the watch and told him how much you liked his new expensive toy RIGHT in front of her.... :bootyshake:
Thats true. Fortunately, though, I'm a moral monster and felt that this would make the funnier story on DWC.

Plus, by the time I realized what was going on, it was far too late, and I was forced to bear that heaviest of burdens - undivided attention from attractive women - alone. :snooty:
Last edited by TheWalrus on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:34 am

New term: Doxa-blocked :banplz:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

TheWalrus

Post by TheWalrus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:38 am

Tallguy wrote:

Nah, not the same orange :thumbsup:

Walrus, obviously you don't too closely resemble your nickname or even the watch wouldn't have been enough :raised:
Oh, of course, my chiseled Cary Grant meets Harrison Ford physique won the day in the end, I'm sure.

Also, I completely agree. DOXA orange is an entirely unique sort of orange. Definitely not comparable to an Orange Monster. I mean, my God.

force_quit

Post by force_quit » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:38 am

deepcdvr wrote:New term: Doxa-blocked :banplz:
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Tallguy
Name: Steve-0-reeno

Post by Tallguy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:44 am

Classic! :lol:

Maybe "DOX-blocked" rolls off the tongue a little better :shrug: :cheers: :dance:

jad3703
Name: James

Post by jad3703 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:35 am

I love it, dude! Obviously, your friend does not have the good sense (just kidding) to know that a watch helps make the man (or in this case, attract the women).

Sad that you could not set the hook deeper with the waitress, but it is what it is ...

James
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM - "I'll either find a way or make one"

TheWalrus

Post by TheWalrus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:21 am

jad3703 wrote:I love it, dude! Obviously, your friend does not have the good sense (just kidding) to know that a watch helps make the man (or in this case, attract the women).

Sad that you could not set the hook deeper with the waitress, but it is what it is ...

James
I keep telling my single friends this! But they don't believe me. I mean certainly personality is important too, but if you can accent that with a nice watch, all the better. It's funny because all the women I know say the same thing. They like seeing a guy with a nice watch on.

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:41 pm

If he had a Monster on his wrist, there is no telling where the night might have led. Once she realized what a great bang for the buck it was, and how Hardlex is better than sapphire, she'd have been licking his watch right there at the table.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:49 pm

DMB wrote:

If he had a Monster on his wrist, there is no telling where the night might have led. Once she realized what a great bang for the buck it was, and how Hardlex is better than sapphire, she'd have been licking his watch right there at the table.
One thing I love about this place is we never let a good zinger pass by unused. :clap:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:10 pm

im lovin this thread. :lol:

Yeah my girlfriend also looks at other watches on dudes, for her its a brown leather strap that'll catch her eye. Ive also noticed women almost always notice your watch & shoes.

Now, how much for a used Project Aware Doxa again? :whistle:

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:41 pm

TheWalrus wrote:I keep telling my single friends this! But they don't believe me. I mean certainly personality is important too, but if you can accent that with a nice watch, all the better. It's funny because all the women I know say the same thing. They like seeing a guy with a nice watch on.
well, if this story still doesn't drive that point home - that a nice watch can only accentuate, never detract (it can even serve as an conversational ice-breaker), i don't know what will.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Denizen wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:I keep telling my single friends this! But they don't believe me. I mean certainly personality is important too, but if you can accent that with a nice watch, all the better. It's funny because all the women I know say the same thing. They like seeing a guy with a nice watch on.
well, if this story still doesn't drive that point home - that a nice watch can only accentuate, never detract (it can even serve as an conversational ice-breaker), i don't know what will.
Translation: A nice watch can help you bang chicks. :banplz:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:34 pm

DMB wrote:

Add a three wolves t-shirt and watch the hell out... :shock:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

jad3703
Name: James

Post by jad3703 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:33 am

DMB wrote:If he had a Monster on his wrist, there is no telling where the night might have led. Once she realized what a great bang for the buck it was, and how Hardlex is better than sapphire, she'd have been licking his watch right there at the table.
Beautiful. Simply beautiful. I did a nose trick with my coffee reading this one! :roll:

James
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM - "I'll either find a way or make one"

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:22 am

Well played! :thumbsup:
c*ck blocked by the Doxa. dammit! :crybaby:
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

425ranger
OMGWTFBBQ
Name: Bill

Post by 425ranger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:39 pm

The exact same thing happened to me.

Just change Doxa with "my Junk"; and "orange" with "Huge"
Retired
Key West, FL
Have a sparkling day.