Need Help w/ a DOXA Sub 300 Sharkhunter

Discussion of Doxa watches.
NavyPorkChop

Need Help w/ a DOXA Sub 300 Sharkhunter

Post by NavyPorkChop » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi,

First time poster. My wife and I are both retired from the Navy and are now in the antique and estate sale business in Virginia. Our next estate sale contains a DOXA Sub 300 Sharkhunter dive watch. The owner, who passed away earlier this year, was one of the original Navy SEALS. We will be selling the watch in the sale.

We are looking to get help with age and estimated current retail value for the estate. The watch runs, can set the hour and minute hands, but there seems to be a problem setting the date (unless it is operator error). The watch band is a DOXA Sub 300, beads of rice bracelet. One bead is missing where it connects to the watch case and the one next to it needs to be crimped back into place. The back of the case has the DOXA emblem with the sailboat.

Apologize for the picture. I can take others if needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Re: Need Help w/ a DOXA Sub 300 Sharkhunter

Post by CesarG » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:38 pm

That looks sweet. Aqua Lung dial… I know someone who will buy it today…

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:48 pm

Have no idea personally-but there are dudes here that will so keep checking this thread. Looks to be in nice shape from what I can see.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:09 pm

NavyPorkChop wrote:Hi,

First time poster. My wife and I are both retired from the Navy and are now in the antique and estate sale business in Virginia. Our next estate sale contains a DOXA Sub 300 Sharkhunter dive watch. The owner, who passed away earlier this year, was one of the original Navy SEALS. We will be selling the watch in the sale.

We are looking to get help with age and estimated current retail value for the estate. The watch runs, can set the hour and minute hands, but there seems to be a problem setting the date (unless it is operator error). The watch band is a DOXA Sub 300, beads of rice bracelet. One bead is missing where it connects to the watch case and the one next to it needs to be crimped back into place. The back of the case has the DOXA emblem with the sailboat.

Bob
Yummy
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:38 pm

demer03 wrote:

Bob
Yummy

PayPal sent?

gonzomantis

Post by gonzomantis » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Probably close to worthless. I'll give you $50.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:29 am

Hi nice watch. Take a look at ebay past sells of vintage Doxa 300 they sell from 800-1500 and more on a good day. If it was issued I have read they did issue some in the 1960's and can ducument it the price can be doubled becouse military watch collectors go crazy over issued watches with history to them.

demer03

Post by demer03 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:10 am

zepp21 wrote:
demer03 wrote:

Bob
Yummy

PayPal sent?
Haven't been offered :crybaby:

CesarG
Mexican

Post by CesarG » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:37 am

That's plexiglass, right?

demer03

Post by demer03 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:47 am

Yes. Domed acrylic.

CesarG
Mexican

Post by CesarG » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:55 am

I like it. Too bad Bob disappeared.

NavyPorkChop

Post by NavyPorkChop » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks for your info River Rat. I've contacted some retired Navy SEALS that work at the SEAL Heritage Center at the Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek. They are going to try and help me with identification and if this was a military issue watch.

How we run our estate sales:

-Friday is full price
-Saturday is 25% off original price
-Sunday is 50% off original price
Bids are allowed (we will accept the highest bid as long as it is reasonable)
People can call or email with bids. We can't accept PayPal yet but can take credit cards over the phone.

I'll let you know when we plan on selling the watch.

Thanks again!

NavyPorkChop

Post by NavyPorkChop » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks for your info River Rat. I've contacted some retired Navy SEALS that work at the SEAL Heritage Center at the Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek. They are going to try and help me with identification and if this was a military issue watch.

How we run our estate sales:

-Friday is full price
-Saturday is 25% off original price
-Sunday is 50% off original price
Bids are allowed (we will accept the highest bid as long as it is reasonable)
People can call or email with bids. We can't accept PayPal yet but can take credit cards over the phone.

We will be selling the watch in one of our upcoming sales over the next 3 months. I'll let you know the dates once we have decided on the sale.

Thanks again!

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:55 pm

Here is another seal Museum that mite give you info
https://navysealmuseum.com/
in Florida. In the book Military Timepieces by Whitney there is a section on UDT and Seal issued watches a Seal by the name Cmdr. Al Betters USN had his issued watches in the book the Doxa 300 was one of them. A few years ago I saw him post on a watch forum all ways wondered if it was really him.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Bob, check the case back. I don't know if every issued watch had markings but every issued watch I have seen has some identification numbers/letters etched into the caseback. Post some pics of the caseback if you can. But Mike (river rat) had a great suggestion regarding checking eBay. That looks to be the original acrylic crystal too. Sharp looking watch for sure.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Is that crown correct?

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:21 pm

BSears wrote:Bob, check the case back. I don't know if every issued watch had markings but every issued watch I have seen has some identification numbers/letters etched into the caseback. Post some pics of the caseback if you can. But Mike (river rat) had a great suggestion regarding checking eBay. That looks to be the original acrylic crystal too. Sharp looking watch for sure.
You never know watches the Navy bought off the shelf by supply were marked plus with the case back with the sail boat emblem no place to mark it the Canadian Navy some times did not mark issued Tudor subs and I seen unmarked US Navy issued Rolex subs posted on the net you just don't know how the US Navy marked or not marked issued watches back in the day. Here is some info out of a book I got a good library on vintage watches they come in handy knowledge helps with vintage watches or you pass on rare ones because you don't know what you are looking at.

I bet there is a lot of watches you did not know were issued watches back in the day and I bet a lot were not marked because the watches listed above how many have you seen on the net marked. Only one is the Tornek-Rayville TR-900, Benrus type I & II , Elgin and Hamilton canteen watches are the only ones I ever seen marked the others could of been bought by supply of the unit they were issued directly from a store and not through normal military supply system and not marked. I remember getting sent to buy a battery for a small boat at shop out side the gate so a lot of stuff is still bought with out going through the military supply system so real easy not to mark some thing for issue all you do is sign for it when issued the watch and what type of watch issued if that happen nobody knows how many unmarked watches are out there plus they were cheaper back then so there were not worried about theft.

demer03

Post by demer03 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:17 am

andrema wrote:Is that crown correct?
Looks OK....if it's signed.

NavyPorkChop

Post by NavyPorkChop » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks guys for the information. There are no markings on the case back other than the DOXA with the sailboat.

Met and talked to the President of the UDT-SEAL Association at the SEAL Heritage Center today and he is going to forward some pictures and information to the Navy SEAL Museum in Fort Pierce, Florida. We'll see what they come up with. I'll let you guys know if they come up with any more information on the watch.

Interesting talking to the President of the association (a retired Master Chief SEAL). He says they get many requests to confirm that individuals who claim to be SEALs are really SEALs. They have the complete database that goes all the way back in SEAL and UDT history. He said that they are finding that more and more of the requests for confirmations were never SEALs. He thinks that most of these guys were in the training pipeline but dropped out and want to carry on the myth that they were SEALs. SAD!

Thanks again for your help. We have decided not to do anything with the watch until we have a really good feel for it's history.

Happy New Year to you all!

Bob

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:59 pm

demer03 wrote:
That is what I was getting at, Mike. I cannot tell from the photo, but it looks like it is unsigned.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:37 am

andrema wrote:
demer03 wrote:
That is what I was getting at, Mike. I cannot tell from the photo, but it looks like it is unsigned.
Some of the older one's with none screw down crowns were unsigned mine is none screw down crown and unsigned surprised mine passed the pressure test when I had it serviced.

demer03

Post by demer03 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:50 am

River Rat wrote:
andrema wrote:
demer03 wrote:
Some of the older one's with none screw down crowns were unsigned mine is none screw down crown and unsigned surprised mine passed the pressure test when I had it serviced.
Mike, all should be signed. My no T's and T's were all signed unless replacements.

I want this....dibs dammit

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:10 am

demer03 wrote:
River Rat wrote:
andrema wrote:
demer03 wrote:
Mike, all should be signed. My no T's and T's were all signed unless replacements.

I want this....dibs dammit
Mike take a look here at this link were a major Doxa collector has three subs stacked together one a vintage with none signed crown
http://www.doxa300t.com/3subs/3subs.htm

demer03

Post by demer03 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:00 am

Two are modern. I believe the vintage is a replacement crown, Mike.

NavyPorkChop

Post by NavyPorkChop » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:36 am

Concerning the crown. It is signed "DOXA".