IT Admin
Name: Andrew

More Crazy Rolex AD Behavior

Post by logan2z » Fri May 10, 2019 4:36 am

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Re: More Crazy Rolex AD Behavior

Post by Nellipj » Fri May 10, 2019 4:44 am

This is obviously overseas, but the madness has to stop sometime, right???

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri May 10, 2019 5:39 am

That's crazy, especially the part about the AD choosing the other watch for the buyer. As one of the posters said, sounds like a scheme by the AD to move unwanted watches if a buyer really wants a Rolex.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Fri May 10, 2019 5:57 am

as long as people comply, this will continue.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri May 10, 2019 6:12 am

That is ridiculous.

Agree RMM, I really cant understand paying a premium for a watch (or a car). But then again, a lot of people will pay the premium, and that is the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri May 10, 2019 6:54 am

There has been complaints of this for a while now. It also happens in the US from some of the reports on TRF. If you really want o hear something crazy than read this:

"Got busted by Rolex
I bought a sky dweller because I just love the blue face and for everything it includes it's a great "bargin". Last month my dealer called me and said he had a Daytona. Well I can't afford to pay for 2 watches so I decided to sell sky dweller. I posted it on craigslist and ebay. I didn't post any number or card. Someone bought my watch from ebay. Yesterday my ad calls me saying Rolex contacted them about me flipping the watch and they are pissed. They want me to return the watch or the profit I made from it. The dealer said after the Daytona watch I can't buy any Rolexes from them and Rolex has put that dealer on a list.'https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=673699

i do not know if it is true and it sounds pretty crazy but AD"s and grey market sellers are pulling all kinds of stupid shit. Of course TRF locked it down like they always do if they do not like something.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 am

This stories are about the craziest things I have heard pretty much ever.

I like Rolex watches and I 100% respect what Rolex has contributed to the industry, but let's be real - Rolex sports watches are manufactured using highly automated technology. We are not talking about individual pieces of art here. They are a commodity.

The more I read about these situations, the more I appreciate my simple Seiko SLA017.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

More Crazy Rolex AD Behavior

Post by hoppyjr » Fri May 10, 2019 7:53 am

toxicavenger wrote:There has been complaints of this for a while now. It also happens in the US from some of the reports on TRF. If you really want o hear something crazy than read this:

"Got busted by Rolex
I bought a sky dweller because I just love the blue face and for everything it includes it's a great "bargin". Last month my dealer called me and said he had a Daytona. Well I can't afford to pay for 2 watches so I decided to sell sky dweller. I posted it on craigslist and ebay. I didn't post any number or card. Someone bought my watch from ebay. Yesterday my ad calls me saying Rolex contacted them about me flipping the watch and they are pissed. They want me to return the watch or the profit I made from it. The dealer said after the Daytona watch I can't buy any Rolexes from them and Rolex has put that dealer on a list.'https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=673699

i do not know if it is true and it sounds pretty crazy but AD"s and grey market sellers are pulling all kinds of stupid shit. Of course TRF locked it down like they always do if they do not like something.
I dealt with an AD for about 20 years. During that time I purchased several Rolex, Panerai, Omega, and other brands. Over the past six years or so I purchased a couple no-date Subs and a couple Explorers. Since my watch fund isn’t what it once was, I had to sell something to buy something and I was undecided which I preferred, hence the two of each, alternating one at a time.

Also over these last couple years I noticed that I wasn’t receiving invitations to the AD’s special watch events and hadn’t received the occasional gifts they send to regular customers. At first I didn’t think much of it or care, but my buddy (also a long time customer) was receiving these. I made sure they had my address and email address, but even that conversation seemed strained.

Between summer and winter 2018 I emailed semi-regularly in an attempt to find out where “on the list” I was for a sports model, this because I’d been “on the list” for a SD43 since launch. Each inquiry was met with “we just don’t know” so I assumed it was just a supply & demand thing. Then in December I called in and spoke to the owner - a guy I’ve know and dealt with all these years. I asked where I was on the list and rather than give me the usual answer, he questioned where all the other watches were that I’d purchased? He basically asked me to account for them and I found that odd. The call concluded with me asking that he let me know if any of these three show up; SD43, Explorer 1, Sub.

In February or March this year I stopped by the AD as I was in the area. In the case was an Explorer 1. No call, no email, no customer service.

It’s clear to me that spending tens of thousands of dollars with this AD didn’t earn me even the most basic customer service. It used to be good and I even have an “in house” account with them, but things have changed. When they had watches in the case I was apparently a good customer, but in the current climate it seems they don’t want my business.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri May 10, 2019 8:29 am

Rolex must be putting pressure on ADs about the grey market with threats that they could lose their AD status if too many of their sales get flipped (not exactly sure how that would be tracked, but I assume there's a way for at least some of the watches). And I guess the AD's are in turn strong-arming their Rolex customers.

All of this is weird given that AD's are clearly having a hard time stocking desirable Rolex sports models. Rolex obviously doesn't like the grey market situation, but it seems they're still unsure about what they can do to stop it.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri May 10, 2019 8:31 am

JBZ wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:29 am
Rolex obviously doesn't like the grey market situation, but it seems they're still unsure about what they can do to stop it.
Online and boutique only. That's what other manufacturers (eg. AP) seem to be doing.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Fri May 10, 2019 8:35 am

logan2z wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:31 am
JBZ wrote:
Rolex obviously doesn't like the grey market situation, but it seems they're still unsure about what they can do to stop it.
Online and boutique only. That's what other manufacturers (eg. AP) seem to be doing.
Or just increase production so that all ADs have enough sport models to meet demand.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri May 10, 2019 8:36 am

Joeprez wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:35 am
logan2z wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Or just increase production so that all ADs have enough sport models to meet demand.
You mean the demands of the grey market? ;)

As long as the traditional AD network exists there will always be some unscrupulous ADs that that will do anything to make a buck - even if that means violating their agreements with manufacturers who seem powerless to stop it. Eliminating the AD network in favor of manufacturer-owned boutiques and an e-commerce site should go a long way to eradicating the grey market.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Fri May 10, 2019 8:38 am

Hehehe well if I can go to an AD and get the Sub I want, why go to a grey market dealer (unless they are selling below retail, which is not the case). Guess Rolex would need to flood the market with Subs.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri May 10, 2019 8:43 am

logan2z wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Omega is moving that way, too. I just got hip to the fact that you can buy online through their website. I doubt it eliminates the grey market, but I imagine it at least allows the manufacturer to control what happens to its product a bit more. Of course, it kills the AD discounts that consumers love so much.

Rolex clearly has the money to move in that direction, but it would take time. And, unlike other brands, they'd probably face a disproportionate amount of negative press due to AD complaints ("we're going to go out of business", etc.), for whom Rolex is a huge cash cow. Add to that that Rolex is one of the most enigmatic companies on the planet, and who knows what they're thinking?

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri May 10, 2019 8:45 am

Joeprez wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:38 am
Hehehe well if I can go to an AD and get the Sub I want, why go to a grey market dealer (unless they are selling below retail, which is not the case). Guess Rolex would need to flood the market with Subs.
But back when ADs had a steady supply of Rolex sports models, the greys were selling at below retail. The crazy mark-ups only started when the AD supply got strangled. So if the supply loosened up again, I imagine the greys would start lowering their prices. That's how they stayed in business in the first place.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri May 10, 2019 8:50 am

JBZ wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:43 am
logan2z wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Omega is moving that way, too. I just got hip to the fact that you can buy online through their website. I doubt it eliminates the grey market, but I imagine it at least allows the manufacturer to control what happens to its product a bit more. Of course, it kills the AD discounts that consumers love so much.

Rolex clearly has the money to move in that direction, but it would take time. And, unlike other brands, they'd probably face a disproportionate amount of negative press due to AD complaints ("we're going to go out of business", etc.), for whom Rolex is a huge cash cow. Add to that that Rolex is one of the most enigmatic companies on the planet, and who knows what they're thinking?
JLC has been selling it's watches through it's e-commerce site for a few years now. They even offer a 30 day return period.

https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/en/ ... nder.html

AP has been aggressively eliminating ADs in favor of its own boutiques. The ADs in the SF Bay Area have been shut down. IWC is selling its watches online, now Omega is doing the same. This is definitely the way the industry is heading.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 10, 2019 9:47 am

AP hasn’t done anything besides make it hard for people to buy their watches. Greys still have tons of APROs and now nobody has an AP dealer in their town.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri May 10, 2019 9:56 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:47 am
AP hasn’t done anything besides make it hard for people to buy their watches. Greys still have tons of APROs and now nobody has an AP dealer in their town.
Presumably it will take some time to drain the swamp.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 10, 2019 10:06 am

logan2z wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:56 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
You’re an optimist. Buyers are pissed.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri May 10, 2019 10:15 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:06 am
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Oddly, pissing off buyers seems to be the business strategy of Rolex and AP ;)

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri May 10, 2019 12:17 pm

logan2z wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:50 am
JBZ wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:43 am
logan2z wrote:
JBZ wrote:

JLC has been selling it's watches through it's e-commerce site for a few years now. They even offer a 30 day return period.

https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/en/ ... nder.html

AP has been aggressively eliminating ADs in favor of its own boutiques. The ADs in the SF Bay Area have been shut down. IWC is selling its watches online, now Omega is doing the same. This is definitely the way the industry is heading.
In the Amazon and online shopping days we are in now, most purchases are over the internet and less people are going into stores, so there is less need for the middle man (ADs), thus tightening supply to raise prices/stop discounting sets up the manufacturers to sell direct through limited boutiques and online.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Sounds like Rolex is becoming too elitist for their own good imo. Reminds me of the soup Nazi on Steinfeld.

No Rolex for you........you come back in 5 years.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri May 10, 2019 1:18 pm

toxicavenger wrote:There has been complaints of this for a while now. It also happens in the US from some of the reports on TRF. If you really want o hear something crazy than read this:

"Got busted by Rolex

The OP of that thread had all of 5 posts and was banned. I suspect That story wasn’t legit.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri May 10, 2019 1:29 pm

logan2z wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:15 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:06 am
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Oddly, pissing off buyers seems to be the business strategy of Rolex and AP ;)
Rolex needs to talk to Yao about how to jerk your buyers around yet they still love you (and act like they were jerked off not jerked around).

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Fri May 10, 2019 1:52 pm

My imaginary friend and I, stopped by our local AD. We shared this story. They indicated that this was complete AD sideways shit and not Rolex.
They had no problem selling me a sport Rolex (without purchasing anything else)...