Tips for buying Rolex used?

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
Post Reply
User avatar
3migo
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:17 pm
Name: Russell
Location: Nashville, TN

Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by 3migo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:03 pm

So I'm considering picking up my first Rolex, and I'm looking heavily at the 214270.

With it being Rolex, obviously counterfeits/fakes are a big concern when it comes to buying used.

Does anyone have any tips on a process to follow when evaluating watches for sale, and how to verify authenticity?

Looking forward to your collective advice.

User avatar
smalls
Posts: 5133
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 am
Name: Matt
Location: South Carolina

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by smalls » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:06 pm

There are some “trusted sellers” (davidsw, Takuya, ocrolexguy etc.) on the various forums. You’ll pay a little more but it’s peace of mind.

User avatar
Nellipj
Posts: 5551
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 am
Name: Patrick
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by Nellipj » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:29 pm

smalls wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:06 pm
There are some “trusted sellers” (davidsw, Takuya, ocrolexguy etc.) on the various forums. You’ll pay a little more but it’s peace of mind.
+1 on this. Unless M@ has something for you. I’ve used all 3 of the above at some point.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Posts: 10132
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 am
Name: Jeff

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by JBZ » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:30 pm

As stated, for a new or gently used modern Rolex, you should be okay with any one a number of the "trusted sellers." Your best bet is probably taking a look at the "who's who" section at TRF to get a sense of who those folks are, but you'd be fine with the three Matt listed.

To me, the bigger issue is that, due to the AD shortage going on right now, Rolex sports models are all selling on the grey market at a price equal to or, more likely, higher than MSRP. MSRP on a 214270 is $6,550 according to the Rolex website. Currently DavidSW has a new one listed on his website for $7,025 and a pre-owned one for $6,475.

So, if you're not in a rush, it might be worth visiting a Rolex AD to see what they have (the Explorer I probably isn't as popular as some of the other sports models like the Sub or GMT - you might get lucky). Even if they don't have anything in stock, you can see how long it will take them to get one in for you.

You get complete peace of mind with an AD, and it might be the way to go if there isn't much difference in price (though you may have to pay sales tax).
Image

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by Chocodove » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:34 pm

A forum dealer can have a brand new one at your door within 24 hours or less. But, as mentioned, you’ll pay for the privilege.

I wish I was in the market for another 214270. If I were, I’d go with Jeff’s advice and feel out a few AD’s before going in another direction.
- Todd

User avatar
3migo
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:17 pm
Name: Russell
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by 3migo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:15 pm

JBZ wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:30 pm
As stated, for a new or gently used modern Rolex, you should be okay with any one a number of the "trusted sellers." Your best bet is probably taking a look at the "who's who" section at TRF to get a sense of who those folks are, but you'd be fine with the three Matt listed.

To me, the bigger issue is that, due to the AD shortage going on right now, Rolex sports models are all selling on the grey market at a price equal to or, more likely, higher than MSRP. MSRP on a 214270 is $6,550 according to the Rolex website. Currently DavidSW has a new one listed on his website for $7,025 and a pre-owned one for $6,475.

So, if you're not in a rush, it might be worth visiting a Rolex AD to see what they have (the Explorer I probably isn't as popular as some of the other sports models like the Sub or GMT - you might get lucky). Even if they don't have anything in stock, you can see how long it will take them to get one in for you.

You get complete peace of mind with an AD, and it might be the way to go if there isn't much difference in price (though you may have to pay sales tax).
Our local Rolex AD hasn't had any sports models besides a Yachtmaster in ages. Maybe a Milgauss here and there. Nada on Explorers, unfortunately.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 32944
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:38 pm

3migo wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:30 pm
As stated, for a new or gently used modern Rolex, you should be okay with any one a number of the "trusted sellers." Your best bet is probably taking a look at the "who's who" section at TRF to get a sense of who those folks are, but you'd be fine with the three Matt listed.

To me, the bigger issue is that, due to the AD shortage going on right now, Rolex sports models are all selling on the grey market at a price equal to or, more likely, higher than MSRP. MSRP on a 214270 is $6,550 according to the Rolex website. Currently DavidSW has a new one listed on his website for $7,025 and a pre-owned one for $6,475.

So, if you're not in a rush, it might be worth visiting a Rolex AD to see what they have (the Explorer I probably isn't as popular as some of the other sports models like the Sub or GMT - you might get lucky). Even if they don't have anything in stock, you can see how long it will take them to get one in for you.

You get complete peace of mind with an AD, and it might be the way to go if there isn't much difference in price (though you may have to pay sales tax).
Our local Rolex AD hasn't had any sports models besides a Yachtmaster in ages. Maybe a Milgauss here and there. Nada on Explorers, unfortunately.
Call around to other AD’s in other states. Use google to find them (or the Rolex USA website). Another benefit to an out of state dealer is the potential for no sales tax, depending on your state laws.

User avatar
jimyritz
Masshole
Posts: 22772
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am
Name: Mike
Location: Boston

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by jimyritz » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:58 pm

smalls wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:06 pm
There are some “trusted sellers” (davidsw, Takuya, ocrolexguy etc.) on the various forums. You’ll pay a little more but it’s peace of mind.
==============

Buy from an AD it's cheaper ;) Sorry but David Orlando's prices are sky high..I bought from OCRolexguy and it was a very smooth deal.

User avatar
jimyritz
Masshole
Posts: 22772
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am
Name: Mike
Location: Boston

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by jimyritz » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:03 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:38 pm
3migo wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:30 pm
As stated, for a new or gently used modern Rolex, you should be okay with any one a number of the "trusted sellers." Your best bet is probably taking a look at the "who's who" section at TRF to get a sense of who those folks are, but you'd be fine with the three Matt listed.

To me, the bigger issue is that, due to the AD shortage going on right now, Rolex sports models are all selling on the grey market at a price equal to or, more likely, higher than MSRP. MSRP on a 214270 is $6,550 according to the Rolex website. Currently DavidSW has a new one listed on his website for $7,025 and a pre-owned one for $6,475.

So, if you're not in a rush, it might be worth visiting a Rolex AD to see what they have (the Explorer I probably isn't as popular as some of the other sports models like the Sub or GMT - you might get lucky). Even if they don't have anything in stock, you can see how long it will take them to get one in for you.

You get complete peace of mind with an AD, and it might be the way to go if there isn't much difference in price (though you may have to pay sales tax).
Our local Rolex AD hasn't had any sports models besides a Yachtmaster in ages. Maybe a Milgauss here and there. Nada on Explorers, unfortunately.
Call around to other AD’s in other states. Use google to find them (or the Rolex USA website). Another benefit to an out of state dealer is the potential for no sales tax, depending on your state laws.
===============
Many AD's are keeping the most popular models in the back or in their safe- Trying to avoid grey mkt buyers/flippers, etc...

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 44070
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:05 pm

don't

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4722
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by sierra11b » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:14 pm

214270 should be relatively easy to find through a trusted seller. DeVons recently called me out of the blue saying they had one for me but I passed having recently put that money into a PO. 220 Lincoln Center, Stockton, CA 95207.

It's the only part of Stockton that's worth a damn and the owner is cool as hell and knows his watches. You could call as see if they have it still (209) 951-9610 and drop my name as having recently passed. You could always get on their list as they obviously put you down if serious.

User avatar
3migo
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:17 pm
Name: Russell
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by 3migo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:58 am

Thanks Eric! I might give them a call.

Anyone dealt with HQ Milton? They've got a used 214270 at a very reasonable price.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Posts: 10132
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 am
Name: Jeff

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by JBZ » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:18 am

3migo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:58 am
Thanks Eric! I might give them a call.

Anyone dealt with HQ Milton? They've got a used 214270 at a very reasonable price.
I have. I guess Jacek rubs some people the wrong way (he can be a little terse), but I've always had good experiences with him. You don't have anything to worry about as far as the watch being genuine, and he'll usually come down a little from his asking price.
Image

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 28264
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by matt.wu » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:25 am

3migo wrote:Thanks Eric! I might give them a call.

Anyone dealt with HQ Milton? They've got a used 214270 at a very reasonable price.
Jump on it if available. I’ve met with them multiple times in person, and they’re good guys.
:htfu:

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 32944
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:06 pm

3migo wrote:Thanks Eric! I might give them a call.

Anyone dealt with HQ Milton? They've got a used 214270 at a very reasonable price.
Make sure it’s a second generation model. The first gen has white gold numbers and t-Rex hands.

User avatar
3migo
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:17 pm
Name: Russell
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by 3migo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:09 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
3migo wrote:Thanks Eric! I might give them a call.

Anyone dealt with HQ Milton? They've got a used 214270 at a very reasonable price.
Make sure it’s a second generation model. The first gen has white gold numbers and t-Rex hands.
Yeah it's the MKII. That's the flavor I've been looking for, not a fan of the polished numeral Mk1.
Image

User avatar
tmw
Posts: 2851
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 pm
Name: The Enabler
Location: Philly

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by tmw » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:22 pm

I think you should try and call every AD around for this as suggested....I think you will find one.
“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

User avatar
flintsghost
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 12:07 pm
Name: Bill

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by flintsghost » Sat May 11, 2019 12:17 pm

In buying or trading for Rolex used do what many of the online dealers mentioned above do...If there isn't a filled out warranty paper or card...they don't really want it. Also insist on a complete kit. Boxes, papers tools etc. Fakes don't usually come with complete kit. Also do your own due diligence on line on the seller/buyer.
The reason I carry a 45 is because Colt don't make a 46.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests