Interesting thread on TRF - Rolex IS watching

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
Panerai7
Name: Art

Interesting thread on TRF - Rolex IS watching

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:12 am

I found this interesting. As a lot of us predicted, Rolex is fighting a war against flippers/grey dealers.

My personal opinion: I just want to get a watch I'm gonna wear (not flip) within a reasonable amount of time from Rolex AD. And while I'm waiting in line I don't want to see "trusted" grey flippers selling for 2x MSRP. Whatever it takes for Rolex to accomplish that I'm fine with that.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=624963

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Re: Interesting thread on TRF - Rolex IS watching

Post by logan2z » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:41 am

Absolutely incredible. I'm glad I have little desire to own a Rolex, I would never put up with the BS some people do to own one.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:42 am

logan2z wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:41 am
Absolutely incredible. I'm glad I have little desire to own a Rolex, I would never put up with the BS some people do to own one.
Me either. Freaking crazy what people would put up with to purchase a marketing tool. Like Ferrari.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:51 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:42 am
logan2z wrote:
Me either. Freaking crazy what people would put up with to purchase a marketing tool. Like Ferrari.
Unfortunately I have no experience buying a Ferrari, but they produce a total of about 8000 cars annually while Rolex cranks out a million watches. So I'd expect it to be quite a bit more difficult to get my hands on a 488GTB than a mass-produced stainless steel watch.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:17 am

logan2z wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:51 am
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Unfortunately I have no experience buying a Ferrari, but they produce a total of about 8000 cars annually while Rolex cranks out a million watches. So I'd expect it to be quite a bit more difficult to get my hands on a 488GTB than a mass-produced stainless steel watch.
Rolex will release them all once they exterminate greys.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:18 am

logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
True quantity wise, but Rolex isn't releasing anything right now.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:19 am

logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:

But the comparison was meant to say people put up with b.s. to own something because of a name.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:31 am

toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:

But the comparison was meant to say people put up with b.s. to own something because of a name.
I certainly hope so

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:06 am

Would they refuse to service grey market watches? Do you need proof of purchase to even consider service? Certainly giving me a moment of pause in pursuing the exp1.

Might take another look at other great manufacturers/watches and save a ton in the process.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:17 pm

I'm not saying you should buy a Rolex, and I'm not saying that you shouldn't, but just remember that a lot of stuff that gets reported on the forums with regard to Rolex or a myriad of other watch brands ends up being only partially correct or even wholly incorrect.

Seppia
Name: Andrea

Post by Seppia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Rolex will release them all once they exterminate greys.
If they were releasing enough stuff there would not be grey dealers.
It’s the scarcity that creates them.

Luckily the watches they make today mostly look either straight up terrible or just much worse than the five digit iterations to me (only exception I can think of being the OP in 36-34mm).

If it weren’t for master Wu I would not own a Rolex, I’m not wired to put up with this bullshit.

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:38 am

I've read the original post on TRF several times over, but still have no idea who sold / has / flipped / wants to buy what? :scratch: :scratch:
Regards

Steve

rain_maker
Name: Fred

Post by rain_maker » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:26 am

poppydog wrote:I've read the original post on TRF several times over, but still have no idea who sold / has / flipped / wants to buy what? :scratch: :scratch:
Lol me too
I started to re-read and then decided it wasn’t worth my time.

diver
Name: zach

Rolex will release them all once they exterminate greys. - never

Post by diver » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:36 am

this "shortage", has been there for years, just expanding in models...

they kniw what the're doing, and doing it well. I'd love to be the fly on the wall in their "planning" room