Went to two ADs in Sacramento

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
sierra11b
Name: Eric

Went to two ADs in Sacramento

Post by sierra11b » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:32 pm

... the only two ADs in the area to try on the Exp1 and Z-blue Milgauss. Goose egg on both at both locations. No ExpII, not even a bluesy... I had to resort to trying the 39mm purple dial OP just to get a “feel” for the Exp1. What a mess.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Re: Went to two ADs in Sacramento

Post by ericf4 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:39 pm

its like unicorn hunting......insane
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:44 pm

It's not going to improve for a while I don't think

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:45 pm

forget that shit and Buy a Halios..
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:09 pm

Farer is looking better and better. Been loving their stuff for some time but I really want to try on those Rolex I mentioned.

I don’t understand how this is good business for Rolex? I spent about five total minutes in the stores. One AD had 6 watches and the heavyweight AD in my area had about 20 in <36mm and one 39mm OP in purple.

Dose anyone know if ADs are heavily discounting the non-movers in their cases?

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:29 pm

sierra11b wrote:Farer is looking better and better. Been loving their stuff for some time but I really want to try on those Rolex I mentioned.

I don’t understand how this is good business for Rolex? I spent about five total minutes in the stores. One AD had 6 watches and the heavyweight AD in my area had about 20 in <36mm and one 39mm OP in purple.

I don’t get how dealers aren’t completely pissed off that there are no steel sport watches to sell. It has to be hurting their bottom line. Well, they probably are but what can they do? I’m in Maui and went to the local AD. They did have the new Seadweller in the back but that was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:37 pm

goaliechris wrote:
sierra11b wrote:Farer is looking better and better. Been loving their stuff for some time but I really want to try on those Rolex I mentioned.

I don’t get how dealers aren’t completely pissed off that there are no steel sport watches to sell. It has to be hurting their bottom line. Well, they probably are but what can they do? I’m in Maui and went to the local AD. They did have the new Seadweller in the back but that was it.

Exactly. I’m sure they are pissed, but there’s nothing they can really do. It’s not like they are going to tell Rolex they don’t want to be an AD anymore because they can’t get SS stock.
- Todd

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:48 pm

goaliechris wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:29 pm

They're not pissed. ADs have well organized wait lists for every hot SS model and as soon as they arrive they go to the people on the list. There's just nothing on the shelves to look at.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:48 pm
goaliechris wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:29 pm

They're not pissed. ADs have well organized wait lists for every hot SS model and as soon as they arrive they go to the people on the list. There's just nothing on the shelves to look at.
Makes sense.

Good time to be a return customer who can go in and buy a 36DD or wife watch for a song while waiting.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:00 pm

goaliechris wrote:

No matter what Rolex sends you, it is still more profitable to be a Rolex AD than not. Even if they don’t send you anything at all , or only two tone datejusts, the ability to use the crown on the door draws in traffic - traffic which may be converted into revenue with other brands. Rolex is firing dealers , not the other way around.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:19 pm

blkgsl wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:00 pm
goaliechris wrote:

No matter what Rolex sends you, it is still more profitable to be a Rolex AD than not. Even if they don’t send you anything at all , or only two tone datejusts, the ability to use the crown on the door draws in traffic - traffic which may be converted into revenue with other brands. Rolex is firing dealers , not the other way around.
Yep. It's a loss leader like crab cakes on a menu even though crab may be $25/lb. But that's always been the AD model in the last two decades.

Problem is the customer doesn't come back to the jewelers unless they're smucks. It's not like a $16 crab cake appetizer you can take or leave... It was the restaurant he proposed at, has a great patio, wine list, etc. We only put crab cakes on the menu despite the loss because we know you want them and it's a messily $16 which doesn't look great on P&L, but still make margin. Not so much for $XXXX-XXXXX

Sure, the couple comes in when the man sees the Rolex signage and then has to buy a 2ct ring, but he might get creative the next time around, or do a bit of recon or research knowing they had dick last time.
Last edited by sierra11b on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blkgsl
Herro!!!

Post by blkgsl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:30 pm

sierra11b wrote:
blkgsl wrote:
goaliechris wrote:

Yep. It's a loss leader like crab cakes on a menu even though crab may be $25/lb.

Problem is the customer doesn't come back to the jewelers unless they're smucks. It's not like a $16 crab cake appetizer you can take or leave... It was the restaurant he proposed at, has a great patio, wine list, etc. We only put crab cakes on the menu despite the loss because we know you want them. Not so much for $XXXX-XXXXX

Sure, the couple comes in when the man sees the Rolex signage and then has to buy a 2ct ring, but he might get creative the next time around, or do a bit of recon or research knowing they had dick last time.
Yep, fair point. It is up to the dealer to convert the ring buyers into a “forever” client. That’s the salesmanship component, which was empowered by the crown.

I also learned the crab cakes is a loss leader - I will always order them from now on ! I love dwc - it’s an education and a comedy club in the same location !

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:20 pm

blkgsl wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:30 pm
sierra11b wrote:
blkgsl wrote:
goaliechris wrote:

Yep. It's a loss leader like crab cakes on a menu even though crab may be $25/lb.

Problem is the customer doesn't come back to the jewelers unless they're smucks. It's not like a $16 crab cake appetizer you can take or leave... It was the restaurant he proposed at, has a great patio, wine list, etc. We only put crab cakes on the menu despite the loss because we know you want them. Not so much for $XXXX-XXXXX

Yep, fair point. It is up to the dealer to convert the ring buyers into a “forever” client. That’s the salesmanship component, which was empowered by the crown.

I also learned the crab cakes is a loss leader - I will always order them from now on ! I love dwc - it’s an education and a comedy club in the same location !
It's true.

The difference is the venue, wine list, location, amenities, etc. AKA luxury white table cloth VS. corporate numbers. A corporate venue might pull crab off their menu at that hike, but SF Boulevard will not because of the luxury aspect, and knowing they're going to get money anyway in their other outlets, such as a $200+ bottle of wine or more.

You see, crab cakes are a loss leader but it's a loose term really: Cheesecake factory will pull crab cakes or reduce portion size and throw-in more lettuce or other garnish to reduce the hit. Why? Because A) their corporate chefs see bottom-line numbers as a metric, and B) they have nothing else to offer like a destination white table cloth venue.

But with white table cloth and a good restaurateur, you still make margin if you can look beyond the overall food cost. Most restaurants like to hit 25-28% or less, but if you have a legitimate "loss leader" which makes sense on the menu, it might be at 40-50% cost but you're still making good revenue on top of other bread and butter.

Let's see... Back when I was running the show full lump Maryland crab was ~$20lb me thinks.

Let's say you're selling x2 premium lump crab cakes at 3oz each. You have other ingredients and fillers, clarified butter, etc., but it's minuscule to the crab, unless you're selling a crap cake. You're still at a $6.5-7 profit margin on an appetizer, which might be close to some entrees on the menu even though your food cost is wack, and would not meet the food cost margins of corporate with nothing else to offer, but you're still bringing home the bacon despite bottom-line numbers if you're that "destination"

Rolex is that white table cloth and it seems I've answered my own question. Goodnight. :lol:

blkgsl
Herro!!!

Post by blkgsl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:49 pm

sierra11b wrote:
blkgsl wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:30 pm
sierra11b wrote:
blkgsl wrote:
goaliechris wrote:

It's true.

The difference is the venue, wine list, location, amenities, etc. AKA luxury white table cloth VS. corporate numbers. A corporate venue might pull crab off their menu at that hike, but SF Boulevard will not because of the luxury aspect, and knowing they're going to get money anyway in their other outlets, such as a $200+ bottle of wine or more.

You see, crab cakes are a loss leader but it's a loose term really: Cheesecake factory will pull crab cakes or reduce portion size and throw-in more lettuce or other garnish to reduce the hit. Why? Because A) their corporate chefs see bottom-line numbers as a metric, and B) they have nothing else to offer like a destination white table cloth venue.

But with white table cloth and a good restaurateur, you still make margin if you can look beyond the overall food cost. Most restaurants like to hit 25-28% or less, but if you have a legitimate "loss leader" which makes sense on the menu, it might be at 40-50% cost but you're still making good revenue on top of other bread and butter.

Let's see... Back when I was running the show full lump Maryland crab was ~$20lb me thinks.

Let's say you're selling x2 premium lump crab cakes at 3oz each. You have other ingredients and fillers, clarified butter, etc., but it's minuscule to the crab, unless you're selling a crap cake. You're still at a $6.5-7 profit margin on an appetizer, which might be close to some entrees on the menu even though your food cost is wack, and would not meet the food cost margins of corporate with nothing else to offer, but you're still bringing home the bacon despite bottom-line numbers if you're that "destination"

Rolex is that white table cloth and it seems I've answered my own question. Goodnight. :lol:
Hah - makes total sense. I still want a blue sky dweller ....

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:31 pm

I think it’s a brilliant move on Rolex’s part. And I’m not complaining about the lack of depreciation, and really appreciation, of my Rolex watches.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:24 pm

Zidane wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:31 pm
I think it’s a brilliant move on Rolex’s part. And I’m not complaining about the lack of depreciation, and really appreciation, of my Rolex watches.
I don’t fault you at all, nick. Could have been in your position many times over my if it weren’t for my Rolex flipping over the years . Thankfully, the two watches I’m looking at can still be had without a huge premium.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:06 am

As I’ve said before, they can do it because they’re Rolex.

Non-WIS guy: I really want to buy a Rolex Submariner.

AD: We are happy to sell you one. However, due to its extraordinary popularity, we don’t have any in stock right now. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you how popular Rolex is. Such a great watch; the best, really. We can put you on our waiting list, and we’ll have one for you in 4 months or so. How would that be?

Non-WIS guy: Okay. Disappointing I’ll have to wait, but my heart’s really set on a Rolex.

I’m sure it doesn’t always play out that way, but that’s the power of being one of the most recognized luxury brands in the world.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Continuing to save until I can make a logical choice after seeing all in the flesh, which is something I haven't tried yet, having purchased sight-unseen from trusted sellers.

Wu gave me some good intel on the EXP1, which wears similarly to the OP39 according to him despite it's rounded bezel, which I thought was a tad small, but still in the cards.

I'll give Devon's Stockton and Reno a try in September via work route, although I'm sure it'll be the same results, especially Stockton with Bay Area commuters. Just gotta keep trying.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:02 am

I've owned the 39mm Exp I and the 42mm Exp II. From a comfort/balance perspective, the Exp I is one of the nicest watches I've owned. Semi-matte dial, which makes it pretty understated. Incredibly versatile. If you can live without a date, I honestly can't think of a better watch.

The newer Exp II is definitely on the large size, depending on your wrist. I couldn't get past the size, particularly the larger orange hand, which seemed to jump off my wrist at me (probably just my imagination). I ended up selling it and went with a 40mm model - just a better fit for me. The only downside is the older bracelet, but I've yet to have one fail.

I'm not a huge fan of the Milgauss, but I've never owned one. Just doesn't sing to me, and I hate the PCL's. Definitely try before you buy.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Tried another AD but further south. Great collection of DJs and PM but no Explorer or other non-PM sports models. For what it's worth they had at least four dozen watches and I told the owner he likely had more inventory north of Los Angeles.

They did have the Milgauss Z blue and the Airking. Z-blue was amazing but almost over the top even for someone like me who likes a bit of flash. Airking left me scratching my head.

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Still don’t get the Airking either. Such a weird layout. Sucks not being able to walk into an AD and try on a piece you’ve been thinking about. You won’t be disappointed with an E1. It’s one of my faves. Super comfortable and goes well with anything.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:46 pm

It wasn’t just the dial but the fact it’s essentially a brushed milgauss but not. :scratch:

I was excited to see it at first because i thought it was the same size as the exp1. Didn’t realize because I was never interested enough to research the watch

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:50 pm

smalls wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:04 pm
Still don’t get the Airking either. Such a weird layout.
The AK is a new dial away from being awesome. I hope they eventually offer it with a million different 369 dials like the old versions.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:25 am

I wonder if the shortage is just this part of the world? The AD in Barbados hasn’t had a SS sub for the year meanwhile a friend of mine is in Singapore for the GP and got the following prices for models in the showcase:

Hulk Sub - US$8,882.00
Seadweller - US$11,148.00

He says they also have NDs in stock and is going back to see if they have ceramic Daytona’s.

Imagine being able to walk into a Rolex dealer, choose between a date, no date, green one and a Seadweller, try on all of them and walk out with the one you want!