Gift for the wife need opinions.

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
User avatar
logan2z
IT Admin
Posts: 9836
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 am
Name: Andrew
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by logan2z » Thu May 31, 2018 12:04 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:09 am
Quartz would be a good call or it's going to run down and won't be worn. Visit the AD.
Give the ladies some credit - my wife has an automatic and a manual wind and they're no problem for her. She thinks quartz is "crap" :)

User avatar
BacoNoir
Posts: 2037
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 6:33 pm
Name: Roger
Location: Colorado

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by BacoNoir » Thu May 31, 2018 12:42 pm

logan2z wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:09 am
Quartz would be a good call or it's going to run down and won't be worn. Visit the AD.
Give the ladies some credit - my wife has an automatic and a manual wind and they're no problem for her. She thinks quartz is "crap" :)

I’ve converted my wife too but still can’t get her to change the date on her watches! LOL
Image

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14449
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by ericf4 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:41 pm

I agree. My wife has like 5 shit quartz watches all dead in her drawer. She said she hates having to change the batteries. I think the auto will work great. I pulled the trigger on the Datejust Pink 31mm. I consulted with her sisters and both agreed she will love it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
straps68
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:48 am
Name: Michael
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by straps68 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:41 pm

I think 31mm is a better size for a woman than anything smaller. I think large watches look good on women. Think Beckett (on the TV show Castle) and her 42mm Speedmaster :grin: :thumbsup:
straps68

My strap blog: http://straps68.blogspot.com/

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15007
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Changing a battery is less of a hassle than resetting an automatic after a long weekend of no wear.

Your mind is clearly set.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14563
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:57 pm

straps68 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:41 pm
I think 31mm is a better size for a woman than anything smaller. I think large watches look good on women. Think Beckett (on the TV show Castle) and her 42mm Speedmaster :grin: :thumbsup:
Wtf? Castle in Poland? GTFOH

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14563
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:57 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:41 pm
I agree. My wife has like 5 shit quartz watches all dead in her drawer. She said she hates having to change the batteries. I think the auto will work great. I pulled the trigger on the Datejust Pink 31mm. I consulted with her sisters and both agreed she will love it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Congrats, I'm sure she'll be happy, girls love brand names :thumbsup:

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14449
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by ericf4 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:04 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:Changing a battery is less of a hassle than resetting an automatic after a long weekend of no wear.

Your mind is clearly set.
??? Really? I can't remotely see how a battery change is easier than winding a watch. Serious?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 7143
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by HapaHapa » Thu May 31, 2018 4:52 pm

I was thinking of the watch as another piece of jewelry that would mostly sit in a box. If it's going to be worn daily then ok, go auto. Just commented because my wife wouldn't want to bother with setting it.
The Hapa

User avatar
Grahamcombat
Posts: 4187
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:24 pm
Name: Graham

Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by Grahamcombat » Thu May 31, 2018 4:56 pm

ericf4 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:Changing a battery is less of a hassle than resetting an automatic after a long weekend of no wear.

Your mind is clearly set.
??? Really? I can't remotely see how a battery change is easier than winding a watch. Serious?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
For me, the hassle became setting it every week and changing dates every month...and dealing with the constant - yet random - “my watch isn’t working and I don’t know why”, so I benched the high-end Tudor and got her a quartz Omega. And since then I’ve only replaced a battery and it took 20 mins at the local jeweler.

So yes - on the whole - a totally easier thing.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 30901
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 31, 2018 5:48 pm

Fly her out to spend a weekend with me.

User avatar
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Posts: 14226
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm
Name: Dave
Location: Canada

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by JDC222 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:56 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:48 pm
Fly her out to spend a weekend with me.
Girls shopping weekend? :lol:
Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everybody that you meet.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 30901
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 31, 2018 6:02 pm

JDC222 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:48 pm
Fly her out to spend a weekend with me.
Girls shopping weekend? :lol:
Well, she would get a package....

User avatar
Axelay2003
Posts: 5184
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:03 am
Name: Gerard
Location: City of Oranges, FL

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by Axelay2003 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:28 pm

I forgot to mention that my wife’s dial is salmon. It was between salmon and pink for my wife also, but she ended up choosing salmon. Congrats!
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.
ImageImage

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8262
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by streetracer101 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:07 pm

I'd book an impromptu 3 day vacation and find someone to watch the kids while we go. My wife would prefer that and a $500 quartz to a Rolex any day of the week.

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 7143
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by HapaHapa » Thu May 31, 2018 7:11 pm

streetracer101 wrote:I'd book an impromptu 3 day vacation and find someone to watch the kids while we go. My wife would prefer that and a $500 quartz to a Rolex any day of the week.
Surprise 3 day vacation no kids.
WINNER !
The Hapa

User avatar
pbj204
Posts: 1369
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:47 am
Name: Paul
Location: New York

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by pbj204 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:20 pm

I bought my wife a 31mm datejust with silver dial, rose gold fluted bezel, and two tone rose gold/stainless steel jubilee bracelet. My wife's mother and aunt also have 31mm. I bought all 3 from Takuya.

I don't know why, but they just can't handle the screw down crown. I'm always setting the time for all of them.

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14449
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by ericf4 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:40 pm

streetracer101 wrote:I'd book an impromptu 3 day vacation and find someone to watch the kids while we go. My wife would prefer that and a $500 quartz to a Rolex any day of the week.
Already booked a 7 night cruise. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8262
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by streetracer101 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:43 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:40 pm
streetracer101 wrote:I'd book an impromptu 3 day vacation and find someone to watch the kids while we go. My wife would prefer that and a $500 quartz to a Rolex any day of the week.
Already booked a 7 night cruise. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Now you're just bragging.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 30901
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 31, 2018 8:45 pm

ericf4 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:I'd book an impromptu 3 day vacation and find someone to watch the kids while we go. My wife would prefer that and a $500 quartz to a Rolex any day of the week.
Already booked a 7 night cruise. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I thought I told you I don’t do cruises?

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14449
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by ericf4 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 pm

Oh yeah you " go cruising" but not on ships. Rather highway rest stops.
hoppyjr wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:I'd book an impromptu 3 day vacation and find someone to watch the kids while we go. My wife would prefer that and a $500 quartz to a Rolex any day of the week.
Already booked a 7 night cruise. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I thought I told you I don’t do cruises?
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14449
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by ericf4 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:47 pm

Nah just got that base covered. Although kids are coming with..
streetracer101 wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:40 pm
streetracer101 wrote:I'd book an impromptu 3 day vacation and find someone to watch the kids while we go. My wife would prefer that and a $500 quartz to a Rolex any day of the week.
Already booked a 7 night cruise. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Now you're just bragging.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 30901
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 31, 2018 9:13 pm

ericf4 wrote:Oh yeah you " go cruising" but not on ships. Rather highway rest stops.
hoppyjr wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:I'd book an impromptu 3 day vacation and find someone to watch the kids while we go. My wife would prefer that and a $500 quartz to a Rolex any day of the week.
Already booked a 7 night cruise. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I thought I told you I don’t do cruises?
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Now you’ve confused me with Ben!

I think we need to get you some Prevagin to help with your memory.

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14449
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by ericf4 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:50 am

hoppyjr wrote:
ericf4 wrote:Oh yeah you " go cruising" but not on ships. Rather highway rest stops.
hoppyjr wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:I'd book an impromptu 3 day vacation and find someone to watch the kids while we go. My wife would prefer that and a $500 quartz to a Rolex any day of the week.
Already booked a 7 night cruise. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I thought I told you I don’t do cruises?
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Now you’ve confused me with Ben!

I think we need to get you some Prevagin to help with your memory.
It's hard to not confuse you two.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
Captdave
Posts: 2858
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:15 pm
Name: Dave
Location: To be determined

Re: Gift for the wife need opinions.

Post by Captdave » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:Changing a battery is less of a hassle than resetting an automatic after a long weekend of no wear.

Your mind is clearly set.
??? Really? I can't remotely see how a battery change is easier than winding a watch. Serious?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
For me, the hassle became setting it every week and changing dates every month...and dealing with the constant - yet random - “my watch isn’t working and I don’t know why”, so I benched the high-end Tudor and got her a quartz Omega. And since then I’ve only replaced a battery and it took 20 mins at the local jeweler.

So yes - on the whole - a totally easier thing.
Exactly what we’ve done and for the same reasons. It’s either the Omega constellation or a quartz seiko ladies diver.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests