Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8265
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:35 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
cdnwatchguy wrote:I wonder how good the sales of the SD4k really are. Rolex never makes figures public. No matter how much a bunch of enthusiasts on watch forums may like it if they can spend the time making a watch that sells better and they make more profit they will make changes.
Crappy. You can walk into any AD in the western world and most likely they will have one. The 16600 sold poorly and this one does too.
I believe this. Aside from lack of cyclops, most non-watch dorks probably don't give a damn about He valve or depth rating and just go with 116610. Plus, the non-watch buying public associate Rolex with the submariner, and buying a SD loses that bragging name right. The price difference probably further worsens the lack of desire to buy up to the SD.
I'm the anti-Midas. Any watch I like definitely doesn't sell well. My two favorite modern Rolex - white dialed milgauss (retired) and this new SD.
EXP I probably isn't far behind.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15014
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:40 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
cdnwatchguy wrote:I wonder how good the sales of the SD4k really are. Rolex never makes figures public. No matter how much a bunch of enthusiasts on watch forums may like it if they can spend the time making a watch that sells better and they make more profit they will make changes.
Crappy. You can walk into any AD in the western world and most likely they will have one. The 16600 sold poorly and this one does too.
I believe this. Aside from lack of cyclops, most non-watch dorks probably don't give a damn about He valve or depth rating and just go with 116610. Plus, the non-watch buying public associate Rolex with the submariner, and buying a SD loses that bragging name right. The price difference probably further worsens the lack of desire to buy up to the SD.
I'm the anti-Midas. Any watch I like definitely doesn't sell well. My two favorite modern Rolex - white dialed milgauss (retired) and this new SD.
EXP I probably isn't far behind.
That one clearly wasn't selling in its t-rex guise.

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5463
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by dnslater » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 pm

marchone wrote:Serious question? Why do you guys have dive watches if you don't use the bezels?

:scratch: :doh: :snooty: :raised:
I generally time things that can be rounded to minutes. My cooking isn't that precise. Never found any issues with 60 clickers.

User avatar
smalls
Posts: 5049
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 am
Name: Matt
Location: South Carolina

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by smalls » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Favorite watch I've owned. Very happy with the size and would be disappointed to see it go larger. Pelagos isn't even in the same league imo.

Image

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14601
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:26 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
marchone wrote:Serious question? Why do you guys have dive watches if you don't use the bezels?

:scratch:
I time all sorts of stuff - just not stuff that +/-30 seconds matters.
+1

User avatar
marchone
Capt. Obvious
Posts: 14846
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:30 am
Name: Wayne
Location: NYC

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by marchone » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:30 pm

But you said you don't use one at all!
only accurate watches are interesting

User avatar
mikeylacroix
Posts: 3689
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:00 am
Name: Mike

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by mikeylacroix » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:38 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
marchone wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
marchone wrote:120-clicks vs 60 for one detail alone.
Am I the imply person who prefers 60 clicks?
If you don't care about a half minute you are, yes.
I couldn't give a shit less about 30 seconds on a dive bezel. If I want to time something precisely the ezm1, Daytona, or speedmaster are a million times better.
And then, there's always *gasp* your phone for those times you actually want precision. :)
I prefer 60 clickers as well, but my ultimate preference is for 59 click bezels.
6year wait for one

User avatar
greenlightning
The Dude
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:30 pm
Name: Kris
Location: Texas

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by greenlightning » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:46 pm

I can't remember the last time I wore a dive watch and didn't time something. I wear a chrono to time things that seconds matter, and I actually use the striking tenth to time to the tenth of a second fairly often

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by dukerules » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 pm

I love Rolex, but there's something refreshing about the Pelagos. Hard to argue that the 116600 isn't objectively better in most ways, but there actually are a few aspects of the Pelagos I find superior--matte bezel, matte dial, chamfers, 42mm case, and titanium are all things I really love about this watch. That said, I am a huge sea-dweller fan, and lust after the 116600.

User avatar
smalls
Posts: 5049
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 am
Name: Matt
Location: South Carolina

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by smalls » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:09 pm

I really like the Pelagos as well but find that it just doesn't have the character of the SD and I grew bored with it quickly both times I owned it. I think it's mostly because it's just so monotone. Some people prefer it for just that reason. Visibility is far better on the Peli.

Image

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14601
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:10 pm

marchone wrote:But you said you don't use one at all!
I don't, I use my head just like I don't need a damn GMT watch to add and subtract 3,4,5,6 whatever hours, and if I time something less than a minute I just use a second hand and again use my head.

I shake my head when people pull out a calculator adding and subtracting double digit numbers, just sad

User avatar
r.palace
Posts: 6559
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Tray-O-Five

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by r.palace » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Pelagos vs SD is subjective.

One is flashy, one is not. The latter doesn't mean quality over the Pelagos.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

User avatar
hoppes-no9
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 am
Name: Dan
Location: Maryland

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by hoppes-no9 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:06 pm

hoppyjr wrote: I wouldn't kick a 42mm version out of bed, but I'm content with the 40.
Great way to put it. The SD is fine just where it is at 40mm, especially given the thickness. Despite being a "man of size", I've realized 40-42mm is my sweet spot. Too bad it took me the better part of a decade to figure that out.....

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5463
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by dnslater » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:29 am

Interesting that this thread evolved into a SD4k vs Pelagos discussion. I have often thought if I were to replace my Pelagos as my daily, it would be for the SD 16600. Has anyone owned both? My fear is that I would miss the modern features on the Pelagos. The glossy Rolex ceramic models are too blingy for my taste. I find them extremely attractive, just too much shine for me to wear. I'm introverted and prefer to draw less attention.

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by dukerules » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:37 am

I have both. Totally different IMO. The 16600 feels like a modern watch to me, but doesn't have the maxi dial and hands of both the 116600 and the Pelagos. Also, the bracelet is an old school Rolex Oyster, without any on-the-fly adjustment capability. That said, it's a much better one-watch then the Pelagos IMO. Awesomely versatile.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14601
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:43 am

It's a classic, it was MSRP at less than Pelagos is stickered at today:
Very hard to compare, for an OG owner that still has it it probably comes with memories and charm, nostalgia and memories how it was probably your first expensive diver you fell in love with and all other drivers used to measure up to...
All that aside it's like comparing a 2001 M3 to 2016 M3, Pelagos and SDC run circles around old SD

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5463
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by dnslater » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:45 am

dukerules wrote:I have both. Totally different IMO. The 16600 feels like a modern watch to me, but doesn't have the maxi dial and hands of both the 116600 and the Pelagos. Also, the bracelet is an old school Rolex Oyster, without any on-the-fly adjustment capability. That said, it's a much better one-watch then the Pelagos IMO. Awesomely versatile.
Thanks. How does it wear compared to the Pelagos? I would prefer the Pelagos to be about 10% smaller.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15014
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:56 am

The 16600 wears tall and small.

User avatar
mikeylacroix
Posts: 3689
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:00 am
Name: Mike

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by mikeylacroix » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:57 am

dnslater wrote:Interesting that this thread evolved into a SD4k vs Pelagos discussion. I have often thought if I were to replace my Pelagos as my daily, it would be for the SD 16600. Has anyone owned both? My fear is that I would miss the modern features on the Pelagos. The glossy Rolex ceramic models are too blingy for my taste. I find them extremely attractive, just too much shine for me to wear. I'm introverted and prefer to draw less attention.
I had both.
Kept this
Image

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by dukerules » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:47 am

They wear totally differently. Interestingly, the lug-to-lug is nearly identical:
Image
And here with an older Submariner case:
Image
But on the wrist, the 16600 wears like an absolute dream:
Image
While the Pelagos wears large on my skinny wrist:
Image

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 31116
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:20 am

I always found the Pelagos to "wear larger" and have a wrist presence similar to my PO XL. The SD4k is smaller in diameter, but it's overall thickness-weight-proportions make it feel perfect, even on my 8" wrist. It also took me about 12-14 years to get back to 40-42mm watches as my "sweet spot" but I used to wear a Tag 2000 as my "one watch" for years, and I'm pretty sure it was 38mm.

ImageImage

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 27620
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by matt.wu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:35 am

Damn it. Why did I sell my SDC?
:htfu:

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15014
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:55 am

matt.wu wrote:Damn it. Why did I sell my SDC?
Shiny new object syndrome- we all have it.

User avatar
hoppes-no9
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 am
Name: Dan
Location: Maryland

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by hoppes-no9 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:39 am

matt.wu wrote:Damn it. Why did I sell my SDC?

Bwwwwaaahahaaahahaaaaahaaaaaaaa :bananastoner:

User avatar
marchone
Capt. Obvious
Posts: 14846
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:30 am
Name: Wayne
Location: NYC

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by marchone » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:51 am

M@ only said it was the best dive watch he'd tried.
only accurate watches are interesting

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest