Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
Panerai7
Name: Art

Re: Rumor Mill......SD4k content.

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:28 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:Why not? Both made by Rolex :) I've played with SDC several times and do own its bigger, more tech brother DSSD. And from my personal experience there's nothing but shine that separates them now that Pelagos has an in-house Tudor/Rolex movement. IMHO of course YMMV
Obviously they look different if that's what how you compare them
I'm not sure that modern Tudor really is made by Rolex. I haven't seen anything to suggest that cases or bracelet links are made in house. I suspect they're more Omega than Rolex when it comes to sourcing. Who knows though?
Of course if anyone can evidence that Rolex had Tudor make their watches in China and then stamp them Swiss Made then all bets are off.
For now I'd like to think of it as a Toyota Land Cruiser vs Lexus LX570. Lexus just has better wood trim panels and costs 10K more :)

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:00 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:I'm not sure that modern Tudor really is made by Rolex. I haven't seen anything to suggest that cases or bracelet links are made in house. I suspect they're more Omega than Rolex when it comes to sourcing. Who knows though?
Do you have any evidence either way? Rolex is an incredibly vertically integrated company, so I would be surprised if they didn't keep it in house. If Sinn can make the U1 case in Germany on a $2k watch, Tudor can do it in Switzerland on a $4k watch.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:05 pm

dnslater wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:I'm not sure that modern Tudor really is made by Rolex. I haven't seen anything to suggest that cases or bracelet links are made in house. I suspect they're more Omega than Rolex when it comes to sourcing. Who knows though?
Do you have any evidence either way? Rolex is an incredibly vertically integrated company, so I would be surprised if they didn't keep it in house. If Sinn can make the U1 case in Germany on a $2k watch, Tudor can do it in Switzerland on a $4k watch.
Nobody has evidence either way - that's kind of the point. Yet everyone assumes the best withTudor and the worst with everyone else.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:18 pm

I read Art's point as how public perception would be different if the Pelagos wore the Rolex crown.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:19 pm

Panerai7 wrote:Why not? Both made by Rolex :) I've played with SDC several times and do own its bigger, more tech brother DSSD. And from my personal experience there's nothing but shine that separates them now that Pelagos has an in-house Tudor/Rolex movement. IMHO of course YMMV
It's subjective, but I prefer the bezel action and raised crystal on the SDc. Case finish and design is better thought out ergonomically (no slab sides). SDc has a much better bracelet (both because of the taper and clasp) and is more versatile on the wrist. Obviously imo. I still love the Pelagos, but it's more of a niche watch whereas the SDc could easily be my only watch.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:21 pm

hoppyjr wrote:I read Art's point as how public perception would be different if the Pelagos wore the Rolex crown.
Right, with a Rolex crown it'd be advertised as a 12K watch, I bet TRF would scream revolutionary WOW :lol:

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:26 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
It's subjective, but I prefer the bezel action and raised crystal on the SDc. Case finish and design is better thought out ergonomically (no slab sides). SDc has a much better bracelet (both because of the taper and clasp) and is more versatile on the wrist. Obviously imo. I still love the Pelagos, but it's more of a niche watch whereas the SDc could easily be my only watch.

Oh sure aesthetically you can prefer one over the other and taper over no taper ( I personally hate tapered bracelet on my DSSD - too narrow at the clasp) Raised glass over even with bezel, shiny bezel vs matte bezel. I was just saying in terms of quality, fit and finish and under the assumption that Rolex does make Tudor Pelagos you could compare them as the watches of the same caliber. I prefer my DSSD in certain settings over Pelagos and vice versa, but when I wear either I don't feel like I stepped up or stepped down.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

Oh sure aesthetically you can prefer one over the other and taper over no taper ( I personally hate tapered bracelet on my DSSD - too narrow at the clasp) Raised glass over even with bezel, shiny bezel vs matte bezel. I was just saying in terms of quality, fit and finish and under the assumption that Rolex does make Tudor Pelagos you could compare them as the watches of the same caliber. I prefer my DSSD in certain settings over Pelagos and vice versa, but when I wear either I don't feel like I stepped up or stepped down.
I think a better comparison is the SM300 coax (exception being the date function) or maybe a PO with liquid metal bezel.
While the Pelagos doesn't feel cheap or inferior per say, it doesn't give me that expensive feel either. The SDc gives me that vibe to a degree, but even as an owner I'll admit that it doesn't feel like I feel a $7k plus watch to me.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:06 pm

120-clicks vs 60 for one detail alone.
only accurate watches are interesting

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:23 pm

marchone wrote:120-clicks vs 60 for one detail alone.
Am I the imply person who prefers 60 clicks?

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Back to if Tudor actually makes their own stuff. Does it seem reasonable that Rolex would in source ceramic case making just for that ugly black shield watch and then sell it so cheaply? Possible, but why?

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:35 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
If you don't care about a half minute you are, yes.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:38 pm

marchone wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
I couldn't give a shit less about 30 seconds on a dive bezel. If I want to time something precisely the ezm1, Daytona, or speedmaster are a million times better.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:47 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
marchone wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
I couldn't give a shit less about 30 seconds on a dive bezel. If I want to time something precisely the ezm1, Daytona, or speedmaster are a million times better.
And then, there's always *gasp* your phone for those times you actually want precision. :)
:htfu:

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:48 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
marchone wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wayne brings up that point about the clicks. And every time he does I think to myself I don't remember when was the last time I rotated a bezel on any watch. Maybe it's a chef thing to time hard boiled eggs or something Wayne? :)

I remember now, it was when I tried to unsuccefully line up the bezel on a Turtle, lol

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:50 pm

matt.wu wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
marchone wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
And then, there's always *gasp* your phone for those times you actually want precision. :)
I prefer 60 clickers as well, but my ultimate preference is for 59 click bezels.

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Phone clocks are always off by a few seconds. They're honestly no better than a good mechanical watch. Except for a synced app anyway.

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Panerai7 wrote:Wayne brings up that point about the clicks. And every time he does I think to myself I don't remember when was the last time I rotated a bezel on any watch. Maybe it's a chef thing to time hard boiled eggs or something Wayne? :)
Yup. I relied on good dive watches at work for a couple plus decades. Good ones are sturdy and useful. Commercial kitchens are hard on watches. Now my use is more casual so maybe more habit since. Greater precision makes for a better timepiece.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:58 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
marchone wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
I prefer 60 clickers as well, but my ultimate preference is for 59 click bezels.
Beat me to it.
- Todd

cdnwatchguy
Name: Keith

Post by cdnwatchguy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:13 pm

I wonder how good the sales of the SD4k really are. Rolex never makes figures public. No matter how much a bunch of enthusiasts on watch forums may like it if they can spend the time making a watch that sells better and they make more profit they will make changes.
cheers,

Keith

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:15 pm

cdnwatchguy wrote:I wonder how good the sales of the SD4k really are. Rolex never makes figures public. No matter how much a bunch of enthusiasts on watch forums may like it if they can spend the time making a watch that sells better and they make more profit they will make changes.
Crappy. You can walk into any AD in the western world and most likely they will have one. The 16600 sold poorly and this one does too.

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Serious question? Why do you guys have dive watches if you don't use the bezels?

:scratch: :doh: :snooty: :raised:
Last edited by marchone on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:16 pm

marchone wrote:Serious question? Why do you guys have dive watches if you don't use the bezels?

:scratch:
I time all sorts of stuff - just not stuff that +/-30 seconds matters.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:27 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
cdnwatchguy wrote:I wonder how good the sales of the SD4k really are. Rolex never makes figures public. No matter how much a bunch of enthusiasts on watch forums may like it if they can spend the time making a watch that sells better and they make more profit they will make changes.
Crappy. You can walk into any AD in the western world and most likely they will have one. The 16600 sold poorly and this one does too.
I believe this. Aside from lack of cyclops, most non-watch dorks probably don't give a damn about He valve or depth rating and just go with 116610. Plus, the non-watch buying public associate Rolex with the submariner, and buying a SD loses that bragging name right. The price difference probably further worsens the lack of desire to buy up to the SD.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:31 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
I believe this. Aside from lack of cyclops, most non-watch dorks probably don't give a damn about He valve or depth rating and just go with 116610. Plus, the non-watch buying public associate Rolex with the submariner, and buying a SD loses that bragging name right. The price difference probably further worsens the lack of desire to buy up to the SD.
I'm the anti-Midas. Any watch I like definitely doesn't sell well. My two favorite modern Rolex - white dialed milgauss (retired) and this new SD.