Rolex warranty voided!

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
PGERRITY
Name: Pat

Re: Rolex warranty voided!

Post by PGERRITY » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:48 pm

logan2z wrote:Rolex does some really odd things. I was recently reading a thread on another forum about Rolex ADs who won't let customers keep the hang tags that come with their watches and require them to remove the stickers from the cases before they are allowed to take the watches home. Bizarre.
This happened to me, but it was unique to each watch. I bought a Hulk and a BLNR at the same time from an AD. I was allowed to have the Hulk with the stickers intact, but the BLNR could not leave the store with them, and further the AD had to take pictures of the watch without the stickers to send back to Rolex proving they were removed. This is first hand. Said it had to do with demand and selling for premiums on the grey market. Craziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:08 pm

PGERRITY wrote:
logan2z wrote:Rolex does some really odd things. I was recently reading a thread on another forum about Rolex ADs who won't let customers keep the hang tags that come with their watches and require them to remove the stickers from the cases before they are allowed to take the watches home. Bizarre.
This happened to me, but it was unique to each watch. I bought a Hulk and a BLNR at the same time from an AD. I was allowed to have the Hulk with the stickers intact, but the BLNR could not leave the store with them, and further the AD had to take pictures of the watch without the stickers to send back to Rolex proving they were removed. This is first hand. Said it had to do with demand and selling for premiums on the grey market. Craziness.
So this is not a UK-only practice. I would wait until they remove the stickers and then say "you know what, I've changed my mind, I don't want the watch any longer". If their argument for not allowing you to do that is that the watch is now 'used' and has diminished value then I'd explain to them that I don't want a brand new watch, that hasn't even left the AD yet, with diminished value either.

This is a truly ridiculous practice.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:17 pm

You little rebel hehe

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Panerai7 wrote:You little rebel hehe
I'm just allergic to stupid :)

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:27 pm

logan2z wrote:
I say they haven't made a stupid move yet that's why their watches are sold closer than anyone to MSRP and have the best resale. But I agree this is BS they're dictating what I do with my watch and stickers. Some ADs are requiring engraving in order to buy Daytona? Now this warranty move.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:35 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:
I say they haven't made a stupid move yet that's why their watches are sold closer than anyone to MSRP and have the best resale. But I agree this is BS they're dictating what I do with my watch and stickers. Some ADs are requiring engraving in order to buy Daytona? Now this warranty move.
The problem is that people desperate to get this or that "limited" Rolex model let them get away with it. If every Daytona buyer told their AD to stuff it when they told them they needed to have their watch engraved then that practice would end in a big hurry.

Can you imagine a company like Porsche forcing the buyer of a limited production GT3 RS to engrave his name on the door of his car so that he couldn't flip it easily? It's unfathomable.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:05 pm

logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:
The problem is that people desperate to get this or that "limited" Rolex model let them get away with it. If every Daytona buyer told their AD to stuff it when they told them they needed to have their watch engraved then that practice would end in a big hurry.

Can you imagine a company like Porsche forcing the buyer of a limited production GT3 RS to engrave his name on the door of his car so that he couldn't flip it easily? It's unfathomable.
What do you have think happens when you flip a limited Ferrari? If you don't sell back to the dealer, no more allocations for you.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:27 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:

What do you have think happens when you flip a limited Ferrari? If you don't sell back to the dealer, no more allocations for you.
That's true, Porsche does the same thing - without requiring you to deface your car. So why doesn't Rolex implement a similar policy? Or how about this:

Require the owner of a watch to register a watch sale with Rolex in order for the warranty to carry forward. That way Rolex and the ADs are aware of the selling habits of a particular buyer and they can choose whether or not to allocate them a limited watch in the future based on this information. If you don't register the sale, the warranty will not transfer which, presumably, will make the watch hard to resell.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:48 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Some ADs are requiring engraving in order to buy Daytona? Now this warranty move.
I'd tell them to shove it and spend my money elsewhere.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:40 pm

logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:

That's true, Porsche does the same thing - without requiring you to deface your car. So why doesn't Rolex implement a similar policy? Or how about this:

Require the owner of a watch to register a watch sale with Rolex in order for the warranty to carry forward. That way Rolex and the ADs are aware of the selling habits of a particular buyer and they can choose whether or not to allocate them a limited watch in the future based on this information. If you don't register the sale, the warranty will not transfer which, presumably, will make the watch hard to resell.
That would be a nightmare given that Rolex sells over a million units a year. There's no doubt that Rolex isn't the most consumer friendly brand. You can't even buy a stupid green bezel insert and get it shipped to you.

My point stands though - when demand exceeds supply brands do all sorts of crappy stuff. Rolex may be pretty unique in the watch space, but they're not meaningfully different than other high demand brands. Patek makes you apply to buy watches! That's possible at 50,000 units a year.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:07 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:

That would be a nightmare given that Rolex sells over a million units a year. There's no doubt that Rolex isn't the most consumer friendly brand. You can't even buy a stupid green bezel insert and get it shipped to you.

My point stands though - when demand exceeds supply brands do all sorts of crappy stuff. Rolex may be pretty unique in the watch space, but they're not meaningfully different than other high demand brands. Patek makes you apply to buy watches! That's possible at 50,000 units a year.
GO makes 10,000 watches a year and AP makes 30,000 and neither made me beg them to buy one. Maybe they're not in high enough demand :shrug: I guess I just prefer to deal with brands that don't make me bend over backwards or agree to a bunch of silly stipulations in order to make a purchase.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:20 pm

logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:

GO makes 10,000 watches a year and AP makes 30,000 and neither made me beg them to buy one. Maybe they're not in high enough demand :shrug: I guess I just prefer to deal with brands that don't make me bend over backwards or agree to a bunch of silly stipulations in order to make a purchase.
I totally get it. AP might have a watch as in demand as the new Daytona, but it's not one of the regular RO/ROC type of models - probably one of the huge ugly experimental (or whatever they call them).

I really like GO. I wish they offered their better dress designs in the 35mm range.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:33 am

First world problems ;)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:22 am

logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:

-------------------------------------

Buy a new a GO and the try and sell it...Maybe what they are doing sucks but it's fairly meaningless to the average wealthy dude (non WUS) looking to buy...In fact, it's probably a selling point.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:36 am

jimyritz wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:

Buy a new a GO and the try and sell it...Maybe what they are doing sucks but it's fairly meaningless to the average wealthy dude (non WUS) looking to buy...In fact, it's probably a selling point.
No argument about the relative value retention of Rolex and brands like GO. But I buy what I like to wear and don't base my purchasing decisions on resale value. Hopefully the money lost if/when I do sell is somewhat offset by the enjoyment I got out of the watch.

I'm not sure very many people - WIS or Non-WIS - would be happy about being forced to engrave their new watch before they're allowed to take it home. But maybe this really is a non-issue for most people.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:32 am

logan2z wrote:
jimyritz wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:
------------

No argument about the relative value retention of Rolex and brands like GO. But I buy what I like to wear and don't base my purchasing decisions on resale value. Hopefully the money lost if/when I do sell is somewhat offset by the enjoyment I got out of the watch.

I'm not sure very many people - WIS or Non-WIS - would be happy about being forced to engrave their new watch before they're allowed to take it home. But maybe this really is a non-issue for most people.
the engraving part is nuts....some places get 1 or 2 Daytona's...there will always be someone to buy...I hear you. :thumbsup:

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:51 pm

If this is true, then fuck Rolex. What a bunch of a-holes. So what, someone gets a Rolex as a gift and sorry, warranty is void! Or any other legitimate scenario?

Maybe if they just adjusted their prices to reasonable levels people wouldn't go through forum or grey dealers to get them.

Why not just say there IS no warranty? Since they only seem to care and cater to the super rich anyway. Who needs a warranty? Jeeves, it seems my Rolex has stopped. Go fetch another one from the market.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:19 pm

It's really a moot point for me. I have a great relationship with an AD who will come pretty close to matching grey market prices for me unless it's a hard to acquire Rolex. Anyone looking for a new Rolex, shoot me a PM and I can ask about pricing for you.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:55 pm

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:42 pm

If they truly make you engrave a watch when you buy it- that's insane. No thanks, no matter how bad I wanted it I would spend it on a brand that doesn't make the customer jump through hoops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak: