Re: Rolex warranty voided!

Post by MikeyLikesIt » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:07 pm

Good for them

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:33 pm

interesting - so all the forums sellers saying their rolex for sale is "under warranty" is pointless going forward, right?

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:34 pm

I think it's BS when a company won't honor warranty simply if the watch is sold to another owner. The warranty is on the item and that it should meet a level of quality regardless of who owns it.

Sent from my Moto Z Force
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:35 pm

rockmastermike wrote:interesting - so all the forums sellers saying their rolex for sale is "under warranty" is pointless going forward, right?
Right, Frederico said he called Dallas/NY RSC and they both confirmed it.

blowfish89

Post by blowfish89 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:37 pm

Even more reason to buy older watches. Rely on a good independent watchmaker.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Full warranty - look it up.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:58 am

I don't buy from AD's and usually buy watches beyond their warranty anyway, but there are two scenarios here: 1) if the watch was originally bought from an AD and then resold; in which case I believe they should honor the warranty or 2) if the watch was sold (new) from a gray market dealer, in which case I would be on Rolex's side of the argument.

When Frederico says it is "100% non-transferable", does that apply my first scenario or the second - or both? :think:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

PGERRITY
Name: Pat

Post by PGERRITY » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:08 am

Panerai looked up my serial number, saw that it was still under warranty under a different name and simply changed it to my name and did the warranty work. No hassle. New warranty under my name, gave me a new respect for Panerai. That's how you do it. :grin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:29 am

Doesn't apply to Tudor, at least not yet. Sent in my Pelagos a few weeks back and no such BS
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:39 am

Not a big deal IMO. If you buy grey market or preowned (and still under warranty), you are probably getting a good deal and should be able to cover the cost of a service

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:50 am

deepcdvr wrote:I don't buy from AD's and usually buy watches beyond their warranty anyway, but there are two scenarios here: 1) if the watch was originally bought from an AD and then resold; in which case I believe they should honor the warranty or 2) if the watch was sold (new) from a gray market dealer, in which case I would be on Rolex's side of the argument.

When Frederico says it is "100% non-transferable", does that apply my first scenario or the second - or both? :think:
==========

Both Paul---if you bring your Rolex to an AD for service- the green card w/your name on it has to be on file at Rolex to have the warranty cover it.
if I bought the watch from an AD new and then sold to you--you don't get the warranty...

foodle

Post by foodle » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:05 am

What about cases in which the watch is given as a gift? I would assume this is a pretty common scenario for Rolex watches.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:07 am

I spoke to the Dallas service center last week and they said the warranty is transferrable as long as the watch was bought from an AD.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:13 am

Rolex does some really odd things. I was recently reading a thread on another forum about Rolex ADs who won't let customers keep the hang tags that come with their watches and require them to remove the stickers from the cases before they are allowed to take the watches home. Bizarre.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:15 am

foodle wrote:What about cases in which the watch is given as a gift? I would assume this is a pretty common scenario for Rolex watches.
Yep, I actually said that I bought the watch from a close friend, and that I could have him ship the watch if necessary.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:17 am

foodle wrote:What about cases in which the watch is given as a gift? I would assume this is a pretty common scenario for Rolex watches.
I don't think people should be going crazy with this. The Rolex warranty is a full warranty and full warranty's follow the item - this is the law. Per the instruction book, there are three conditions that must be met for a RUSA warranty to be valid:
1) Originally bought from an AD
2) Warranty properly filled out (AD info and someone's name)
3) No third party intervention

The "third party intervention" means, strictly speaking, that a watch bought through a forum seller doesn't have a warranty, but how would they know? Just don't tell them. As far as buying off a person? Just say it was a gift. Nowhere on their warranty form does it say that the name must match yours. If you find a willing AD you could have them enter "Dick Head" as the name.

The international warranty is even more lax:
1) Bought from an AD
2) Sold to a consumer

Any sort of bad behavior here is RUSA (who sucks), not Rolex SA. I think RUSA is running up against the wrong side of the legal definition of a full warranty, and would probably lose a lawsuit - just like they did on the import ban. I wish Jeff were here, since this is right up his alley.
Last edited by JP Chestnut on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:18 am

logan2z wrote:Rolex does some really odd things. I was recently reading a thread on another forum about Rolex ADs who won't let customers keep the hang tags that come with their watches and require them to remove the stickers from the cases before they are allowed to take the watches home. Bizarre.
Rolex is attacking the grey market buyers. They've been all over their AD's, now they're going at it from the consumer end.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:37 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:Rolex does some really odd things. I was recently reading a thread on another forum about Rolex ADs who won't let customers keep the hang tags that come with their watches and require them to remove the stickers from the cases before they are allowed to take the watches home. Bizarre.
Rolex is attacking the grey market buyers. They've been all over their AD's, now they're going at it from the consumer end.
The grey market problem is an AD problem and I can see why Rolex would want to attack that. But if I'm a consumer who buys one Rolex every year or two (so clearly not a grey market buyer) I don't want to be told what I can and can't do with the watch that I've paid for.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:43 am

logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
The grey market problem is an AD problem and I can see why Rolex would want to attack that. But if I'm a consumer who buys one Rolex every year or two (so clearly not a grey market buyer) I don't want to be told what I can and can't do with the watch that I've paid for.
I partially agree with you. Have you actually heard of this happening in the USA? I've only heard about it in the UK.

Really though, if it's a "Rolex policy" to remove stickers upon sale, those are the conditions of the sale. You're not being forced to buy, you're being offered the opportunity to buy - sans stickers. The only crappy situation would be that you buy, they take off the stickers, you get pissed and don't want it, and then they don't issue a refund. Has that happened? If not, I don't see stickergate being a big deal for guys who actually want to buy a watch to wear.

With all that said, I'd prefer stickers and I'd be bummed if I didn't get them. Bummed enough to walk away? Not sure.

On edit - you could say that you're paying for a watch, not stickers.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:51 am

JP Chestnut wrote:Have you actually heard of this happening in the USA? I've only heard about it in the UK.
So far I've only read about this happening in the UK, so maybe something specific to that market.
JP Chestnut wrote: On edit - you could say that you're paying for a watch, not stickers.
By that argument they could keep the box too - you're buying the watch, not the box ;) I think the general expectation is that you're paying for the whole package - hang tags, boxes, papers, stickers, etc.

I doubt I'd walk away from a deal over this either, but it would leave a sour taste in my mouth and could affect my future buying decisions.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:53 am

I view it more akin to the shipping coffin or bezel protector, but it's definitely a loss for the consumer - no way to view it any other way. It's simply a question of how reasonable it is to assume that you get all the little BS parts. :cheers:

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:24 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:It's simply a question of how reasonable it is to assume that you get all the little BS parts. :cheers:
Well I haven't heard of any other manufacturer or it's representatives doing anything like this so I'd say it's a pretty reasonable assumption.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:33 pm

logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:It's simply a question of how reasonable it is to assume that you get all the little BS parts. :cheers:
Well I haven't heard of any other manufacturer or it's representatives doing anything like this so I'd say it's a pretty reasonable assumption.
I've most definitely heard of car dealers not allowing the buyer to take the car prior to dealer prep, so it's not unprecedented.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:52 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
logan2z wrote:
I've most definitely heard of car dealers not allowing the buyer to take the car prior to dealer prep, so it's not unprecedented.
I was referring to watch manufacturers/dealers. Regardless, I don't think the PDI is a great analogy here. I do know many people who have taken delivery of their cars before the dealer prep so that they could safely transport the car with protective plastic in place to a paint protection film installer. But the PDI is done so that the dealer can ensure the car is cleaned up and ready for presentation to the buyer. We know that's not the reason behind the Rolex shenanigans.