Explorer 1 vs Milgauss

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
kempoman

Explorer 1 vs Milgauss

Post by kempoman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:51 pm

Gents, I am not a Rolex man and my recent searches in the secondary market an Explorer 1 is more expensive than a Milgauss (non GV model). I thought the other way round is true.
Pls enlighten.
Watch collector since 1989

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Re: Explorer 1 vs Milgauss

Post by JBZ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:07 am

To me it comes down to aesthetics. Personally, I prefer the Explorer, but I don't think you really sacrifice anything significant by going with one over the other. The anti-magnetic properties of the Milgauss are probably less relevant now given the blue parachrome hairspring Rolex uses. If you do work in a place with a lot of magnetic conditions, I guess it would still be better to go with the Milgauss.

I think the Milgauss still uses the 3131 movement, which doesn't incorporate the newer shock absorption system present in the 3132 (which is only used in the 39mm Exp - the 36mm still uses the 3130). That said, all three are very solid movements.

A lot of people don't like the shorter minute hand on the 39mm Exp. The Milgauss has a bit more "bling" with polished lugs and center links.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:21 am

I just think more people prefer the Exp...

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:29 am

Based on the looks I like the Explorer better.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:34 am

Old stuff? Explorer

New stuff? Milgauss (Darin's is hot....)
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:28 am

I had a Mille-Loved it for about a week then for whatever reason I couldn't flip it fast enough.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:38 am

If I was in the market I'd happily go for either one, they are much more my style these days over divers. It started with my field watch kick a year or so ago. They both have great details and while the Explorer is so perfectly balanced and traditional style wise, I think the Milgauss has more unique features. The green hue from the edge of the crystal is awesome. Honestly the only thing I don't like about the Milgauss is the seconds hand. I get the reasoning for it, but sometimes it seems funky to me.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:54 am

I've just never liked the milgauss and that weird second hand. I'd take an EXP all day long over it. My two cents.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

4pfrench
Name: Paul

Post by 4pfrench » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:55 am

And I'm just the opposite...have the GV and and love everything about it. I couldn't imagine getting rid of it...

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:18 am

I had the non-GV Milgauss and really enjoyed it. It was versatile and got me a ton of compliments. I ultimately was driven crazy by the polished center links and clasp and for a while wore it on straps and nato before I sold it. If I ever own another which is possible I would have the bracelet brushed. It was a nice under the radar Rolex. Having said that I would love to own an Explorer one day as well. You can't go wrong with either. Deals are out there for both models if you take the time and decide which is for you.
Regards
Barry

blowfish89

Post by blowfish89 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:43 am

I love love love the Milgauss, certainly much more than the Explorer - my pick is the black dial GV version. The Milgauss is a little flashy, the blue dial makes it even more so, but I really like the green crystal (without the GV crystal, the regular black dial Milgauss loses its appeal for me). I am not surprised that the non-GV Milgauss and the Explorer I are around the same price - the white Milgauss must be the cheapest.
I picked a vintage Sub and I would happily pick a MilgaussGV instead of it on another day - maybe in the future.

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:44 am

i have the milgauss, would have bought the 39mm Exp when they were first announced but yes, the short minute hand (same length as the one on the 36mm version) is a deal-breaker for me.

i love the milgauss, the seconds hand doesn't bother me one bit. would prefer the center-links brushed, but i don't think the milgauss is anywhere near blingy. great watch that i bought new and have never looked back.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:02 pm

The Milgauss strikes me as a very cool watch for adding variety to a reasonably big stable of rotating wearers.

The explorer I is a damn good candidate for a single, daily wear watch.

That's the difference.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:34 pm

I borrowed a 39mm E1 a while back and I couldn't take it off

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:45 pm

Sidheguitarist wrote:The Milgauss strikes me as a very cool watch for adding variety to a reasonably big stable of rotating wearers.

That's the difference.
Pretty much what I'm doing.

kempoman

Post by kempoman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:18 pm

JBZ wrote:To me it comes down to aesthetics. Personally, I prefer the Explorer, but I don't think you really sacrifice anything significant by going with one over the other. The anti-magnetic properties of the Milgauss are probably less relevant now given the blue parachrome hairspring Rolex uses. If you do work in a place with a lot of magnetic conditions, I guess it would still be better to go with the Milgauss.

I think the Milgauss still uses the 3131 movement, which doesn't incorporate the newer shock absorption system present in the 3132 (which is only used in the 39mm Exp - the 36mm still uses the 3130). That said, all three are very solid movements.

A lot of people don't like the shorter minute hand on the 39mm Exp. The Milgauss has a bit more "bling" with polished lugs and center links.
Ok thanks to show the differences in movement.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:26 pm

kempoman wrote:
JBZ wrote:To me it comes down to aesthetics. Personally, I prefer the Explorer, but I don't think you really sacrifice anything significant by going with one over the other. The anti-magnetic properties of the Milgauss are probably less relevant now given the blue parachrome hairspring Rolex uses. If you do work in a place with a lot of magnetic conditions, I guess it would still be better to go with the Milgauss.

What's the cost of a pre-owned non-GV Milgauss? I am a little surprised the cost is significantly lower than a 39mm Exp.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:40 pm

JBZ wrote:
Sidheguitarist wrote:The Milgauss strikes me as a very cool watch for adding variety to a reasonably big stable of rotating wearers.

That's the difference.
You've got great taste, Jeff.

I assume yours is the 39mm?

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:50 pm

Sidheguitarist wrote:
JBZ wrote:

That's the difference.
You've got great taste, Jeff.

I assume yours is the 39mm?
Yup. The 36 is just a bit too small for me. Still a great looking piece though.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:00 pm

damn, now I want another EXP.
Oh well.

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Wish the Milgauss were brushed as I prefer the overall dimensions of it to the Explorer. But the 39mm Explorer is a fantastic piece and one I hope to purchase again in 2016.

Last edited by smalls on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

kempoman

Post by kempoman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:55 pm

JBZ wrote:
kempoman wrote:

What's the cost of a pre-owned non-GV Milgauss? I am a little surprised the cost is significantly lower than a 39mm Exp.
A search in watch recon will show the pricing.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:52 pm

kempoman wrote:
JBZ wrote:
kempoman wrote:

I'm sure it will. I thought we were having a conversation.

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Post by Terpits » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:02 pm

114270 for me. The short hand on the 214270 bothers.
If I'd get a short handed watch, I'll go with the SM300.

114270 or 116000 blue dial.
:rimshot:

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:47 am

JBZ wrote:
kempoman wrote:
JBZ wrote:
kempoman wrote:

I'm sure it will. I thought we were having a conversation.
Crickets. I thought that was an odd reply as well?