Rolex help

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
Brimstone
Name: Eric

Rolex help

Post by Brimstone » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:59 am

This watch is posted locally for sale. It's supposed to be from around 2007. What do you guys think? The engraved rehaut looked black and had me questioning it, but I think it may just be a shadow effect. I'm no Rolex expert, so I defer to you guys.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Re: Rolex help

Post by JDC222 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:02 pm

I'm no expert but that's not black...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452110520.202425.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Hard to really tell without more pics, but I don't see anything that immediately leaps out at me as evidence of a fake (I think the "black" effect on the rehaut is a reflection or shadow off the dial, like you say). What's the seller asking? Would he be willing to go to a Rolex AD or watchmaker with you to confirm authenticity? Box and papers?

The crown looks a little beat up.

foodle

Post by foodle » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:33 pm

I can see the rehaut engraving on my screen in the pic.

Does it have papers, box, service history, etc.? What serial number series?

Lugs don't look over polished, but it's hard to say for sure from one pic.

Opening up the back to look at the movement will weed out some of the fakes also, but then you need to replace the gasket and re-test for water resistance. You'll notice that all of the web vintage Rolex sellers always have a pic of the movement as some kind of assurance of authenticity.

Brimstone

Post by Brimstone » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:36 pm

JBZ wrote:Hard to really tell without more pics, but I don't see anything that immediately leaps out at me as evidence of a fake (I think the "black" effect on the rehaut is a reflection or shadow off the dial, like you say). What's the seller asking? Would he be willing to go to a Rolex AD or watchmaker with you to confirm authenticity? Box and papers?

Yeah, it looks well worn and in need of a cleaning. I haven't talked to the guy yet, it was just posted on a Facebook sales page for $4250. I don't know him, but he lives nearby. I would probably want to just meet him at an AD and see what they say.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:42 pm

while not labeled a t-dial, those markers sure look like tritium in that pic

foodle

Post by foodle » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:46 pm

jtbenson wrote:while not labeled a t-dial, those markers sure look like tritium in that pic
Could just be a photo/monitor issue. White balance issue in the image taking and monitor calibration issues in our displays.

Brimstone

Post by Brimstone » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:52 pm

jtbenson wrote:while not labeled a t-dial, those markers sure look like tritium in that pic
He had a lume pic if that helps:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Brimstone wrote:
JBZ wrote:Hard to really tell without more pics, but I don't see anything that immediately leaps out at me as evidence of a fake (I think the "black" effect on the rehaut is a reflection or shadow off the dial, like you say). What's the seller asking? Would he be willing to go to a Rolex AD or watchmaker with you to confirm authenticity? Box and papers?

Yeah, it looks well worn and in need of a cleaning. I haven't talked to the guy yet, it was just posted on a Facebook sales page for $4250. I don't know him, but he lives nearby. I would probably want to just meet him at an AD and see what they say.
If you plan on going forward, that's what I'd do. The price is a little too good - kind of gives me pause, but maybe the guy's looking for a quick sale or doesn't know the market.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:48 pm

Looks fake to me. Not 100% sure what it is. Just looks a bit off.

Endlink fit on top looks bad too, which it shouldn't. Rehaut engraving shouldn't be super obvious.

That said, these days fake Rolexes are VERY hard to tell.
:htfu:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:50 pm

If it is a fake I think one of the ways to tell is to manual move the hands, the Rolex if I remember correctly goes the opposite direction.

Minordamage
Name: Josh

Post by Minordamage » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:13 pm

Asking him to go to an AD for authentication is what I would do. If he balks, he either doesn't wan't that quick money or he is hiding something.
Josh

foodle

Post by foodle » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Minordamage wrote:Asking him to go to an AD for authentication is what I would do. If he balks, he either doesn't wan't that quick money or he is hiding something.
But keep in mind that an AD, even if they have a Rolex certified watchmaker on the premises, can't "authenticate" the watch for you in any kind of official or binding way. This model is recent and common enough that they will likely have experience with it, so they'll be able to spot an obvious fake. Again, next to sending it to a Rolex service center, your next best method of authentication is looking at the movement which they might be able to do for you at the AD's, but you'd have to specifically ask them to do that. Either way, taking it to an AD will likely scare off anyone knowingly selling a fake.

Nomadz
Name: Nick

Post by Nomadz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:29 pm

A picture of the lug markings serial number and lettering us a pretty solid "tell" for a fake. Dial looks correct for its age. It's a luminova dial. Crown looks a like it's poorly made and dented which would be a big and common fake red flag. Ask him to pop the crown so you can see the top of the triple lock. That's another great tell. The fakes never have anything that looks like an actual triple lock.
" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:56 pm

great tips ^^

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:16 am

Coming back to this, the other thing I'd mention from the second picture is that the lume looks kind of uneven and poorly applied (take a look at the six o'clock marker in particular). Could just be the angle of the picture, but another red flag.

Brimstone

Post by Brimstone » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:18 am

After more consideration, I decided to pass either way. I have been set on picking up a Sea Dweller 16600 or 116600 this year, so I am just going to wait and go that direction. I'll be at SHOT Show in a week and try on the 116600 again while I'm in Vegas and see if I can make my mind up. Thanks for all the advice.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:30 am

just a heads up there are fakes with triple locks and engravings (check yuki), the biggest tell in person is to manual adjust the hands, the rolex moves the opposite direction. but hell who knows that is probably faked also. we did SNPR or Fox here to tell us the scoop

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Difficult to tell, one of the easiest give aways with the laser etched rehaut is the letters on the real deal, align perfectly centre with the minute markers of the dial, on the full circumference of the rehaut.

Also with latter movements when you turn the crown clockwise (to adjusting the time), the hour and minute hands should also move clockwise. From what I hear, mechanically its difficult (more effort) to manufacture this into a movement. On ETA 2824 movements, when the crown is wound/turned clock wise, the hands move in a counter clockwise direction.

Best to get it down to a dealer for authentication. A good price though. Good luck. J

PS. Just saw you are going for a SD later this year, nice one. J
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

pwood

Post by pwood » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:56 am

Watch is really nice.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:00 pm

pwood wrote:Watch is really nice.
Spam bot? Stop bumping threads with a shit post.

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:25 pm

matt.wu wrote:Looks fake to me. Not 100% sure what it is. Just looks a bit off.

Endlink fit on top looks bad too, which it shouldn't. Rehaut engraving shouldn't be super obvious.

That said, these days fake Rolexes are VERY hard to tell.
I'm looking at mine right now and the end links don't look right on this one.
Regards

Steve

ezekiel_33

Post by ezekiel_33 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:49 pm

The Basel is incorrect. This is a real Rolex bezel, look at the tips on the one for sale.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ezekiel_33

Post by ezekiel_33 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:57 pm

The SEL is always machined perfect on any and all Rolex Watches. Look closely at the top left lug it's clearly off.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:13 pm

ezekiel_33 wrote:The SEL is always machined perfect on any and all Rolex Watches. Look closely at the top left lug it's clearly off.

Sorry on older Rolex's the end links did not match up all the time.