Talk me into or out of this one

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
sierra11b
Name: Eric

Re: Talk me into or out of this one

Post by sierra11b » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Feels good to be back! :rock:

If "clever" was a way to describe a watch then that would be it for the Milguass.

Forgot just how comfortable this watch is. I also forgot just how much a smear and scratch magnet this one is... Definitely not for the squeamish!

Unless the the YMII has more polished surface area as I've never held one, the Milgauss HAS to have the highest amount of polished to brushed surface area of any current Rolex

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:09 am

sierra11b wrote: Unless the the YMII has more polished surface area as I've never held one, the Milgauss HAS to have the highest amount of polished to brushed surface area of any current Rolex
Congrats. I'm a big fan of the Milgauss.

Milgauss finishing is similar to the Daytona (polished bezel, case, center links) as well as non-sport models (Datejust, DD, etc...). Its large amount of polished surfaces is probably more of the norm than the exception for Rolex, actually.
:htfu:

belligero

Post by belligero » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:15 am

sierra11b wrote:The GV should be back in my hands tomorrow morning and I'm very excited about it. […]

Outside of the Daytona which I've never owned, I've owned almost every single non-PM sports rolex (except the DSSD & BLNR) before you get into vintage models -- and I've owned a few vintage too (1675, 16750, 1680). There's a ton commendable models I'd love to have back, but the 16710 and 116400GV were my absolute modern favorites (3rd being the 216570). Thing is I've never had a stickered Rolex in my name, and 16710 prices are getting ridiculous and all over the place thanks to the WG Pepsi, so this will be a special incoming for me.

Can't have them all, unfortunately... :shrug:
Nice! There’s something special about getting one fresh out of the box.

Agreed with your picks in modern Rolex. While there are many I like, the 16710 and 216570 rank at the top my list, too. What they have in common with the Milgauss is the presence of colour, which gives them a bit more charm than the monochrome ones. The Sea-Dweller, while excellent, just doesn’t inspire the same affection for me.

And you certainly don’t need any more pressure resistance; anything with an Oyster case has more than enough. Heck, you could even wear it for welding pipelines or whatever in the North Sea if you wanted to — Statoil has a 180 m depth limit for diving operations, and I’d be more than confident that the Milgauss could handle that.
sierra11b wrote:[…]Unless the the YMII has more polished surface area as I've never held one, the Milgauss HAS to have the highest amount of polished to brushed surface area of any current Rolex.
The Yacht-Masters (or is it Yachts-Master?) I and II, the Day-Date & Datejust II, the 40mm Day-Date and the Sky-Dweller have a lot of shiny parts on them as well. I think the matte dial on that Milgauss tones down the bling compared to those models.

The wide cases and big honking bezels of 41 mm DDs/DJs certainly give them more raw reflective area than the Milgauss; I'd say those two and the Sky-Dweller have the largest expanse of polished metal among current Rolex models.

Enjoy the new watch!
:cheers:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:11 am

matt.wu wrote:
sierra11b wrote: Unless the the YMII has more polished surface area as I've never held one, the Milgauss HAS to have the highest amount of polished to brushed surface area of any current Rolex

Milgauss finishing is similar to the Daytona (polished bezel, case, center links) as well as non-sport models (Datejust, DD, etc...). Its large amount of polished surfaces is probably more of the norm than the exception for Rolex, actually.
Rolex seems to have gone a bit crazy with the polished surfaces in recent years. If they start polishing the tops of the lugs on the Submariner, they'll have passed the "Breitling point of no return."

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:02 am

JBZ wrote:
matt.wu wrote:

Rolex seems to have gone a bit crazy with the polished surfaces in recent years. If they start polishing the tops of the lugs on the Submariner, they'll have passed the "Breitling point of no return."
Yeah, I forget about Breitling and some of the other brands. I can remember when I owned a Steelfish the level of polish wasn't nearly as close as Rolex. Had almost a buffed rounded look you'd see on chrome bumper or an old school shithouse stainless steel mirror

I'd have to own a GS again to see which brand is more polished, but it seems to be a higher state of polish than I remember. Maybe it's just me? :shrug: After carefully sizing I got a tiny 1mm blemish on the PCLs that left me scratching my head...