HEV Revisited?

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
namor
Name: Seth

HEV Revisited?

Post by namor » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:50 am

Much has been made over the years about the history of the Rolex HEV. How COMEX sat divers were finding the crystals on their Rolex Submariners blowing off from overpressure of helium molecules that infiltrated the case during their ascension from decomp stays in heliox chambers. And the solution was to put a valve in the case that was only actuated by internal pressure. That was the swinging 60s, though, and Rolex has made some pretty big advances in their watches since then.

Does anyone know if the modern Subs (14060, 114060, 16610, and 116610) with their upgraded sapphire crystals can withstand the maximum of roughly 30 bar internal pressure these 300M rated divers could possibly be exposed to? Has it ever been tested? I know that IWC claims the 200bar Aquatimer can also withstand 60bar internal pressure, but I've never seen a figure for that on a Rolex.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Re: HEV Revisited?

Post by jeckyll » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:23 am

This problem has been solved by Seiko & Orient (gogo OS300 ;) ).

I don't think it'll be easy to get details on this from Rolex though. The whole HEV thing is a solved problem. Some via valve, some via big cases with L shaped crystals etc. :)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Re: HEV Revisited?

Post by Henryj » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:28 am

If memory serves, the Eterna/PD Ocean 2000 did the same trick, it relieved internal overpressure by allowing the crystal to lift slightly. This allowed it to depressurize without an HEV.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”