I see that a "trusted" seller is not so trusted (again)

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
Nomadz
Name: Nick

I see that a "trusted" seller is not so trusted (again)

Post by Nomadz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:31 am

Well know to be dodgy, but they are talking about "NBtimes" over at TRF again. Just in case it was not obvious
his stuff is at best "questionable"

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=397937
" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Re: I see that a "trusted" seller is not so trusted (again)

Post by blkgsl » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:37 am

I'm glad I don't like the yellow orange stuff...I can see the doubt. I know nothing about it, so I won't comment...but basically, I like to buy from Wu when a watch is made before 2000.

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:58 am

Its funny, I was just doing some reading on laser welding cases, and this guys name kept popping up all over the place.

It seems obvious that some of these watches are too good to be 'original' (which is how they are usually represented), but the issues that people have raised have never been directly addressed by NBtimes, and they keep allowing him to sell over there. :scratch:
I think if he just represented the watches as having 'restored cases' people would be happier (whoever does the case work is quite skilled). Dials that have been messed with are probably a different story though.

Vintage Rolex is too worrisome for me :snooty:

jbsf3
Name: Jason

Post by jbsf3 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:40 am

blkgsl wrote:I'm glad I don't like the yellow orange stuff...I can see the doubt.
I'm with you there. I tried my hand with vintage Rolex, a 1680 and a 1675, they were nice but ended up returning both. Too many doubts, too beat for the price and too many newer Rolex's out there that I'm interested in. To each their own!

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:00 am

I would love to know the answer.
Ive been looking at his stuff for months.
No freaking way they all have orange patina. Does he use a UV lamp or is it just a filter?

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:03 am

I wouldn't touch his watches with a ten foot pole.

foodle

Post by foodle » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:04 am

mfxr wrote: It seems obvious that some of these watches are too good to be 'original' (which is how they are usually represented), but the issues that people have raised have never been directly addressed by NBtimes, and they keep allowing him to sell over there.
The problem is that none of the accusations have even been proven (or even deeply investigated). He has a steady stream of un-polished, perfectly matched patina watches that seem too good to be true. The suspicion is that he uses laser welded cases and colored lume hands/dials, but no one has ever bought a watch and subjected it to testing. There's some controversy as to whether the laser welded case could be detected at all. However, looking at all the other "trusted" vintage Rolex dealers, you'll see that most of their watches show more wear and non-uniformity with the rare safe-queen thrown in. It seems hard to believe that such a steady stream of legit pristine watches could exist.

Nomadz

Post by Nomadz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:10 am

foodle wrote:
mfxr wrote: It seems obvious that some of these watches are too good to be 'original' (which is how they are usually represented), but the issues that people have raised have never been directly addressed by NBtimes, and they keep allowing him to sell over there.
The problem is that none of the accusations have even been proven (or even deeply investigated). He has a steady stream of un-polished, perfectly matched patina watches that seem too good to be true. The suspicion is that he uses laser welded cases and colored lume hands/dials, but no one has ever bought a watch and subjected it to testing. There's some controversy as to whether the laser welded case could be detected at all. However, looking at all the other "trusted" vintage Rolex dealers, you'll see that most of their watches show more wear and non-uniformity with the rare safe-queen thrown in. It seems hard to believe that such a steady stream of legit pristine watches could exist.
Precisely :thumbsup:
" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:30 am

I bet you he soaking all of those dials in coffee grounds and laser welding the cases.

wrist enthusiast
Name: roger

Post by wrist enthusiast » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:07 am

Just a noob question. What does laser welding the case do?
Roger
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"I am pretty much the best at being modest"
"If they gave an award for being me, I would totally win."

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:10 am

wrist enthusiast wrote:Just a noob question. What does laser welding the case do?
Basically they infill pits and dents in a case with new matching metal and grind clean.

http://www.newdwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=6478

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:12 am

dnslater wrote:
wrist enthusiast wrote:Just a noob question. What does laser welding the case do?
Basically they infill pits and dents in a case with new matching metal and grind clean.

http://www.newdwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=6478
^^^This and you can build up lugs that have been polished too much or damaged and have them cut back down to the og specs. Nothing wrong with it just it isn't og if you do this.

wrist enthusiast
Name: roger

Post by wrist enthusiast » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Got it. thanks. Yeah, that may turn out looking good but for sure that lands in the category of requiring "full disclosure".

Like when I bought this watch from Christopher Walken. Then later I was all " it smells like..". I sit down and Pulp Fiction is one.

[Turns to the sky and screams] WALKEN!
Roger
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"I am pretty much the best at being modest"
"If they gave an award for being me, I would totally win."

sinner
Closet Baller
Name: Sum Ting Wong

Post by sinner » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:22 pm

:roll:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Those dudes on TRF sure are 'wordy' lol

Who the hell has time to type all that Sht?

And who reads it all?

They spent most of their time jumping on the hate train - then turned on each other in the end... Funny
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:27 pm

I have been skeptical of him for years. What's also disconcerting is his limited interaction on the forum which never seems genuine. Comments like, "nice watch" repeated over and over... :rolleyes:

Speaking of if it walks and talks like a duck what about Andrew Shear? Looks like everything he gets literally comes out of a time capsule... We're going to question this cat because he's from HK and not Shear because he caters to the wealthy, has a cool site, and likely gets a lot of his watches from Asia, too? They gotta be genuine because they’re priced to the moon, right? :shrug:

I'd be wary of anyone selling homerun after homerun which is why I like going to Jacek's site amongst a few others.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:53 pm

TRF forum is second place to TZ. Paneristi is the worst imo. That place will ban you if you have bad sale or been scammed.

Knome
Name: Ken

Post by Knome » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:13 am

Sheartime always has what seems to be super high quality pieces but according to the site, they don't offer a bottomless supply of them at least. Either way, they are priced way out of range for me to ever consider.

koda240
Hot Legs!
Name: David

Post by koda240 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:44 am

If you're going to deal with vintage Rolexes you're going to have to accept that part of the job description is skepticism from others. It's par for course. Fair? Perhaps not, but realistic? Yes!

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Knome wrote:Sheartime always has what seems to be super high quality pieces but according to the site, they don't offer a bottomless supply of them at least. Either way, they are priced way out of range for me to ever consider.
Maybe their non-bottomless supply means he's caching them or simply cannot get to Asia often enough? Look, if I had a gun to my head I'd choose a watch from Andrew over Ben 100% of the time, but if I'm spending my money I choose neither based on the accusations associated with Ben but not anyone else.

I'm not here to protect Ben having never worked with him but it seems provenance has never been in question with most of these top sellers. Andrew's huge premium on time-capsule-condition watches is no guarantee of authenticity but I'm willing to bet most people assume authenticity/reputation comes with that increase. :shrug:

thach
Name: Thach

Post by thach » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:36 am

Well that was a fun read. Thanks Nick.

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Mon May 25, 2015 5:50 pm

toxicavenger wrote:TRF forum is second place to TZ. Paneristi is the worst imo. That place will ban you if you have bad sale or been scammed.
Yep. I got scammed at p.com. Alerted a mod, got no response so I posted a "watch out". That got their attention and I was treated like a criminal by the mods (even though they acknowledged the guy, under the same user name, had scammed other members and rhey did nothing about it). They started demanding to know details of our transaction including PII stuff they had no business (or need) knowing. I haven't been back since.

Actually, I take that back. I saw someone posted a FS post using my exact post from years ago (lifted word for word and pictures). I again alerted the mods, no response and they didn't delete the thread (even thoigh I sent a link to my original post from two years earlier).

F that place. As far as I'm concerned, every seller there is a scammer.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch