Advice / help from Tudor experts

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Advice / help from Tudor experts

Post by poppydog » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:26 pm

or anyone who does their own servicing / repairs.

I have a 1981 Tudor Sub that is finally knackered - movement works off-and-one after a vigorous shake - and I want to replace the movement with a new ETA. Can anyone tell me what tools I'll need? I've registered with Cousins UK, and thought it would make a good project for me.
Regards

Steve

mfxr
Name: MattF

Re: Advice / help from Tudor experts

Post by mfxr » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:55 am

You are a braver man than me. Sounds like a good challenge though :thumbsup:

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:46 am

Sounds cool!

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:15 am

no sage advice/experience, but please document the process for us :salute:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:03 am

Steve, if it was me I would get the movement serviced since that is a robust factory movement I bet the only issue with is that it is dry or the oils have thickened over time. I personally wouldn't replace it with a new one. Another problem you could run into is a new ETA mvt. might have the date window not in the exact place so your numbers might be slightly off. Then you have to worry about whether the case mount screws line up to you new mvt.

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:08 am

You want to destroy your watch's value??
-David

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:26 am

dshap wrote:You want to destroy your watch's value??
This. Why not just get the old movement serviced?

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:28 am

toxicavenger wrote:Steve, if it was me I would get the movement serviced since that is a robust factory movement I bet the only issue with is that it is dry or the oils have thickened over time. I personally wouldn't replace it with a new one. Another problem you could run into is a new ETA mvt. might have the date window not in the exact place so your numbers might be slightly off. Then you have to worry about whether the case mount screws line up to you new mvt.
+1

Do not put a new movement in it!!!

Just send it to me.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:50 pm

Thanks fellas, I looked into getting it serviced at the AD where I purchased my SD and Sub and they told me it would have to go to Switzerland and would take best part of a year if they could do it, but that they had known older Tudors to be returned un-repaired as there were no parts. The winding stem has become detached and there are signs of rust on the rehaut.
Last edited by poppydog on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Steve

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:51 pm

dshap wrote:You want to destroy your watch's value??
Yeah, that's the only reason I want to do it.
Regards

Steve

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:55 pm

toxicavenger wrote:Steve, if it was me I would get the movement serviced since that is a robust factory movement I bet the only issue with is that it is dry or the oils have thickened over time. I personally wouldn't replace it with a new one. Another problem you could run into is a new ETA mvt. might have the date window not in the exact place so your numbers might be slightly off. Then you have to worry about whether the case mount screws line up to you new mvt.
Thanks Terry, hadn't thought of that, although it's a non-date. The old movement is now obsolete according to google search (can't remember where I found that) and was hoping there'd be a modern replacement, though obviously not modified in the same way as the original. I'd rather just get it serviced but see my other post.
Regards

Steve

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:44 am

If it's a 2776 I will buy the mvt from you. Seriously let me know.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:54 am

poppydog wrote:Thanks fellas, I looked into getting it serviced at the AD where I purchased my SD and Sub and they told me it would have to go to Switzerland and would take best part of a year if they could do it, but that they had known older Tudors to be returned un-repaired as there were no parts. The winding stem has become detached and there are signs of rust on the rehaut.
I'd go directly to a RSC before I gave up all hope. Sometimes AD's aren't the best resource for stuff like this. You may also want to consult a good local watchmaker in your area if you know of any.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:10 am

poppydog wrote:
Thanks Terry, hadn't thought of that, although it's a non-date. The old movement is now obsolete according to google search (can't remember where I found that) and was hoping there'd be a modern replacement, though obviously not modified in the same way as the original. I'd rather just get it serviced but see my other post.
I bet you Jack @ IWW or ABC Watch Werks could fix that for you. So honestly I would contact them first and go from there. Hell if you need a middle man than let me know and we can figure something out. I just don't want you to get B.S.'ed on that watch. This model of movement get's work on allot so I don't think parts would be there hard to find at all.

Send me a pm and we can figure something out.

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:24 am

toxicavenger wrote:
poppydog wrote:
I bet you Jack @ IWW or ABC Watch Werks could fix that for you. So honestly I would contact them first and go from there. Hell if you need a middle man than let me know and we can figure something out. I just don't want you to get B.S.'ed on that watch. This model of movement get's work on allot so I don't think parts would be there hard to find at all.

Thanks again Terry, that's really kind of you. I think I'll approach Rolex UK directly first, and then maybe see if there's a more local Rolex-trained / approved watchmaker. I don't plan on selling the watch, I just want to be able to use it again, and assumed the AD I'd spoken to was the only option. Cheers mate, DWC :rock:
Regards

Steve

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:25 am

JBZ wrote:
poppydog wrote:Thanks fellas, I looked into getting it serviced at the AD where I purchased my SD and Sub and they told me it would have to go to Switzerland and would take best part of a year if they could do it, but that they had known older Tudors to be returned un-repaired as there were no parts. The winding stem has become detached and there are signs of rust on the rehaut.
I'd go directly to a RSC before I gave up all hope. Sometimes AD's aren't the best resource for stuff like this. You may also want to consult a good local watchmaker in your area if you know of any.
Thanks for that; good advice that hadn't occurred to me.
Regards

Steve

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:31 am

poppydog wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
poppydog wrote:

Thanks again Terry, that's really kind of you. I think I'll approach Rolex UK directly first, and then maybe see if there's a more local Rolex-trained / approved watchmaker. I don't plan on selling the watch, I just want to be able to use it again, and assumed the AD I'd spoken to was the only option. Cheers mate, DWC :rock:
see what they but you have to tell them that if possible you don't want any parts replaced unless it was broken. It would suck if they changed out your dial/hands and then charged you for it.

Either way I honestly don't think it is something supper serious or the watch wouldn't run at all.

If you need anything that I can help with than let me know and good luck.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:21 pm

What about sending it to Rikki, Ridley or the others? Ben's guy? You'll have to bite the bullet on service but I agree with Terry and don't think it's as serious as it might seem. Just needs some TLC from someone versed in vintage Rolex with a cache of parts.