Mmm, Pepsi!

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Mmm, Pepsi!

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:44 am

jbsf3 wrote:Just based on the color combination I guess? Haven't heard too many failures on the all black or black/blue models.
Red ceramic is hard to make in general, since it tends to brown when fired. Rolex patented "vibrant red ceramic" about two years before the Pepsi and Omega has been struggling to make orange for years.

Combining the blue pigment over the red and having a neat and consistent line is apparently the difficult part. There's a reason why Rolex started with blue/black: their similarity makes a slightly messy join less obvious and impregnating the blue bezel with black results in a more even covering of color. I have no doubt that Rolex knew the huge demand for a Pepsi and put it out almost as soon as it was technically (not necessarily commercially) feasible.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:45 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
jbsf3 wrote:Just based on the color combination I guess? Haven't heard too many failures on the all black or black/blue models.
Red ceramic is hard to make in general, since it tends to brown when fired. Rolex patented "vibrant red ceramic" about two years before the Pepsi and Omega has been struggling to make orange for years.

Combining the blue pigment over the red and having a neat and consistent line is apparently the difficult part. There's a reason why Rolex started with blue/black: their similarity makes a slightly messy join less obvious and impregnating the blue bezel with black results in a more even covering of color. I have no doubt that Rolex knew the huge demand for a Pepsi and put it out almost as soon as it was technically (not necessarily commercially) feasible.
Good info and I really dislike that blue they used for the pepsi. They should use more of a true blue imo.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:45 am

toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
jbsf3 wrote:$5K just for the bezel!?!?!? That's nuts!
The failure rate was incredible, I've heard it's less than one out of twenty-five that's acceptable.
:o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've also heard it's 1/100, but I'm not sure I buy that extreme. No matter what though, it's hard to make and priced astronomically because of it. The color in real life is nice, but it looked dull and flat next to my Pepsi 16710.

On edit: I've yet to see a nice blue ceramic. It all looks rather languid.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:48 am

I like the new blue ceramic Rado
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:56 am

toxicavenger wrote:I like the new blue ceramic Rado
I'd have to see it in person. So far, I think Omega Blue is the best I've seen in person.

jbsf3
Name: Jason

Post by jbsf3 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:59 am

Jacob - thanks for the very informative post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:03 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:I like the new blue ceramic Rado
I'd have to see it in person. So far, I think Omega Blue is the best I've seen in person.
Your right it might look different in person. I like the Omega Seamaster ceramic bezel the best.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:06 am

jbsf3 wrote:$5K just for the bezel!?!?!? Sounds about right

Michael Kobold
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:08 am

CGSshorty wrote:
jbsf3 wrote:$5K just for the bezel!?!?!? Sounds about right

Michael Kobold
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:09 am

jbsf3 wrote:Jacob - thanks for the very informative post.
You're welcome :thumbsup:

My wife is into ceramics so we've discussed it which lead me to look into the patents. This watch is ugly as hell:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/arieladams/ ... -platinum/

But it's Omega's first orange ceramic watch... in a platinum case. I expect these low volume super expensive watches are simply serving as proof of concept while the technology matures. It will be interesting to see when Omega fits the orange ceramic (which is uglier than the anodized insert) into the standard PO.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:11 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
jbsf3 wrote:Jacob - thanks for the very informative post.
You're welcome :thumbsup:

My wife is into ceramics so we've discussed it which lead me to look into the patents. This watch is ugly as hell:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/arieladams/ ... -platinum/

But it's Omega's first orange ceramic watch... in a platinum case. I expect these low volume super expensive watches are simply serving as proof of concept while the technology matures. It will be interesting to see when Omega fits the orange ceramic (which is uglier than the anodized insert) into the standard PO.
WOW that is ugly, looks like they are doing what Rolex has been doing for years, charging crazy prices for gaudy stuff. :crybaby:

P.S. it would look great with Becky's permanent tan.